relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I’m one of the lucky ones whose equinox does not have a wobbly shaft problem. One of my lower shafts ( I think for the 6” coil) was not as snug as I like and I used a piece of clear shipping tape one layer with no overlap and it tightened everything up like a charm.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I was lucky also. I got my 600 last March and put it together and have never had to tighten the cam locks. Minelab may have got a bad batch of cam locks at some point and didn’t know it till it became a real problem with all the complaints coming in. These two detectors the 800 and 600 were in such demand at the time that I think they just tried to get them out as soon as possible to satisfy the demand. Maybe just maybe they learned a lesson and have tighter tolerances now because I haven’t heard anyone that just purchased one complain lately.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just over the moon happy that Minelab made such an absolute BEAST of a machine for such a low price!

They could have doubled the price there still would have been a waiting list!

There ain't a single detector on the planet as capable as the Equinox 800 under a grand.

7 months I've owned it and I freaking love it!

Just think how awesome the next version of the Equinox would be...how could they possibly improve on it?

Light, Waterproof, single or multi frequency!

Hell yeah!

Thank you, Minelab!!!!

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just broke down and bought the Andersson carbon fiber shift little extra money out of my pocket fixed the problem and looks great :)))
Should have bought a roll of tape for $1.
Fix the problem.

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a detect Ed carbon fiber upper with cam lock, looks and works great

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not experienced the wobble, but I did ask Minelab about this issue. Here is the response I got.

"There is no longer any issue with the shafts after an adjustment was done. The serial numbers are not done in a way where I can provide you with a particular indication as to whether it is a newer unit or not, though if you purchase one I can verify the date of production. The Equinox did sell very fast, so it is less likely you would end up with one of the originals."

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was okay until I got some decent hours on it then it got sloppy.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably buy a carbon fiber shaft just because it seems the NOX balances better with one. I know I'm being picky, but I don't like the idea that I HAVE to buy one due to a design defect. That probably doesn't make much sense to many, but to me it does.

In any case I really hope they did fix the issue.

-Joe

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll probably buy a carbon fiber shaft just because it seems the NOX balances better with one. I know I'm being picky, but I don't like the idea that I HAVE to buy one due to a design defect. That probably doesn't make much sense to many, but to me it does.

In any case I really hope they did fix the issue.

-Joe

Look into Steves new design. Counterweighted and super solid.
20190202_150435.jpg

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into Steves new design. Counterweighted and super solid.
View attachment 1678472

I've looked at the posts, but I haven't seen the 'spreadsheet'. It sounds like there are many options and I'm not sure what to order. The 'other' brand seems to be a simple order and replace... not all the options. I guess I just don't understand.

Thanks,
-Joe

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe,

The options are not really as difficult as perhaps I've made them out to be; I try to offer options, so as to please the maximum number of customers (and their varying needs/wants).

But, to simplify, here's how to figure it out -- two basic questions...

1. Are you interested in the counterweight (either now, or possibly some day later)? IF so, you pick the shaft that includes a threaded butt end (to someday screw that counterweight into). Otherwise, you choose the shaft WITHOUT the threaded butt end.

2. Are you interested in button holes in the shaft (to accept the spring button in the lower rod)? OR, do you prefer to simply trust the very strong/secure cam lock I use on my shafts, to securely connect the upper and lower rods, and thus enjoy the benefit of having universal adjustment capability in lower rod length? In other words, the ability to adjust the lower rod to ANY length you wish, as opposed to your adjustment lengths being limited to specific button hole locations?

That is it! Button holes, or no button holes; counterweight compatibility, or no counterweight compatibility. That's all you need to decide. From there, I'll provide you the shaft you want...

Send me a PM if you are interested, and I will assure you it's a "simple order and replace," as you desire! :)

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All New Detector Models have the Potential for Issues.

sure they send them out to Testers, But Testers have
reason to Ignore & or Lie. if They want to keep that Field Tester Title.

If your Willing to Buy a New Brand or Model in the first year or so,
Ya gotta take the good with the bad.

This is why I Never buy a Model that isn't at least a few years in the making.

And You "Real" People Give opinions

Let someone else find & report the Issues.
& Buy after all the Growing Pains have been Fixed.

I'm sure Minelab is Making a List of issues & Planing on a Permanent Fix.:coffee2:

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All New Detector Models have the Potential for Issues.

sure they send them out to Testers, But Testers have
reason to Ignore & or Lie. if They want to keep that Field Tester Title.

If your Willing to Buy a New Brand or Model in the first year or so,
Ya gotta take the good with the bad.

This is why I Never buy a Model that isn't at least a few years in the making.

And You "Real" People Give opinions

Let someone else find & report the Issues.
& Buy after all the Growing Pains have been Fixed.

I'm sure Minelab is Making a List of issues & Planing on a Permanent Fix.:coffee2:

I like being the first to have the best I’m just that guy. If problem happens fix it and keep swinging. I got the Anderson shaft and it was great.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my thoughts. I have only put around 20 hours on my new 600 and so far haven't noticed any wobble. I love this machine and personally I would have paid $1000 for it, it's that good. So I figure if I have to buy a carbon shaft the machine is still good value for money.
Even if I don't get any wobble I will probably still get a carbon shaft, this machine's a keeper.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are my thoughts. I have only put around 20 hours on my new 600 and so far haven't noticed any wobble. I love this machine and personally I would have paid $1000 for it, it's that good. So I figure if I have to buy a carbon shaft the machine is still good value for money.
Even if I don't get any wobble I will probably still get a carbon shaft, this machine's a keeper.

You’ll love it and it looks sharp and lighter.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will add weight. Top heavy, no, since it's already bottom heavy, I doubt you'll have that problem. Don't think the aftermarket fix for the original bad testing will do anything but help you. I'd go for either one of the fixes. Just add $$$.

Truth1253, being the first means you have to wade through disappointment many times. My daughter with a computer science degree always warns me about getting the latest version of a computer software until it is on the market at least 6 months to avoid this exact issue. Also applies to cars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread