Cooking your Equinox

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on a trip with my 600 left my detector in my truck for a couple hours while site seeing it was in the 80s in left windows cracked it was very warm when I got to where we were staying brought into hotel used the next day and it was very squakey until I turned sensitivity down to 12. Shut off and on factory reset and seems better. I have a hard time believing that the electronics can't handle that kind of heat not being used, but is it possible it can't handle it ?
Thoughts. Thanks

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Page 66 of the manual states the storage temp range is -4 F. to 122 F. Still shouldn't leave in a hot car to be safe...

Can't see anymore. 122 instead of 127...

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on what you are describing, I doubt it was temperature related. From the manual:

Operating Temperature Range -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)

Storage Temperature Range -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)

Charging Temperature Range 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

What I have heard reported is direct sunlight affecting the LCD screen (screen goes all black). Getting it out of the direct sun, allowing it to cool down, even pouring some water on it allows it to recover fairly quickly. I would imagine the same for other electronic components pushed up against their thermal limits would recover once you powered down and then got the machine ambient temperature back into the normal range. Those effects are typically immediate and also recover quickly. A factory reset should really not be needed for a transient thermal problem (it can't hurt, but I don't really see it helping). If you actually did some real permanent thermal damage to the electronics or the battery, doing a factory reset would not fix the problem either. So it does sound like the machine powered up in some mode and was noisy perhaps due to a previous user setting adjustment that was innocuous where the detector was previously being used but not so good at the new site due to some local EMI, I suspect. The factory reset just got you back to default settings and you were good. You didn't say whether you tried doing a noise cancel before you ran sensitivity down. Anyway, I don't think you did any thermal damage to electronics and based on what you described even though a car can heat up significantly higher than the air temp even with the windows cracked, doubt having it sit in the car caused what you were seeing. Most important to keep it out of direct sunlight.
Regarding the temp ranges above, be sure to obey the charging temperature range limits. Charging the battery cold or hot (charging temperature range) can cause permanent damage to the battery despite it's thermal shutdown circuits. Charging during cold ambient temperatures is especially not recommended for lithium ion batteries. HTH.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't move the temperatures up and down quickly. Plastics, glass and metals, including rubber or neoprene seals can wear out prematurely if you do that. Try taking a glass vase inside from being out in a freezing car and watch it literally explode when the warm air hits it. My mom did this once a long time ago after taking an antique vase to a meeting of the local archaeology society. It was a sight to see. Also a bummer. Also do not fly a kite with a metal string during a thunderstorm and do not lick any outside metal pumps in the dead of winter.

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, Sometimes you just don't have a choice to leave in vehicle, I certainly didn't want to for a couple obvious reasons

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't move the temperatures up and down quickly. Plastics, glass and metals, including rubber or neoprene seals can wear out prematurely if you do that. Try taking a glass vase inside from being out in a freezing car and watch it literally explode when the warm air hits it. My mom did this once a long time ago after taking an antique vase to a meeting of the local archaeology society. It was a sight to see. Also a bummer. Also do not fly a kite with a metal string during a thunderstorm and do not lick any outside metal pumps in the dead of winter.

you forgot the essential "don't eat the yellow snow"

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In south florida you can cook a machine in a closed car. Ive burnt one up in my car before. Excal was destroyed in my car after only one day. And no I didnt do it, my buddy did while borrowing it. The coil fell right off the shaft, and this machine never worked again the sealed case even buckled from the heat.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think anyone else should buy an Equinox, and everyone that has one should get rid of it immediately - except me. :laughing7:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It could definitely happen where I live on the NC coast. I have seen hot cars melt all kinds of things. I left my paddle board paddle in the car one afternoon and the next morning the paddle just slid right off the handle from the glue be destroyed in the heat. If I had to leave it, windows would be cracked, sun visor on windshield, and something covering the detector so it wasnt directly getting hit by sun.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
heat kills, it kills a lot of things and must be respected. sure hope your detector starts working correctly.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think anyone else should buy an Equinox, and everyone that has one should get rid of it immediately - except me. :laughing7:

Nothing like a lil' edge huh Terry? Lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind heat is the worst thing for LCDs, it will cause them to leak giving you the digital lines.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro is in the truck. It's been in there since October. 2016. Works just fine. Go figure.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took my EQX to Key Largo several weeks ago...it was deadly HOT on the beach and I had a protective cover on the control box. The EQX started to malfunction. After I removed the protective cover and allowed it to cool down, the detector soon returned to normal. I haven't used the cover since and all is well.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Took my EQX to Key Largo several weeks ago...it was deadly HOT on the beach and I had a protective cover on the control box. The EQX started to malfunction. After I removed the protective cover and allowed it to cool down, the detector soon returned to normal. I haven't used the cover since and all is well.
Good tip Colonel. I took mine off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread