Forearm / Elbow issue

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepDigs, I will look forward to your report!

Thanks,

Steve

I was able to get out with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil for about 10-12 hours over the past several days. I can honestly attest that Steves Custom Fiber Shafts w/ counterweight makes a HUGE difference in eliminating forearm/wrist fatigue while using the 800 for long hunts. I highly recommend this setup if arm comfort is your goal!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepDigs --

Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words! I'm REALLY glad to hear that the counterweighted shaft worked well for you, in improving the ergonomics of the machine, and making your long hunts more pleasant! That is always the goal, and I truly believe that the science/theory behind counterweighting is solid, in terms of resolving the EQX ergonomics issues. But, with that said, it's always good to get "real-world" confirmation -- and it's always good to know that a customer is satisfied!

THANKS!

Steve

I was able to get out with the Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil for about 10-12 hours over the past several days. I can honestly attest that Steves Custom Fiber Shafts w/ counterweight makes a HUGE difference in eliminating forearm/wrist fatigue while using the 800 for long hunts. I highly recommend this setup if arm comfort is your goal!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Minelab was quick to send out a replacement arm cuff. Bought a small coil and Im ready to go. Lets see if my arm swells up now.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be OK with the small coil, Rawhide. Most folks feel the small coil is pretty comfortable to swing. Glad you got your arm cuff quickly!

Steve

hunt2day

Greenie
Jun 22, 2012
Lake County Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2
Tesoro SandShark
Garrett AT
Minelab Equinox
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve's

I purchased a lower and upper rod from Steve with the counter weight on the end. Wow, what a difference. I can swing my 600 all day without getting tired. This thing works great.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't get it...I swung my sons 800 for 5 min and knew it was going to be a problem with my elbow. Is it really that hard to make a balanced machine? Yes I am knocking Minelab and every other Detector maker who does not consider balance in their design.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't get it...I swung my sons 800 for 5 min and knew it was going to be a problem with my elbow. Is it really that hard to make a balanced machine? Yes I am knocking Minelab and every other Detector maker who does not consider balance in their design.

I know what you are saying. The best balanced machine I ever used was the Fisher F75 with a great user interface to boot. However, I know folks who preferred a straight shaft for the F75 and did not rave at the ergonomics even though they were in the minority. In other words, you can't please all the people all the time when it comes to balancing the design for each user. To make a balanced machine suited for everyone means that some significant range of adjustment and customization is required because we are all built differently. I have Steve's shaft system but the range of adjustment provided is good enough that it doesn't necessitate the counter weight balance system. Even with Steve's counterweight system, some customization is necessary because it is not a once size fits all proposition. I can't imagine ML including all these customizations in the box and keeping the Equinox at the same price point. I prefer to let 3rd party shaft system designer experts like Steve handle the customizations needed for best fit and balance because they are the ones who can do it right, and let ML handle the budget shaft system that the rank and file user doesn't mind dealing with.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hunt2day -- THANKS for the very kind words -- and endorsement of the idea! I'm really glad to hear that the counterweight "does the trick" for you!

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari -- thank you! I really appreciate your kind words!

You are right, there certainly is a large range of individual needs, in terms of comfort and preference. It would definitely be an essentially impossible goal for any company to try to make a perfect, one-size-fits-all machine that is comfortable for everyone; adjustability and flexibility is certainly necessary, and can't be done easily from the "mass production" perspective.

Steve

Ironfeathers

Greenie
Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now. [emoji106]
I took a cheap rubber knee pad I bought at a dollar store and cut it to fit into the cup. It really cushions the arm and works quite well.
That's a good point, and not something I considered... that the positioned where the cuff is mounted may also be part of the problem. I'm also now question if even moving it, as well as losing the strap, will be enough for it to feel good enough for me to want to swing. I wonder if buying an Anderson shaft would be a good idea, or would just be a distinction without a difference.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Customizing my equinox to my personal preferences has been an enjoyable project, with the result being a great detector that feels like an extension of my arm and permits highly efficient detecting, and hopefully better results because of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread