finding lots of overlooked coins in Gold2 mode on my 800 and 6 inch coil

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I went to find an old gold mine located in my county. Found on the Internet a general description of the area that narrowed it down to about 200 acres. So tramping around for 2 hours and not finding a trace of the mine, eg opening or tailings. Even talked to two old times who said yes I was in the right area, but could not remember any more exact details.

So on the way home I decided to hit a huge oak tree that was gobbled up by a shopping center, but not cut down and they left about 100 x 100 ft square of raised earth about 4 feet so as to not kill the tree. this was done about 15 years ago.

so started hunting and realized I was still in Gold2 mode on my 800 using my new six inch coil. So what the heck, it was just going to be a quick run thru and left it in Gold2 mode.

In about 40 minutes pulled out about 20 pennies, 2 nickels and six dimes. Pennies and dimes and one nickel were from the 1980's.

Interesting thing about gold2 mode, basically one tone and the TID's give you the type of the target

At this site the TID's were very accurate since most targets were less than 1-2" deep.

But here is the strange thing. I have had 3 years experience on the AT Pro and loved the machine. I have hunted that tree twice with the stock coil and once with the 5x8" coil. since it is a small area I hunted it carefully and found some pennies and dimes but mostly shiny ones not these dirty ones I found today.

I ask myself, was I just not good with the AT Pro? A possibility for sure. But I would think I could have found coins buried only 2 inches deep in such a limted area. or was IL confusing them with junk? I cannot remember the particulars of the previous AT Pro hunts at this tree.

But I will say hunting coins in the Gold 2 mode is simple and does not tire the brain with many different tones since it is only one tone. The site was pretty clean. just coins, a few bits of foil and a couple of pop tops. Actually more coins than junk. A rare small site indeed. But no wheats or silver. I'm thinking the store clerks use it for smoke breaks in the past because lots of filter buts around the tree. Oh, and the hunt was cool since even though it was about mid 90's under the oak tree it felt like 80 and there was a slight breeze. Wish all my hunt locations in GA were this nice. Most of my hunt sites are in mosquito infested creeks with nasty water snakes. Water snakes have a mean disposition when disturbed here in GA.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not brand loyal; the right tool for the right job is my belief!

IMHO: I believe the AT Series or any detector for that matter would have found those 1" - 2" coins.

It could be a matter of not getting your coil over them those other hunts. You did say: " At this site the TID's were very accurate since most targets were less than 1-2" deep."

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to call around. At this point dealers were only shipped two or three coils in the initial shipment and most were spoken for. Similar to the initial Equinox roll out.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since getting the 800 I have really had to put a lot of time in on my learning curve for the 800 and in refreshing my general metal detecting basics. I can't imagine someone else with even basic MD skills not cleaning out that patch of coins. I mean you could have found them with the garrett carrot. In fact I pinpointed them with my Minelab ProFind-35 before I made a shallow scoop with my shovel.

Come to think of it back then with my AT Pro I was determined to find silver and just ignored the clad. That kind of was my mode of hunting since silver seems to be so hard to find in the suburbs of Atlanta. When the north and northeast US was industrializing and filled with factories and factory worker's homes, the south was still a rural agricultural economy and north Atlanta where I hunt was farmland until the 1980's and then then started building homes. I am not saying there are no silver coins to be found in North Atlanta, but most old home sites I locate on Historic Aerials are located now under parking lots, warehouses, expressways, new roads or neighborhoods. Atlanta has been growing like crazy since the 1980's and is still hell bent on expanding to Chattanooga, TN.
That is why I have switched to civil war relics.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is a good machine but it has nothing on the equinox . My six inch coil will be here tomorrow . I can not wait to go over my yard with it . My yard has been pounded with the ATP then the deus . When I got the equinox I found two IHP and a 1902 dime with in 15 mins in my front yard .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread