Thoughts on Leaking and Wobble

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a wobble in mine not long after purchasing, called MineLab they ask that I return the middle shaft. Before I returned the shaft, I made a drawing of the shaft alone with measurement’s so I could compare when the replacement was received. After receiving the replacement shat checked against my drawing and found that there was a slight difference in the two shafts this seemed to be enough to take care of the wobble, that was in April I believe have not had any problems since.

My biggest concerned today is the leaking problem I keep hearing about. So far, I have not dunked my under water yet. I do have a question about the leaking problem, after watching couple You Tube videos of a guys that said their Nox’s filled with water both these guys had aftermarket waterproof head phones. One guy had put silicone sealant on to keep water out, that I have to scratch my head and say why? If they are waterproof why put sealant on the connections, I have noticed there are some dealers that now have the waterproof head phones made by MineLab, I have to wonder if some of the leaking is happing due to third party head phone makers. Some of the third parties head phones are less expensive the MineLab phones. I’m reluctantly to dunk my 800 but in some ways, I would like to dunk it just to make sure it does not leak because I’m planning on purchasing the waterproof head phones from MineLab. For me the Nox has been a great machine out it out performs my Garrett AT Max I hardly ever use the Max.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long did they take to replace it?

Matt.

OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long did they take to replace it?

Matt.

Shipping was 2 days there and 2 days back and 1 day to turn around 5 days total. Minelab paid shipping to and from Napperville, IL

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don,t I think about. Life is to short.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The headphone jack is sealed behind the metallic jack contacts, so it doesn't matter if you just dunk it in the water without a headphone plugged in and even without that dust cover, no water should get in the control head. So it certainly doesn't matter what type of headphone you plug into it. Dunk it and if it leaks get it replaced. Simple as that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...:skullflag:

Attachments

• HVBlog-Images.jpg
    HVBlog-Images.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 117

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh shameful me, I've had my 800 now my 4th day and I've yet to turn it on. I did have my Excal out in the water for 4 hours yesterday, and Steve again kicked my butt with his Tiger Shark. The major difference I see is that he pin points far more easily than the Excal does. I scoop too much to make any kind of speed in the hunts.

As for the 800, it's way too hot here to hit the dirt. With the leakage incidents I'm seeing, I'm not real anxious to dunk it. Plus, in the murky waters I usually hunt in, that black coil would be invisible at any kind of depth.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Equinox swimming three days in a row with the new headphones. Works like a charm.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
With the leakage incidents I'm seeing, I'm not real anxious to dunk it.

The wobble is a small concern but this leakage problem is a major concern for me. I've made up my mind that this is the machine for me and hope they can fix the issue before next March when I plan on getting one, if not I might not.
I'm not sure what happens if there was a problem after I got it with shipping it back since I'm in Canada. If the product is faulty I'm not paying a cent even to ship it to the States.
Where's the quality control? How does it reach the market with these issues?
This is exactly why I will never pre order or buy any machine that just comes on the market. I want to hear all about it (good and bad).
In 25 years I've only ever had to replace the battery holder on my GTAx 1000 and Garrett quickly sent it to me for free and that was 15 years after I bought it.
I have a little OCD with keeping things minty mint :happysmiley:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Where's the quality control? How does it reach the market with these issues?
This is exactly why I will never pre order or buy any machine that just comes on the market. I want to hear all about it (good and bad).

Nearly all products have a 1-5% faulty ratio...so hearing about issues isn't surprising since most people with issues are vocal about it. Whether or not these issues, the wobble and leaking, are more than that % is anyone's guess. I mean I don't have either issue and neither do a bunch of other people. But yea products can be brought to market to fast so sometimes pre ordering or getting it right away doesn't pay off, just depends. For me, it was definitely worth it for the nox, if there is an issue I have a 3 yr warranty and I also wasn't as concerned because I wasn't dropping 2k like I did with the CTX.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Nearly all products have a 1-5% faulty ratio...so hearing about issues isn't surprising since most people with issues are vocal about it. Whether or not these issues, the wobble and leaking, are more than that % is anyone's guess. I mean I don't have either issue and neither do a bunch of other people. But yea products can be brought to market to fast so sometimes pre ordering or getting it right away doesn't pay off, just depends. For me, it was definitely worth it for the nox, if there is an issue I have a 3 yr warranty and I also wasn't as concerned because I wasn't dropping 2k like I did with the CTX.

Glad you're not having any issues. I'm just a little worried about the leaks since I'll be using/dunking it in shallow water.
The 800 is a very appealing machine and I'm looking forward to putting it to the test not only in water but in heavy trashy areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread