Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this morning to do a little test. Was swinging the 800 with the 6" coil in Park 2 mode.

I immediately put it in 5kHz just to see if I could get any good hits on targets I may have missed in my yard, which i have pounded to death. Interestingly, I did!

I then put it in multi-frequency. Nothing. Switched it back to 5kHz and the signal was there again, loud and clear. Dug it and it was a double-edged razor blade. Could've been a coin though.

Just goes to show, multi-IQ isn't going to pull everything all of the time.

Btw, iron bias was set at 0, recovery was set to 5. Try it yourself, switching between frequencies, and see what you get.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this morning to do a little test. Was swinging the 800 with the 6" coil in Park 2 mode.

I immediately put it in 5kHz just to see if I could get any good hits on targets I may have missed in my yard, which i have pounded to death. Interestingly, I did!

I then put it in multi-frequency. Nothing. Switched it back to 5kHz and the signal was there again, loud and clear. Dug it and it was a double-edged razor blade. Could've been a coin though.

Just goes to show, multi-IQ isn't going to pull everything all of the time.

Btw, iron bias was set at 0, recovery was set to 5. Try it yourself, switching between frequencies, and see what you get.

even more so try going into all metal. I've found signals with both my mx sport and nox 800 in all metal that no program would catch.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely will be giving it a try. Thx for the info.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have witnessed as well. Good post.

More 6” Nox coil data.
Remember I am usingg800 model.
Settings used park 2,,24sens speed 6, iron bias 0.
Used multo freq and 5khz, and I will go into more detail about this here later.
Tone break using 5 tones set where 20 plus yields high tone. Had region before rhis 20 plus region 15-19 set to give no tone. Did have a 11-14 nickle window for highest tone set also.

These 2 sites (these particular areas) i hunted today brielfly i myslef have run some other model detectors small, medium and stock sized coils. I won’t name as some may think i am picking on them. These sites hunted by some other folks too.

Here is a pic of the finds.
8zpgl1.jpg

Now some here may already be thinking this dude dug stinking clad and other junk, this post here don’t interest me and has no value. Well, I have a different opinion.

I’ll start off by saying Equinox 800 and small coil is likely right now the clad KING!!!!
It smokes high conductive coins, even more masked ones it seems.

This clad not recent drops, they have been in this site when i have hunted previously during the last couple hears at least.

So anyway I selected this one spot to detect because in the past based on detecting it seemed to have loads of modern trash.

So i decided to try to hunt using 5khz single freq and see what would happen. Sure enough I was getting lockers at 21-22 ID.

When comparing all 4 higher conductive coins found, Using 5 khz on one zincoln was better than multi freq use. One zincoln was better using multi freq vs 5 5khz. And the other 2 I deemed a tie.

Quarter was only 4”deep.
The zincolns only 1.5”deep roughly.

Remember what my tone breaks were above. Using multi freq pull ring and beaver tail gave a solid 13, 5khz gave nothing tonally.

The smaller itme is lead i think. It gave a solid 13 when located using multi freq, use of 5 khz gave nothing tonally.

The full sized square tab read as solod 13using both multi freq and 5khz.
The cut square tab read 13 using multi freq, 5khz gave nothing tonally.

The twist cap, I found it near the steps. I can’t prove but I think its ID using previous detectors detecting its ID skewed hence not dug. Equinox lit it up as 20 using multi freq, 5 khz the ID a little higher. After recovery lots of iron in around area.

It is unbelievable how fast I could swing through the area with loads of modenr trash and grt these strikes.

The Nox ran quiet as a mouse froman emi standoint. Power lines close too.
The dewpoint here is real high and i got hot!!!! For such a short period of time.

Btw this site were the coins were found has a landmark. I know this area well and had run a bunch of coils over multiple times on mulitple days.

So some may think these tests, they don’t apply in the real world detecting.
I’ll let folks decide for themselves. I have my thoughts, and i wouldn’t do them if i thought they didn’t have some good meaning.

Note this pic.
8xsb5f.jpg

You see the US nickel laying on the ground.
Under the plastic cap (approx) is a 5”deep clad dime I buried a few weeks ago.
The ruler is in pic to show basically the sweep angle needed to detect dime (give me good clue higher comductor exist.
Scenario swept with all detectors noted with ruler and cap removed as they contain metal.
Disclaimer here: I cannot be certian this area ia a sterile envionment metal wise besides the coins mentioned.

Nox 800 all park and field modes tried using multi freq. No cigar.
Use of 5khz hits the dime well with 23-25 in the meter.
Use of 10khz hits too, but a bit more dodgy than 5khz with ID a few points lower. The other freqs a no go for good ID, meaning they don’t give me clue of higher conductor.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting and thank you. I don't think i have seen a single person do such a comparison.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx, TN. It was your earlier post the other day that got me thinking about 5kHz. And sure enough, it worked just as you said. And these weren't air tests either, the ones that people often scoff at. These were in the ground tests on targets that have never been dug. And still I got the same results that you got. Thanks for the inspiration.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now on gold and lead, I would imagine that 40kHz is where you'd wanna be.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'll do a test soon on some gold jewelry with 40kHz vs multi-frequency. Would be interesting to see those results.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very interesting.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it's sounding more and more like the 6 inch coil is or can be a great addition or even a main use tool. also sounding like the multi freq doesn't hit everything as well as first thought. I'm sure that as people like you guys continue to try and test the machines and coils, even more things will come to light. just like CB, you guys are making that 6 inch coil look better and better.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's what it's all about - sharing information so we all can learn. And who knows, maybe someone might get a spark of inspiration from someone on here and try something that hasn't been tried before, which could lead to an even greater understanding of the machines we use. That's why I like these detecting forums. It helps us all who are willing to learn.
it's sounding more and more like the 6 inch coil is or can be a great addition or even a main use tool. also sounding like the multi freq doesn't hit everything as well as first thought. I'm sure that as people like you guys continue to try and test the machines and coils, even more things will come to light. just like CB, you guys are making that 6 inch coil look better and better.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx, TN. It was your earlier post the other day that got me thinking about 5kHz. And sure enough, it worked just as you said. And these weren't air tests either, the ones that people often scoff at. These were in the ground tests on targets that have never been dug. And still I got the same results that you got. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks, I am followig you too for info.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a park just down the road. Once again, this place has been pounded not only by me, but by others as well. Besides my yard, this park is where I go to test out new coils, detectors, etc. I've seen other people swinging there on numerous occasions.

This time, I had it in Park 1, 5kHz, 0 iron bias, 5 recovery, and had it in all metal mode. But I turned the volume to 0 on the iron so I wouldn't have to listen to it.

To be honest, I shouldn't have gotten anything, but here we see a key, a clad quarter, an arcade token, a wheat penny, and four zincolns. And the area was maybe 100' x 50'.

I think next time, I might try it in Gold 1 mode.

The Equinox 6" is just killing it! 20180806_072404.jpeg

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a park just down the road. Once again, this place has been pounded not only by me, but by others as well. Besides my yard, this park is where I go to test out new coils, detectors, etc. I've seen other people swinging there on numerous occasions.

This time, I had it in Park 1, 5kHz, 0 iron bias, 5 recovery, and had it in all metal mode. But I turned the volume to 0 on the iron so I wouldn't have to listen to it.

To be honest, I shouldn't have gotten anything, but here we see a key, a clad quarter, an arcade token, a wheat penny, and four zincolns. And the area was maybe 100' x 50'.

I think next time, I might try it in Gold 1 mode.

The Equinox 6" is just killing it! View attachment 1619379

Very similar results I got last week in a similar sounding site as you described.

Thanks for sharing.

I would go back and run speed 7 and 5 kHz. Lower tone break for high tone using 5 tones to 18. See what pops out.

Amazing how our stories mirror one another. Mean anything reckon??

More 6” Nox coil data.
Remember I am usingg800 model.
Settings used park 2,,24sens speed 6, iron bias 0.
Used multo freq and 5khz, and I will go into more detail about this here later.
Tone break using 5 tones set where 20 plus yields high tone. Had region before rhis 20 plus region 15-19 set to give no tone. Did have a 11-14 nickle window for highest tone set also.

These 2 sites (these particular areas) i hunted today brielfly i myslef have run some other model detectors small, medium and stock sized coils. I won’t name as some may think i am picking on them. These sites hunted by some other folks too.

Here is a pic of the finds.
8zpgl1.jpg

Now some here may already be thinking this dude dug stinking clad and other junk, this post here don’t interest me and has no value. Well, I have a different opinion.

I’ll start off by saying Equinox 800 and small coil is likely right now the clad KING!!!!
It smokes high conductive coins, even more masked ones it seems.

This clad not recent drops, they have been in this site when i have hunted previously during the last couple hears at least.

So anyway I selected this one spot to detect because in the past based on detecting it seemed to have loads of modern trash.

So i decided to try to hunt using 5khz single freq and see what would happen. Sure enough I was getting lockers at 21-22 ID.

When comparing all 4 higher conductive coins found, Using 5 khz on one zincoln was better than multi freq use. One zincoln was better using multi freq vs 5 5khz. And the other 2 I deemed a tie.

Quarter was only 4”deep.
The zincolns only 1.5”deep roughly.

Remember what my tone breaks were above. Using multi freq pull ring and beaver tail gave a solid 13, 5khz gave nothing tonally.

The smaller itme is lead i think. It gave a solid 13 when located using multi freq, use of 5 khz gave nothing tonally.

The full sized square tab read as solod 13using both multi freq and 5khz.
The cut square tab read 13 using multi freq, 5khz gave nothing tonally.

The twist cap, I found it near the steps. I can’t prove but I think its ID using previous detectors detecting its ID skewed hence not dug. Equinox lit it up as 20 using multi freq, 5 khz the ID a little higher. After recovery lots of iron in around area.

It is unbelievable how fast I could swing through the area with loads of modenr trash and grt these strikes.

The Nox ran quiet as a mouse froman emi standoint. Power lines close too.
The dewpoint here is real high and i got hot!!!! For such a short period of time.

Btw this site were the coins were found has a landmark. I know this area well and had run a bunch of coils over multiple times on mulitple days.
Nox and stock coil been on these sites (in these same spots) 2 times prior by me. And I used 5khz single freq and multifreq speed 7 previously..
More later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try that. Thanks TN!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a quick test in my garden I too am convinced that 5 KHz separates better than multi IQ, on silver coins anyways.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I took my Deus to a pounded park last summer. I got so tired of digging clad, wheaties, buffs, and junk jewelry I had to go. I just went SLOW. I dug a tiny bit of aluminum, mainly those huge screw off caps, but I think it's our attitude that makes the difference not the machine. We tend to take our time with a new machine, I am sure the 6" coil will do well, however it would take 100 years to grid off my three farms I have permission to dig on using one that small!

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I've hunted vast acreage and you never will cover it all, not even with a large coil. That's why I'll be getting the 13" x 11" X35 for the Deus and the 15" for the Equinox. Got a lot of ground to cover. Lots of old Colonial buttons, too, that are a foot deep or better.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought fella's, we all by now know that let's say Park 1 is weighted more at the lower end of the Multi-Freq's, and Park 2 is weighted more at the higher end, if wanting to run a single Freq. of 5, WOULD their be any advantage in running it in Park 1 or Field 1, and if wanting to detect in say 20Khz only, use Park 2 and Field 2? Or do you think it would not really matter at all either way. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread