discrimination vs tone breaks on my Equinox 800

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunting a trashy park. will discriminate 22 and below. will be using my new 6 inch coil i received on July 20, 2018.

I have read using discrimination will reduce the effective depth on the 800.

Is that true?

If so then i could just set two tone breaks with 1st tone break last position being 22 and set the volume and pitch lower for break one and both volume and pitch higher for the 23 and above. This should accomplish the same desired effect without affecting target depth.

Am I correct?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a trashy park. will discriminate 22 and below. will be using my new 6 inch coil i received on July 20, 2018.

I have read using discrimination will reduce the effective depth on the 800.

Is that true?

If so then i could just set two tone breaks with 1st tone break last position being 22 and set the volume and pitch lower for break one and both volume and pitch higher for the 23 and above. This should accomplish the same desired effect without affecting target depth.

Am I correct?

The way Equinox applies its discrimination filters, appears to be more like notch. It is more than an audio mask, but it acts like an audio mask and DOES NOT appear to AFFECT detection DEPTH of non-discriminated targets in the least from what I can tell. This is different than the Deus which allows discrimination to be run up pretty high but you lose significant depth when disc is set to high numbers, that is why XP included notch which is really just an audio mask/blanker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread