Advice Equinox 800 or another Detector

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read This post and decide:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...arily-most-important-thing-missing-600-a.html

You may miss the ability to set up non ferrous tone breaks, the 600 backlight is too bright, I find I miss the User Profile button on the 600, less adjustability on recovery speed, and I sometimes use gold mode for relic hunting. So depending on what non-gold hunting you want to do, you may find the 600 a little too restrictive. Also, the included wireless accessories are good and make up for most of the price delta between the 600. I would not have gotten the 600 if I didn't already have the 800.

If you are doing solely salt beach or fresh water hunting or park coin shooting, the 600 should fit the bill.

If you want wireless capability, you can pick up a relatively inexpensive pair of low latency Bluetooth headphones for between $30 to $60 including a clone of the wireless phones included with the 800 (Miccus SR 71's)

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mibpf

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank everyone for your advice and input. I did found a dealer with a NOX 800 in stock. I will probably pull the trigger on my first Minelab tomorrow. I can’t afford much more than that at this time. I will post my personal experience with the new detector when I receive it and start detecting. Anyway, thanks again.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get it. Best advice is not to overtweak the thing at first and use factory presets till you learn it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything I read tells me I don’t need an 800 unless I hunt for gold nuggets. Would you agree with this since you have experience with both?

The more I hunt with my 800 the more I find myself going back to the factory settings. So far the only 800 specific feature I have used consistently is the adjustable screen backlight levels. The 600's screen is just too bright at night, but can be overcome with a red transparency film. It's becoming clear that minelab did indeed do lots of field research to determine the best settings for each mode.

I've played with all of the features of the 800, and am confident that at least for beach hunting (I can't comment on land hunting) I would feel just as productive with the 600 as the 800. The wireless module has never been used btw and seems sort of pointless to me. The only reasonable use I have come up with is for video recording where I could have the sound of the detector going into the camera mic port... because you can run the module and bluetooth headphones simultaneously.

Last edited:

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no 1 should get a equinox
then i would have the only one :headbang:

its a great machine

garyd54

Feb 16, 2014
central virginia
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus V5, minelab explorer II and Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to thank everyone for your advice and input. I did found a dealer with a NOX 800 in stock. I will probably pull the trigger on my first Minelab tomorrow. I can’t afford much more than that at this time. I will post my personal experience with the new detector when I receive it and start detecting. Anyway, thanks again.

Go check out calabashdiggers videos, he has a ton of them testing the nox against most every other machine. I don't think you would be disappointed with the nox. As soon as my knee replacement heals a little more I'm gonna pick one up for myself.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the included wireless accessories are good and make up for most of the price delta between the 600.

Speaking of the 800 wireless headphones, I thought I would HATE the Minelab wireless phones for being a bit too small, but they are actually pretty comfortable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions