Equinox shaft wobble
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Equinox shaft wobble

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jun 2018
    California
    Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
    31
    36 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Equinox shaft wobble

    I have a question to all who own an equinox and have the shaft wobble. As a group of consumers why are we letting Minelab off the hook with this concern? I have been swinging my 800 for about 50 hrs. now and am starting to feel a wobble. I am a very capable DIY type guy and can probably come up with a solution. However I like all of you I paid $900 for a machine that is supposed to be designed to swing. It seems ridiculous to me that Minelab will not correct the issue. I see other Nox users posting about how they paid $100 or more to fix the "defect". Why are you all letting Minelab get away without correcting This issue? This is my first Minelab product, I like the Nox don't get me wrong. I will be contacting Minelab bout this issue. Hopefully all of you experiencing this annoying problem will also.
    Slowtaknow and CarsonChris like this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    20,462
    72987 times
    Cache Hunting
    Hope you get it fixed. That's A good deal of money for a defect like that.
    Slowtaknow likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  3. #3
    us
    dirt sniffer

    Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    550
    609 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    all they have to do is replace those locks with a beefier version and everybody's happy. They don't exist yet? the lock supplier is getting the heat I'm sure so should be a real fix soon.

  4. #4
    us
    Jun 2018
    California
    Tesoro Cibola, Equinox 800
    31
    36 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree, however if everyone on the boards is happily replacing the shafts for $100 + there is no reason why Minelab would fix the problem! Especially if no one is complaining to the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    all they have to do is replace those locks with a beefier version and everybody's happy. They don't exist yet? the lock supplier is getting the heat I'm sure so should be a real fix soon.

  5. #5
    At this point in the game it almost seems like this was done on purpose. Seriously they can't create a detector that doesn't wobble. That's hard to believe.

  6. #6
    us
    dirt sniffer

    Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    550
    609 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I told them about it but waiting till they got a real answer. i (fixed) my stock shaft but made another one piece upper for water hunting + it was fun.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    4,536
    7388 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    all they have to do is replace those locks with a beefier version and everybody's happy. They don't exist yet? the lock supplier is getting the heat I'm sure so should be a real fix soon.
    So ML is going after the lock supplier? That is the feedback you got from ML or are you speculating. Not clear what the story is from this and your other later post.

    Appears to be more than a lock problem too. At least, it appears that he locks work fine for some of the shaft configurations. I think they have a combination of iffy locks PLUS some sort of quality control issue with their shaft dimensions. I have an 800 that has no wobble with stock components and then I have a 600 that has wobble. I noticed that if I take the 600 lower rod and attach it to the 800 and there is a bit of wobble. So ML seems to be just sending replacement shafts and rods out to customers that are complaining and crossing their fingers they will get a matching set that does not wobble. But with three pieces, anything can happen. I got the Anderson shaft, because it is an overall superior product., lighter and sturdier with adjustments for both the armrest AND the pod and it is ACTUALLY designed to hold up to repeated abuse from salt water hunting (not just the occasional dunking), and relegate the stock Eqx shaft for travel. Did I HAVE to do that? No, I could have "fixed" the problem with duct tape. I agree that if you do have a problem with wobble, you should make ML keep replacing the parts until they are fixed. But grab a replacement shaft in the meantime so you are not without a detector while ML is sending you new parts. Hope you are right, nagant, regarding ML actually fixing the issue rather than playing a guessing game with their shaft and lower rod spare part inventory. LOL.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    16,602
    30429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Duct tape will work faster than the manufacturer. This machine started shipping some months back. I have the gut feeling they'll just send you another identical shaft. No $$$ in it for them to reengineer it. And if they do, the price will go up. Best guess. It's always something.
    vferrari and jdiggs_treasure like this.

  9. #9

    Nov 2015
    263
    304 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    So ML is going after the lock supplier? That is the feedback you got from ML or are you speculating. Not clear what the story is from this and your other later post.

    Appears to be more than a lock problem too. At least, it appears that he locks work fine for some of the shaft configurations. I think they have a combination of iffy locks PLUS some sort of quality control issue with their shaft dimensions. I have an 800 that has no wobble with stock components and then I have a 600 that has wobble. I noticed that if I take the 600 lower rod and attach it to the 800 and there is a bit of wobble. So ML seems to be just sending replacement shafts and rods out to customers that are complaining and crossing their fingers they will get a matching set that does not wobble. But with three pieces, anything can happen. I got the Anderson shaft, because it is an overall superior product., lighter and sturdier with adjustments for both the armrest AND the pod and it is ACTUALLY designed to hold up to repeated abuse from salt water hunting (not just the occasional dunking), and relegate the stock Eqx shaft for travel. Did I HAVE to do that? No, I could have "fixed" the problem with duct tape. I agree that if you do have a problem with wobble, you should make ML keep replacing the parts until they are fixed. But grab a replacement shaft in the meantime so you are not without a detector while ML is sending you new parts. Hope you are right, nagant, regarding ML actually fixing the issue rather than playing a guessing game with their shaft and lower rod spare part inventory. LOL.
    I used my brand new EQ800 for the first time today, the shaft wobbled BEFORE I even left the house. The lower cam lock bottoms out, full lock and its not tight on the lower rod, the coil/lower rod twists back and forth only the snap pin is holding it in place.

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    4,536
    7388 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Same with my 600, that's why I think it is a combination of bad factors both design and manufacturing.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  11. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    16,602
    30429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    At this point in the game it almost seems like this was done on purpose. Seriously they can't create a detector that doesn't wobble. That's hard to believe.
    Iron Patch, I missed my nap today. Bought two arrowheads I REALLY didn't need. Just to get out and do something besides clean out yet ANOTHER dresser drawer. I nailed three of those today. Blast it already.

    But in my extreme exhaustion bordering on delirium, if you switch the "w" in "wobble" with a "g", well then, my brain just took a left in a right turn lane but "gobble" just seems appropriate. Face it, "wobble" is not a word we see much anymore. But seriously, beats me what the manufacturer is doing...if anything. They could be doing something however if Juiceman is correct about people DIY with an aftermarket $100 "fix", it's all over for anything coming from the manufacturer.

    Nap time.

  12. #12
    us
    dirt sniffer

    Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    550
    609 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have no idea who makes the shaft locks, not from Australia i bet. Any way if they want to keep selling these they have to fix it. Potential buyers are likely to pass when all the reviews they see bring this up.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    16,602
    30429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I doubt sales will suffer. They have hyped this machine beyond redemption. Most people go for bells and whistles and don't read reviews as much anymore.
    CharlesUpstateNY likes this.

  14. #14

    Nov 2015
    263
    304 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Same with my 600, that's why I think it is a combination of bad factors both design and manufacturing.
    I measured both the middle shaft where it inserts in the upper, and the lower rod with digital calipers. The lower rod is smaller in diameter and likely why the cam lock bottoms out before its tight. Heck I may as well post weights and measurements standby.

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    16,602
    30429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    So CharlesUpstateNY you can call Minelab and get a return for the shaft or go the duct tape route. I don't think there is a third choice at the moment. I'd call them and get a return and hope the replacement is ok. If you jump on it tomorrow, you should have the resolution by the following week. I've heard the turn around time is good.

    It's disappointing getting a "new in box" and then have to deal with a return. Very disappointing.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 600 heading in for shaft wobble repair *UPDATE*
    By Phishfindr in forum Equinox
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 24, 2018, 10:38 PM
  2. 600 heading in for shaft wobble repair
    By Phishfindr in forum Equinox
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 19, 2018, 01:34 PM
  3. Sea hunter Shaft wobble
    By Eagleye in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2014, 02:26 AM
  4. Sea hunter shaft wobble
    By Eagleye in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 31, 2014, 09:30 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Aug 09, 2012, 10:12 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0