Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initial thoughts on the Equinox 6" coil

Initial thoughts on the Equinox 6" coil:

Park 2, iron bias 3, recovery 5, GB 0, sens 23.

Ok, I hate to give it away before I've even written anything, but let me just start off by saying, "Wow!"

I just slid my boots on and stepped outside in the yard for a good half hour early morning hunt, just so I could see what this new coil was all about. I wasn't disappointed in the least. This thing is going to be a cherrypicker's DREAM!

After getting a few less than desirable signals in the mid-teens range, I decided to maximize my time and put this thing in coin mode. I notched out everything 22 and under - gone!

What I noticed is that the machine is incredibly stable with this coil. None of that blip, bloop, bleep stuff going on at all.

Depth is to be expected. I was getting BANGING signals on clad dimes at 3-4 inches. So I'd be willing to bet that you could potentially recover a dime at 6 inches.

With the smaller size of this coil, there's no need for pinpointing at all. When you get a signal, you're over the target, plain and simple. Center of the coil is where it's at.

The weight and balance of the machine is really a pleasure when using this coil. Reminds me a lot of my Deus. Like swinging a stick.

All in all, for around 30 minutes of swing time, I recovered two clad dimes, a clad quarter, and an aluminum arcade token. I dug no trash targets once I had it in coin mode, and every coin i dug, the machine was clearly telling me it was a good target - crisp and clean dropoff on the swing with a steady ID.

Truthfully, I wouldn't want to waste my time going over any trashy site which had already been hit with this 6" coil - not with any machine. This coil really vacuums up what is left behind by the larger coils. So far, I've hit this yard at least twenty times with my Deus with both the 11" and the 9" HF coil, and probably five or six times with the 11" Equinox coil. And I still found forty-five cents even after all that with this coil.

If you're a park hunter or if you hunt any place that has a lot of trash, do yourself a favor and get this coil. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review. I'm on the waiting list for this coil. Can't wait to use this, we have permission on a site that's loaded with square nails. I got a Barber quarter and Mary got a Barber dime there. I know there's more!

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one on the way as well. Glad to hear your review. Can't wait to swing the equinox with this coil. Keep us posted on how the coil does when you get out on some more hunts.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the heads up and settings. I have an extremely trashy part that I have avoided hunting for the obvious reasons that the Nox with the 11 inch coil is very chatty. In this park I think I could fill up a gallon jug of park dirt and find 6 - 12 pieces of trash.

None of that blip, bloop, bleep stuff going on at all. (I like that description, just about what it all sounds like.)

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice review. Can't wait for it to stop raining here so I can have at it.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review. That sounds great ! I just got mine today , I lucked out a dealer had 1 in stock . I cant wait to get out in some really trashy areas with it . I have actually been pretty impressed with the separation on the 11" coil but I think this is going to be the ticket with these trashy areas.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like you may be like a kid in the candy store now. I know that you have been really wanting this coil and for good reasons. I know that you will be letting us know about things like depth etc soon enough. another very valuable tool for you to work with :icon_thumright:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six schmix, I still want to see an 8x5 incher. Since the dawn of detecting an 8" coil has proven the best coinshooter and that has not changed.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six schmix, I still want to see an 8x5 incher. Since the dawn of detecting an 8" coil has proven the best coinshooter and that has not changed.
Well this is what we have to work with right now. Email Minelab and maybe they'll look into it. Dunno.

I'm just reporting on what we do have.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't please everybody, but I too wish they had come up with a thin 8x5 elliptical too (but not INSTEAD of the 6-inch round).

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so these settings are more for the coin hunter in trashy sites, not for gold. I understand the sheer amount of trashy "gold signals" can be overwhelming at some of these places. this will make some people very happy for sure.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info on the 6" coil. Went to trashy park with my new 6" coil on my 800. Used your settings and had good results. 12 clad in 1 hour in trashiest part of park. All signals were solid and all were coins except one brass electrical park. Very productive not digging trash.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ditto on the pin pointing, plus light and great for swinging in creeks.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice review.

I love the coil.
If you get tired detecting using this coil with Nox you need to find a new hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread