Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Forearm / Elbow issue

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19488 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Yes, a counter weight should work fine, of course it adds weight to the machine.

Just make sure you never let your health insurance slide and Absorbine Jr. does smell...at least at first!
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    DeepDigs, I will look forward to your report!

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDigs View Post
    I purchased the Anderson shaft due to the same issues, and can attest that this shaft WILL NOT help you with this issue. It will stabilize the "wobble" from the original shaft, but the Nox is still nose heavy.

I recently bought a custom shaft from Steves Custom Fiber Equinox Shafts in the classifieds who makes custom NOX shafts with a counter weight in the back of the shaft. I have only used it one time for 3.5 hrs, so I cannot give an honest opinion on it yet. After this weekend (I have an 8+ hour hunt planned for Sat) I will update you on my experience.

us
    May 2017
    Connecticut
    Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
    344 times
    I shortened the shaft length and that seemed to help some. Now I just need to get my arm to fit snugger in the arm cuff. I have thin arms, but If this counter weight system really works I’ll definitely go that route. Besides the arm fatigue I love the Equinox, already found three silver coins I’ve never found before.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    ripvanb --

I can say with confidence, based on my own experience and that of others, the counterbalance definitely "works." The scientific principles are pretty clear, and hard to argue. I have MANY customers that can attest; it will be interesting to see if DeepDigs has the same experience. Just today, one of my customers posted this, in my "for sale" thread in the T-Net classifieds...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/604378-steve-s-carbon-fiber-equinox-shafts-equinox-ctx-3030-lower-rods-stock.html#post6150518

As far as a snugger fit in the arm cuff, I just recently saw on ebay what appears to be a well-padded cuff cover for the Equinox; not sure if I'm allowed to name the seller, or not -- don't want to run afoul of any T-Net rules. But it looks like if you had this cuff cover on, it would make the cuff fit "more snugly" on your arm. I've also heard of folks "heating" and then "bending" their Minelab stock cuffs.

Finally, recent developments are that I just may end up getting more "Herke" cuffs in stock, which pair nicely with my carbon-fiber shaft. They are black powder-coated aluminum, and can be formed/bent to fit your forearm better than the stock cuff. There are also custom cuff covers that can be included with the Herke cuffs...

Just some thoughts...

Steve

ripvanb likes this.

us
    May 2017
    Connecticut
    Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
    344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgoss66 View Post
    ripvanb --

I can say with confidence, based on my own experience and that of others, the counterbalance definitely "works." The scientific principles are pretty clear, and hard to argue. I have MANY customers that can attest; it will be interesting to see if DeepDigs has the same experience. Just today, one of my customers posted this, in my "for sale" thread in the T-Net classifieds...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/604378-steve-s-carbon-fiber-equinox-shafts-equinox-ctx-3030-lower-rods-stock.html#post6150518

As far as a snugger fit in the arm cuff, I just recently saw on ebay what appears to be a well-padded cuff cover for the Equinox; not sure if I'm allowed to name the seller, or not -- don't want to run afoul of any T-Net rules. But it looks like if you had this cuff cover on, it would make the cuff fit "more snugly" on your arm. I've also heard of folks "heating" and then "bending" their Minelab stock cuffs.

Finally, recent developments are that I just may end up getting more "Herke" cuffs in stock, which pair nicely with my carbon-fiber shaft. They are black powder-coated aluminum, and can be formed/bent to fit your forearm better than the stock cuff. There are also custom cuff covers that can be included with the Herke cuffs...

Just some thoughts...

Steve

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    Absolutely!

Glad to help.

Steve

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11336 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    nice to have options
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    642 times
    IP....I’ve enjoyed many of your posts and they have helped ALOT running my Explorer2! I have taken my EX2 apart and chest mounted it onto a “Chesty” mount meant for the Go-Pro,and mounted up an Ultimate 13” coil on a Compadre chassis. My GOD man,it’s SO nice to swing,almost like a feather! Almost...
    I hope you get your arm positioning sorted out,I haven’t had any issues with my 800,but I did move the cuff from the stock position. Let us know how it works out,Steve is making some nice retro fit parts for it. If I keep it I’ll be looking at those more closely...

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    IDX -- thanks for the kind words! I'm here to fix you up with what you need, if you decide to...

Steve

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1318 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    Keeping in mind for over 15 years I swing an Explorer that was a beast to swing... having an after market heavy metal arm cuff, and for a lot of those years a Sunray probe fastened to the upper shaft, and I could do any length of hunt without any type of problem. So getting out of the way that this has nothing to do with weight, does anyone else have a lot of discomfort in the position the arm cuff and strap puts your arm in? I have never used a strap on a detector until the Equinox and it feels like it's locking me into a position that's foreign to me. It actually left me sore enough that without question I'll be buying a heat gun to close the cuff and then adding some padding to make it a tighter fit. Seems funny such a light detector could have such a bad effect, bad enough that if there was no resolution I'd be selling it today. There's no chance it will be replacing my Deus, but I will have to correct this at some point because I don't want to do even another hour as is.
    I hated how mine felt until I used a heat gun to tighten up the cuff. Now I don't need to run the strap so tight, and it feels as if it's part of my arm.

Before I had to tighten the strap too tight and it just felt uncomfortable and loose on my arm.

I've tried counterweights but all it does is add more weight. What I found works better is to swing at a speed relative to shaft length. Short shaft for going very slow. Long shaft, swing a little faster so the G force of the swing takes the weight off the coil. Longer the shaft, the slower the transition when you change directions... give it time to slow down before swinging back the other direction instead of muscling it back and forth.

In the hard wet sand on the beach I let the coil skip across the surface, again removes weight and more depth.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Apr 07, 2019 at 08:52 AM.
    ripvanb likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Coinshootist

Oct 2016
    WI
    Equinox 800, XP Deus
    177 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by sgoss66 View Post
    DeepDigs, I will look forward to your report!

Thanks,

Steve
    I was able to get out with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil for about 10-12 hours over the past several days. I can honestly attest that Steves Custom Fiber Shafts w/ counterweight makes a HUGE difference in eliminating forearm/wrist fatigue while using the 800 for long hunts. I highly recommend this setup if arm comfort is your goal!
    sgoss66 likes this.
    "There is no such thing as a hunted out location. There are only those whose patience has run out and who aren't up for the challenge."

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    DeepDigs --

Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words! I'm REALLY glad to hear that the counterweighted shaft worked well for you, in improving the ergonomics of the machine, and making your long hunts more pleasant! That is always the goal, and I truly believe that the science/theory behind counterweighting is solid, in terms of resolving the EQX ergonomics issues. But, with that said, it's always good to get "real-world" confirmation -- and it's always good to know that a customer is satisfied!

THANKS!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDigs View Post
    I was able to get out with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil for about 10-12 hours over the past several days. I can honestly attest that Steves Custom Fiber Shafts w/ counterweight makes a HUGE difference in eliminating forearm/wrist fatigue while using the 800 for long hunts. I highly recommend this setup if arm comfort is your goal!
    DeepDigs likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2043 times
    Well Minelab was quick to send out a replacement arm cuff. Bought a small coil and Im ready to go. Lets see if my arm swells up now.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    733 times
    Metal Detecting
    You should be OK with the small coil, Rawhide. Most folks feel the small coil is pretty comfortable to swing. Glad you got your arm cuff quickly!

Steve

us
    Jun 2012
    Lake County Florida
    Minelab explorer 2 Tesoro SandShark Garrett AT Minelab Equinox Tesoro Silver Umax
    22 times

Steve's

I purchased a lower and upper rod from Steve with the counter weight on the end. Wow, what a difference. I can swing my 600 all day without getting tired. This thing works great.
    sgoss66 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links