Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paul,

Adding a carbon-fiber shaft won't make it MORE bottom heavy; the "bottom-heaviness" is of course the result of a heavy coil (relatively speaking) at the end of a long "lever." The weight of the lever (shaft) in this case does not alter that equation much. However, adding some counterweight CAN address the "nose-heaviness" of the machine, which is why I offer a counterweighting system as one of the options, with my shaft system. While it seems counter-intiutive to "add weight" to a "light machine," in reality what many find, is that right amount of weight added, to offset the weight of the coil, can make for a MUCH more confortable machine, for many folks.

Steve

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Hard to explain but when you swing the machine with the CW it totally feels like a different machine all together

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Hard to explain but when you swing the machine with the CW it totally feels like a different machine all together

Next time we group hunt I want to swing your new setup. I watched your video on the shaft. Can you now hunt without needing the Velcro cuff strap?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time we group hunt I want to swing your new setup. I watched your video on the shaft. Can you now hunt without needing the Velcro cuff strap?

Sure thing! Honestly? I like using the strap. I like how it makes everything lock into place......or at least give it that illusion. I took the counter weight off the shaft last night and after swinging back and forth about 5 times I started getting that front shoulder pull again that was annoying to me before! Night and day difference.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going back and forth on the counterweight which I haven't purchased yet. I swung Steve's shaft setup with the large Equinox 15x12 coil for about 4 hours on a frozen beach and had little arm fatigue. I think the counter weight would be interesting but it certainly was ok without it. I typically swung with the arm strap, especially if I felt my arm was getting tired but alternated back and forth without the strap because it was a pain to slip it over my jacket.

20190203_122433.jpg 20190203_143611.jpg

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chase,

That's quite a "maiden voyage," for the new shaft, LOL! BRRR!

Thanks again for your purchase! :)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread