Equinox shaft wobble

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question to all who own an equinox and have the shaft wobble. As a group of consumers why are we letting Minelab off the hook with this concern? I have been swinging my 800 for about 50 hrs. now and am starting to feel a wobble. I am a very capable DIY type guy and can probably come up with a solution. However I like all of you I paid $900 for a machine that is supposed to be designed to swing. It seems ridiculous to me that Minelab will not correct the issue. I see other Nox users posting about how they paid $100 or more to fix the "defect". Why are you all letting Minelab get away without correcting This issue? This is my first Minelab product, I like the Nox don't get me wrong. I will be contacting Minelab bout this issue. Hopefully all of you experiencing this annoying problem will also.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope you get it fixed. That's A good deal of money for a defect like that.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all they have to do is replace those locks with a beefier version and everybody's happy. They don't exist yet? the lock supplier is getting the heat I'm sure so should be a real fix soon.

OP
OP
J

Juiceman

Jun 20, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, however if everyone on the boards is happily replacing the shafts for $100 + there is no reason why Minelab would fix the problem! Especially if no one is complaining to the company.
all they have to do is replace those locks with a beefier version and everybody's happy. They don't exist yet? the lock supplier is getting the heat I'm sure so should be a real fix soon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point in the game it almost seems like this was done on purpose. Seriously they can't create a detector that doesn't wobble. That's hard to believe.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told them about it but waiting till they got a real answer. i (fixed) my stock shaft but made another one piece upper for water hunting + it was fun.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So ML is going after the lock supplier? That is the feedback you got from ML or are you speculating. Not clear what the story is from this and your other later post.

Appears to be more than a lock problem too. At least, it appears that he locks work fine for some of the shaft configurations. I think they have a combination of iffy locks PLUS some sort of quality control issue with their shaft dimensions. I have an 800 that has no wobble with stock components and then I have a 600 that has wobble. I noticed that if I take the 600 lower rod and attach it to the 800 and there is a bit of wobble. So ML seems to be just sending replacement shafts and rods out to customers that are complaining and crossing their fingers they will get a matching set that does not wobble. But with three pieces, anything can happen. I got the Anderson shaft, because it is an overall superior product., lighter and sturdier with adjustments for both the armrest AND the pod and it is ACTUALLY designed to hold up to repeated abuse from salt water hunting (not just the occasional dunking), and relegate the stock Eqx shaft for travel. Did I HAVE to do that? No, I could have "fixed" the problem with duct tape. I agree that if you do have a problem with wobble, you should make ML keep replacing the parts until they are fixed. But grab a replacement shaft in the meantime so you are not without a detector while ML is sending you new parts. Hope you are right, nagant, regarding ML actually fixing the issue rather than playing a guessing game with their shaft and lower rod spare part inventory. LOL.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duct tape will work faster than the manufacturer. This machine started shipping some months back. I have the gut feeling they'll just send you another identical shaft. No $$$ in it for them to reengineer it. And if they do, the price will go up. Best guess. It's always something.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ML is going after the lock supplier? That is the feedback you got from ML or are you speculating. Not clear what the story is from this and your other later post.

Appears to be more than a lock problem too. At least, it appears that he locks work fine for some of the shaft configurations. I think they have a combination of iffy locks PLUS some sort of quality control issue with their shaft dimensions. I have an 800 that has no wobble with stock components and then I have a 600 that has wobble. I noticed that if I take the 600 lower rod and attach it to the 800 and there is a bit of wobble. So ML seems to be just sending replacement shafts and rods out to customers that are complaining and crossing their fingers they will get a matching set that does not wobble. But with three pieces, anything can happen. I got the Anderson shaft, because it is an overall superior product., lighter and sturdier with adjustments for both the armrest AND the pod and it is ACTUALLY designed to hold up to repeated abuse from salt water hunting (not just the occasional dunking), and relegate the stock Eqx shaft for travel. Did I HAVE to do that? No, I could have "fixed" the problem with duct tape. I agree that if you do have a problem with wobble, you should make ML keep replacing the parts until they are fixed. But grab a replacement shaft in the meantime so you are not without a detector while ML is sending you new parts. Hope you are right, nagant, regarding ML actually fixing the issue rather than playing a guessing game with their shaft and lower rod spare part inventory. LOL.

I used my brand new EQ800 for the first time today, the shaft wobbled BEFORE I even left the house. The lower cam lock bottoms out, full lock and its not tight on the lower rod, the coil/lower rod twists back and forth only the snap pin is holding it in place.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with my 600, that's why I think it is a combination of bad factors both design and manufacturing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point in the game it almost seems like this was done on purpose. Seriously they can't create a detector that doesn't wobble. That's hard to believe.

Iron Patch, I missed my nap today. Bought two arrowheads I REALLY didn't need. Just to get out and do something besides clean out yet ANOTHER dresser drawer. I nailed three of those today. Blast it already.

But in my extreme exhaustion bordering on delirium, if you switch the "w" in "wobble" with a "g", well then, my brain just took a left in a right turn lane but "gobble" just seems appropriate. Face it, "wobble" is not a word we see much anymore. But seriously, beats me what the manufacturer is doing...if anything. They could be doing something however if Juiceman is correct about people DIY with an aftermarket $100 "fix", it's all over for anything coming from the manufacturer.

Nap time.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea who makes the shaft locks, not from Australia i bet. Any way if they want to keep selling these they have to fix it. Potential buyers are likely to pass when all the reviews they see bring this up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt sales will suffer. They have hyped this machine beyond redemption. Most people go for bells and whistles and don't read reviews as much anymore.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with my 600, that's why I think it is a combination of bad factors both design and manufacturing.

I measured both the middle shaft where it inserts in the upper, and the lower rod with digital calipers. The lower rod is smaller in diameter and likely why the cam lock bottoms out before its tight. Heck I may as well post weights and measurements standby.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So CharlesUpstateNY you can call Minelab and get a return for the shaft or go the duct tape route. I don't think there is a third choice at the moment. I'd call them and get a return and hope the replacement is ok. If you jump on it tomorrow, you should have the resolution by the following week. I've heard the turn around time is good.

It's disappointing getting a "new in box" and then have to deal with a return. Very disappointing.

Rcnm

Jul 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought that plugger lock and installed on my eq800. the instruction say you have to cut the shaft behind the twist cam lock, but i found a way to remove the cam lock without doing that. all you have to do is get a pair of heavy snips, and start to chip the top ring (the one closest to the insertion hole) of the cam lock. work you way all around by breaking the top ring. after you have chipped it all off, the cam lock will slide back and you will see the plunger in the tube and it basically falls out, then the twist cam lock slides right off the shaft. then all you have to do is install the plugger per the instructions. thats it, very secure with plugger. im heading to hawaii at the end of august and dont have to worry about any wobble now.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So CharlesUpstateNY you can call Minelab and get a return for the shaft or go the duct tape route. I don't think there is a third choice at the moment. I'd call them and get a return and hope the replacement is ok. If you jump on it tomorrow, you should have the resolution by the following week. I've heard the turn around time is good.

It's disappointing getting a "new in box" and then have to deal with a return. Very disappointing.

LOL there will be no duct tape on my EQ800. I have some .010 brass shim stock on hand I'll simply super glue a piece onto the lower rod where the cam lock pinches and that will be the end if its wobble.

This area is going to wear out anyway just like ALL of my Explorers did so I'm just shimming it early. I'm not making excuses for Minelab, but tubing is not a precision raw material. There are tolerances +- and even then they still fail to meet those tolerances and just ship the tubing anyway. Trust me its the cam lock that needs fixing or a redesign to accommodate the very likely variance in tubing diameters.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only had a bit of a wobble but solved with about 2 inches of electic tape...wobble gone!

Better than forking out crazy money for carbon shaft...lol.

Matt.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I wanted to toss my thoughts out there, as someone who is building these “$100 solutions” to Minelab’s wobble problem. First, let me say that I totally agree that as a consumer, we should be able to purchase these machines, and have them work properly – including the shaft system. So, I am on board with that logic.

However, here is another point of view. Minelab already produces high-end, top-notch detectors WITH high-quality carbon-fiber shafts, and quality cam locks. Those machines however are $1550 (E-Trac) to $2500 (CTX 3030). However, detectorists have hammered Minelab for YEARS about their machine prices. Customer complaints about Minelab machines have RARELY been about performance/capability, but instead, about price and weight.

SO, with the Equinox, Minelab finally listened. They worked hard to produce a machine that sacrificed NONE of the Minelab performance they are known for, but at a price point more people would be willing to pay. HOWEVER, to hit that price point, some things had to be sacrificed, and OBVIOUSLY the shaft was one place they targeted to cut costs, to help get the machine into the necessary price range.

From my perspective, I have to assume that Minelab has zero intent to “re-engineer” the shaft. The money they would have to invest, in the re-engineering AND THEN in the production costs inherent in producing a high-quality shaft, would defeat the whole goal of “top-level” performance at an affordable price point. I think, as a long-time Minelab user, that the amount of performance packed into the Equinox is nothing short of impressive, especially at the EQX price point. If they would have offered an “Equinox 1000” model, with a nice carbon-fiber shaft system similar to that on the CTX 3030, for $999, many might have paid it. So, to spend an extra $100 to “upgrade” what is probably the one place Minelab “cut corners,” and “went the cheap route,” is not the end of the world to me, all things considered. No, there shouldn’t be “wobble” in the stock shaft. And I think we SHOULD require replacement if we have “wobble” issues. But, it doesn’t surprise they went the “cheap route” there, on the shaft system, to cut costs.

Just my two cents...

Steve

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wobble issues are resolved every time....

By tightening the cams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread