Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my Equinox 800 a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to get out to the beach last Saturday for my first hunt with it and figured I would post my impressions of the machine here for information. I spent 9 hours hunting and really enjoyed the detector. It has easily become my favorite out of my White's V3i and my Minelab Excalibur and I have those for years. I left them in my vehicle the entire time and I doubt I will even bring them in the future.

Terrain: I was on the boardwalk area of the beach in Ocean City, Maryland between 1st and 20th street. The rain kept everyone off of the beach so I was able to hit the towel line without interruption. Beach build up from the summer meant no sand bars or troughs to hunt during low tide so I stuck to the dry sand.

I was immediately impressed with how stable the 800 was out of the box. The only change I made was to run the channel scan per the directions in the quick start guide. At 20 on Beach 1 it was silent on the beach unless there was something in the ground. I did experience one area that had bad interference and made the machine chirp even turned down to 10. There is probably a cable buried or something along those lines and I had hoped the 800 could get around that. I can hunt in that area just not well. Once past it though I was back to 20 and quiet.

I dug a lot of pocket change, the most I have ever dug before. I was pulling nickles loud and clear at over 8 inches and quarters at over a foot. The target ID was incredibly reliable as well. It got to the point where if I pulled a "strange" number like an 18 I knew I was digging something other than the standard trash or pocket change. Bottle caps lived in the 13-16 range and clad in the 20s. After the first 2 hours I was probably 85% correct on knowing what I was digging before it came up which is a real improvement over my V3i.

Having it waterproof was useful. I was in some heavy rain at times and they even closed the beach for a little bit. I wish the wireless headphones were waterproof or resistant. I had to put them away during the heavy rain and use the built in speaker, which worked well even with the wind noise.

The biggest problem I had with the machine was how you have to hold it. Each machine is balanced and shaped differently and I found that the 800 required more grip strength than I am used to. After several hours my hands started hurting from having to grip the handle. I also experienced some of the shaft wobble that some people have been reporting but that wasn't as much of a drawback for me.

All told I dug $9.55 in clad, 3 earrings, 2 pendants, 1 bracelet (all non-precious), and $30 randomly blowing across the beach :D . I am still on the search for that first gold ring and I am looking forward to taking the 800 back out to try again.

Attachments

• 21July2018.jpg
    21July2018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice.Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you liked it. Great job on the beach for your first time out. Congrats on all the nice finds and info.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good day! Looking forward to getting my 600 on the beach for a try. Keep us posted on any further results.:icon_thumright:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tighten the cam locks if it wobbles

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you left some for me, going there next week. Lol.

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you left some for me, going there next week. Lol.

I am sure there is plenty left :D

One thing I don't really care for about the beach at OC is how wide it is. I probably won't be heading out again until September or October by which time I am hoping the beach breaks down a bit so there is some area to hunt between the waterline and the shore. Good luck with your hunt, I will keep an eye out to see what you pull up :D

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive hunt! :occasion14:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the arm cuff... it's unusually wide. If it's loose on your arm it makes swinging tiring. I used a heat gun to warm the cuff, and then bend it in a little so it fit my arm better. Since then it's been great!

Holding the grip as low as possible helps a little too.

Last edited:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the Nox 800 experience stories, as I am considering one as well. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread