On the Equinox 800 pulltab numbers equal gold?

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've moved on from ML's ridiculous marketing campaign months ago.

I look at it this way. All I care about are the finds, recovery speed, stability in all water and soil conditions, and versatility of the detector to go from salt surf to sand to coin shooting to relic hunting to Gold prospecting without having to change up machines. That's what sets Equinox apart from many (but not all) machines. It's not going to obsolete VLFs, but I have been able to sell off some more "specialized" rigs because Equinox fills the gap nicely.

Is it Harry Potter's magic wand that is going to tell the difference between alumunim and gold? No. Because no machine using induced magnetic field detection technology can do that due to the similarity between those two metals from a conductivity standpoint. That's just physics and metallurgy. Nothing is going to change the fact that you have to dig pull tabs to find gold with a $900 Equinox just as you would with a $150 F2 unless a new technology is used that can sense a different physical property that can differentiate those metals.

The pulltab to gold question is not really the point, though. The question should be which would I rather take into the surf, Equinox or F75? Which would I rather take relic hunting, Equinox or Excal? Which would I rather take Prospecting, Equinox or CTX 3030? Which would I rather use in wet sand Equinox or AT Pro? Why is the Equinox at least viable in all those situations, while none of the other machines mentioned (all great machines in their own right) would be viable in ALL of those situations. It is not so much about obsoleting all these detectors but being able to get away with fewer detectors to do a variety of different types of detecting. That is what I think Equinox brings to the table.

Good point VF, I never thought of it that way... "D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread