Let's find out just where and how those drowned Equinoxs failed, I've heard of 4 now

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Those of you who have EQ's which have leaked water, could you please tell us what seal on your control module failed, as best as you can determine and what failed about the machine.

Maybe we should document failings and sources here to better give Minelab something to look at and fix.

It's been recommended that I just dunk mine and see if it fails right off the bat and await a replacement.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox has two seals that I know of. One behind the headphone jack and a double O-ring seal in the battery module. Otherwise, the control module is seal "welded" around the plastic seam and has to be dremeled off to get to the circuit board.

As far as the failures are concerned. I know of two, relatively quick, failures (probably incomplete "welding" of the plastic case) and one that failed after 50 some hours in the water (perhaps entrained salt water in the battery well causing a seal failure or perhaps one of the two seals was bad or missing due to a manufacturing flaw - who knows). I also know of several (more than 10) dedicated water hunters that have not had failures after 100 or more hours in the water.

To get a feel for the actual watertight performance of the unit, you really need to know how many people are getting their machines wet vs. how many are failing. ML is not questioning any failures right now and honoring all warranty replacements. This thing is also setting sales records, but that does not tell us how many are actually getting used in the water.

Hopefully, the handful of people who have failed units will respond, but hopefully others who have many hours on the Equinox submerged will also respond.

ML is already assessing the failures for design or manufacturing flaws already because they are the ones who are fixing them. Partial data from a single forum of a subset of Equinox users is likely not going to give ML any additional failure data. I am interested in who does respond because that would be good to know. Really should be" "Have you had your Equinox in the water? For how many hours? DId it fail? You don't just want to be getting the failure reports because that doesn't give you perspective on the whether there is a design flaw vs. a manufacturing flaw.

If you don't want to use the unit in the water, then no need to get it wet. If you do, then best to find out sooner rather than later if your machine has an issue. It's going to be covered by the warranty and replaced quickly. HTH.

Good luck and hope you get some good response to your request.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari is correct. I would still give yours a bath. The company will stand behind it's warranty, but once the warranty is up, it's up, which is of course that way with anything.

I doubt the failures are widespread. If they are getting a failure in one in a hundred or one in a thousand sold, I sincerely doubt they will do anything quickly. It will or may be addressed in the next upgrade. Or when the next unit to replace the equinox. In a few years. Forums like these can magnify goofs, but the real numbers only Minelab knows and apparently they are not panicking right now.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have over 100hrs on mine in and out of the gulf saltwater and no issues so far.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well two of the guys with failed units hunt the same area that is why I thought maybe heat related then entering cold water.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting theory. The Equinox has been known to get overheated (shows up as a blackened LCD display) when sitting exposed to direct sunlight and hot temps. It recovers when allowed to cool down in the shade, but who knows if that loosens up the seals.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never go straight to the water as I usually hunt a long stretch of dry sand first and then some wet sand if available due to tides then I go into the water. Oh and our water temps right now are 90 degrees. I do not keep my detector in my car for long as our daytime temps in my car can be over 150 degrees

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've dunked mine in the atlantic multiple times, water temps 65-85 degrees no problem.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought maybe entering through the liquid weld.
Just my thought on it.
Also the two guys I watch had them go down during the heat wave if I remember right.
But like mentioned earlier they sold a lot of these machines so I am not worried yet.

That is an interesting theory. The Equinox has been known to get overheated (shows up as a blackened LCD display) when sitting exposed to direct sunlight and hot temps. It recovers when allowed to cool down in the shade, but who knows if that loosens up the seals.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over 100hrs on mine in and out of the gulf saltwater and no issues so far.

Same here. I don't dive with mine, just surf hunt. I also shower mine off at the end of the day. So far, so good. :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought maybe entering through the liquid weld.
Just my thought on it.
Also the two guys I watch had them go down during the heat wave if I remember right.
But like mentioned earlier they sold a lot of these machines so I am not worried yet.

As long as the percentages are low (less than 3 to 5%) and they stand behind their product, and that it shows up BEFORE the warranty expires, then I am ok with it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions