Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Shortening the shaft and heating the cuff has helped some folks. Some put more $$$ into an aftermarket lower shaft. I went back to the Deus as I have been running circles around the other the machines. Been doing Indian artifacts lately though.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good info. I've been having similar bicep and elbow issues with the Equinox.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up the Nox myself and found it light. But being unbalanced it made my wrist swell. I did find a simple solution as the arm rest bolt cross threaded when I first put the Nox together. The holes in the shaft were offset and the armrest bolt which i could not feel or see happening cross threaded. So after taking the dremmel to get the stuck arm rest bolt off I purchased some plastic ties. Then just off setting the bottom part of the arm rest called the stand I affixed it with plastic ties and cut off excess tie. Not perfect weight balance but sure I could add weight if I wanted. I can add a picture later if anyone is interested. For now Im going detecting.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrist/arm/shoulder fatigue -- or even pain -- is something that I know several folks deal with, with the Equinox. It's one of the machine's few (in my opinion) shortcomings -- too much weight at one end (the coil end), and nearly ZERO at the other (butt) end. Thus, it's an unbalanced machine, forcing you to exert the necessary force with your wrist/arm/shoulder to counteract that nose-heaviness.

Along with the other ideas mentioned in this thread which can help reduce the issue, another thing that helps with the nose-heaviness, and resulting ergonomic issues, is to run your lower rod a bit shorter than you otherwise might. Having the coil in closer to your feet (i.e. the machine in a bit more "vertical" position), while you swing, reduces the "leverage effect" of the coil. Think of how much harder it is to hold the detector out in front of you, parallel to the ground. Try that -- sort of in a "shooting from the hip" position, and see how heavy the machine feels, and how difficult it becomes, in a short period of time, to hold the machine level/parallel to the ground. From that perspective, the more "upright" you swing your machine, the "lighter" it feels, and the easier it is on your "swinging arm" (as would be expected from a leverage/physics perspective).

If all of these options mentioned here don't help, the other very good (in my biased opinion, LOL) option is COUNTERWEIGHTING. Using counterweighting really does help. You can rig something up to counterweight the machine in a DIY manner, OR -- I offer that option (a nice, carbon-fiber, removable and adjustable counterweight) with my carbon-fiber shafts...

Steve

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now. :thumbsup:
Funny how little things cause big problems. My old sovereign caused pain in the shoulder until I put a straight shaft on it. Just the angle of the wrist caused all that. Look for the tiny things.

Sounds corny, but consider getting a bottle of Absorbine Jr. old school YES but it really helps my shoulder. Best part? It don't stink!!!

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1 on Steves Equinox CW rods. Can swing the 800 all day long. No longer a nose heavy pig!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate the kind words, sir!

Thank you!

Steve

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good point, and not something I considered... that the positioned where the cuff is mounted may also be part of the problem. I'm also now question if even moving it, as well as losing the strap, will be enough for it to feel good enough for me to want to swing. I wonder if buying an Anderson shaft would be a good idea, or would just be a distinction without a difference.

I purchased the Anderson shaft due to the same issues, and can attest that this shaft WILL NOT help you with this issue. It will stabilize the "wobble" from the original shaft, but the Nox is still nose heavy.

I recently bought a custom shaft from Steves Custom Fiber Equinox Shafts in the classifieds who makes custom NOX shafts with a counter weight in the back of the shaft. I have only used it one time for 3.5 hrs, so I cannot give an honest opinion on it yet. After this weekend (I have an 8+ hour hunt planned for Sat) I will update you on my experience.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a counter weight should work fine, of course it adds weight to the machine.

Just make sure you never let your health insurance slide and Absorbine Jr. does smell...at least at first!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepDigs, I will look forward to your report!

Thanks,

Steve

I purchased the Anderson shaft due to the same issues, and can attest that this shaft WILL NOT help you with this issue. It will stabilize the "wobble" from the original shaft, but the Nox is still nose heavy.

I recently bought a custom shaft from Steves Custom Fiber Equinox Shafts in the classifieds who makes custom NOX shafts with a counter weight in the back of the shaft. I have only used it one time for 3.5 hrs, so I cannot give an honest opinion on it yet. After this weekend (I have an 8+ hour hunt planned for Sat) I will update you on my experience.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shortened the shaft length and that seemed to help some. Now I just need to get my arm to fit snugger in the arm cuff. I have thin arms, but If this counter weight system really works I’ll definitely go that route. Besides the arm fatigue I love the Equinox, already found three silver coins I’ve never found before.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ripvanb --

I can say with confidence, based on my own experience and that of others, the counterbalance definitely "works." The scientific principles are pretty clear, and hard to argue. I have MANY customers that can attest; it will be interesting to see if DeepDigs has the same experience. Just today, one of my customers posted this, in my "for sale" thread in the T-Net classifieds...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/604378-steve-s-carbon-fiber-equinox-shafts-equinox-ctx-3030-lower-rods-stock.html#post6150518

As far as a snugger fit in the arm cuff, I just recently saw on ebay what appears to be a well-padded cuff cover for the Equinox; not sure if I'm allowed to name the seller, or not -- don't want to run afoul of any T-Net rules. But it looks like if you had this cuff cover on, it would make the cuff fit "more snugly" on your arm. I've also heard of folks "heating" and then "bending" their Minelab stock cuffs.

Finally, recent developments are that I just may end up getting more "Herke" cuffs in stock, which pair nicely with my carbon-fiber shaft. They are black powder-coated aluminum, and can be formed/bent to fit your forearm better than the stock cuff. There are also custom cuff covers that can be included with the Herke cuffs...

Just some thoughts...

Steve
[SUB][/SUB]

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ripvanb --

I can say with confidence, based on my own experience and that of others, the counterbalance definitely "works." The scientific principles are pretty clear, and hard to argue. I have MANY customers that can attest; it will be interesting to see if DeepDigs has the same experience. Just today, one of my customers posted this, in my "for sale" thread in the T-Net classifieds...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/604378-steve-s-carbon-fiber-equinox-shafts-equinox-ctx-3030-lower-rods-stock.html#post6150518

As far as a snugger fit in the arm cuff, I just recently saw on ebay what appears to be a well-padded cuff cover for the Equinox; not sure if I'm allowed to name the seller, or not -- don't want to run afoul of any T-Net rules. But it looks like if you had this cuff cover on, it would make the cuff fit "more snugly" on your arm. I've also heard of folks "heating" and then "bending" their Minelab stock cuffs.

Finally, recent developments are that I just may end up getting more "Herke" cuffs in stock, which pair nicely with my carbon-fiber shaft. They are black powder-coated aluminum, and can be formed/bent to fit your forearm better than the stock cuff. There are also custom cuff covers that can be included with the Herke cuffs...

Just some thoughts...

Steve
[SUB][/SUB]

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely!

Glad to help.

Steve

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice to have options

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP....I’ve enjoyed many of your posts and they have helped ALOT running my Explorer2! I have taken my EX2 apart and chest mounted it onto a “Chesty” mount meant for the Go-Pro,and mounted up an Ultimate 13” coil on a Compadre chassis. My GOD man,it’s SO nice to swing,almost like a feather! Almost...:laughing7:
I hope you get your arm positioning sorted out,I haven’t had any issues with my 800,but I did move the cuff from the stock position. Let us know how it works out,Steve is making some nice retro fit parts for it. If I keep it I’ll be looking at those more closely...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IDX -- thanks for the kind words! I'm here to fix you up with what you need, if you decide to... ;)

Steve

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keeping in mind for over 15 years I swing an Explorer that was a beast to swing... having an after market heavy metal arm cuff, and for a lot of those years a Sunray probe fastened to the upper shaft, and I could do any length of hunt without any type of problem. So getting out of the way that this has nothing to do with weight, does anyone else have a lot of discomfort in the position the arm cuff and strap puts your arm in? I have never used a strap on a detector until the Equinox and it feels like it's locking me into a position that's foreign to me. It actually left me sore enough that without question I'll be buying a heat gun to close the cuff and then adding some padding to make it a tighter fit. Seems funny such a light detector could have such a bad effect, bad enough that if there was no resolution I'd be selling it today. There's no chance it will be replacing my Deus, but I will have to correct this at some point because I don't want to do even another hour as is.

I hated how mine felt until I used a heat gun to tighten up the cuff. Now I don't need to run the strap so tight, and it feels as if it's part of my arm.

Before I had to tighten the strap too tight and it just felt uncomfortable and loose on my arm.

I've tried counterweights but all it does is add more weight. What I found works better is to swing at a speed relative to shaft length. Short shaft for going very slow. Long shaft, swing a little faster so the G force of the swing takes the weight off the coil. Longer the shaft, the slower the transition when you change directions... give it time to slow down before swinging back the other direction instead of muscling it back and forth.

In the hard wet sand on the beach I let the coil skip across the surface, again removes weight and more depth.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread