Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have an Etrac or Explorer... can you pass the coil over this same cup of silver? I'm sure others would like to see the results.

Well then maybe I'll do the same with my ML Safari in the backyard, but I don't do videos.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that’s a good question I’ve never even thought of test my bars on any of my other detectors. At Max, F75 LTD.

Id be REAL Interested to know if the AT Max Does same or not..

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Just came across this but people aren't agreeing.

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Interesting video and certainly caught my attention!

So......I grabbed a glass and a handful of silver from my treasure box (rings, pendants, necklaces, and bracelets) and with my Nox 800 headed outside.

*Factory reset
*EMI balance
*Ground Balance

Across all huntinghprofiles, the 'hoard' of silver was readily recognized at depth and consistently ID'ed at 30 or 31.
The 'program 2' settings were only slightle weaker than those of 'program 1' settings.

Lacking in my cup of silver was a solid 5oz bar.

As for my quick test: "No worries, mate"

Ian

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
his sweep speed is very SLOW the nox is a super fast machine so swing it faster ...

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the test with couple hands full of silver I have, 6 silver dollars, 3 silver bars, silver dimes, quaters, some in plastic cases some loose my Nox 800 had no problem, VDI of 36-39 inch away from silver and foot away, just my 2 cents for what ever it's worth. Should have tried on my AT Pro and AT Max, got in late may try later with the Garretts I think they will scream just like the Nox.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tested...

11 oz of silver coins - 25 to 27. The dollars plural were reading 38-40 in a stack by themselves. The smaller silver coins dimes pulled the TID down. But this pile included a bunch of half dimes and even 3 cent silvers, the larger silver coins pulled their TID up. So 25 to 27 mixed pile.

AHEM - At first the pile of silver read 15 and I was like :icon_scratch: THEN I removed the 4 nickels I found hiding in the pile.

30 Large Cents - 24 to 25

1 Pound of dug Indian Head cents - 14 to 17 depending on which angle I swept the pile.

1.5 Pounds of dug nickels - 11 to 12

Silver stacked on top of Large Cents - 27 to 28

Silver + LC + 1 POUND of Indian Cents - 28 or 23 depending on whether the IH's were on top of the stack or the bottom.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again, in 20 lifetimes its unlikely I would ever get my coil over a hoard. Its like worrying about getting stuck behind a slow poke driver...who lives 800 miles away in another state. :laughing7:

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check the silver content of the bust dime and the merc the bust dime's silver content is slightly LESS than the winged liberty.... 89.2% for the bust and 90% for the merc....:laughing7:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This guy is almost certainly a plant from another vendor. fake news. Just look at all of the "equinox is broken" videos and "equinox is faulty" and "equinox fails to find silver hoard" way too many for a typical Equinox user. If I was that upset with all the supposed faults of the Equinox I would have sold it on eBay and bought another brand. But to go to all the trouble to make all those negative Equinox videos? Smell a rat here.

Here is a link to all his other supposed faulty Equinox videos including the one referenced in the original post.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lewis1141951/videos

I created my own silver hoard with Morgans in a glass. some standing vertical and some flat at the bottom of the glass. I got solid silver signals in all modes that I would dig with out hesitating.
Who knows what metals he put in the dirt under the glass to get the TID's to jump around. He even wraps the handle in medical gauze to imply the handle is not comfortable. Hmm does the MD youtube now have its own Sacha Baron Cohen?

silverhoard1 (1).JPG
silverhoard2.JPG

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Nox was only sensing the 5 oz silver bar since it was at the top of the pile, even though it was contacting the other silver items. I took some silver mercs, rosies, quarters, Morgans, a 1 oz silver bar and put a 10 oz silver bar on the top of all the other items to see how my E-TRAC would respond.

It read the 10 oz bar as 01-31 whether it was on the top of the pile or by itself. The 1 oz silver bar read 01-39 and the Morgans were 01-42. Interesting that in the coin mode, the 10 oz bar would have been rejected. It appears that the larger the silver item, the lower the conductivity number.

When I someday find my first silver cache, I fully expect the coins to be in a Mason or Ball jar with a sealed metal lid and my detector will only be sensing the metal lid, not the coins. I have recovered many a Mason jar lid in my time in the field, but unfortunately they weren't attached to a jar full of coins. The lids usually read around 12-42 to 12-46 which is why I have dug so many.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you that I wish it had overload on big iron and shallow aluminum cans. I think that’s one of the things minelab slipped on with the equinox.

I think with enough hours on the Equinox it becomes easy to predict those big items.....especially after giving the target a quick pinpoint. At first I thought this machine was lacking audio info but now with some hours logged it couldn't be any further from the truth. Thats just my opinion.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone should inform this guy he is using a MOTION metal detector. Meaning coil has to be moving :P He's created a situation to mislead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread