Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping in mind for over 15 years I swing an Explorer that was a beast to swing... having an after market heavy metal arm cuff, and for a lot of those years a Sunray probe fastened to the upper shaft, and I could do any length of hunt without any type of problem. So getting out of the way that this has nothing to do with weight, does anyone else have a lot of discomfort in the position the arm cuff and strap puts your arm in? I have never used a strap on a detector until the Equinox and it feels like it's locking me into a position that's foreign to me. It actually left me sore enough that without question I'll be buying a heat gun to close the cuff and then adding some padding to make it a tighter fit. Seems funny such a light detector could have such a bad effect, bad enough that if there was no resolution I'd be selling it today. There's no chance it will be replacing my Deus, but I will have to correct this at some point because I don't want to do even another hour as is.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
has the deus spoiled you? it has me and I got very used to the lack of weight. I am older with various health issues and so my muscle memory lacks a lot these days. I don't like using a strap either and my arm does flop around quite a bit unless I mentally force myself to tighten everything up in my grip etc. But then I catch myself creeping up higher on the grip to the unit. I have considered exactly what you are thinking, just don't have the access to anything right now as we are packed up and ready to move. sometimes little things make a world of a difference like moving the cuff to a better spot for you plus padding etc. sure hope it gets worked out for you. When asked if I am allergic to anything, I tell them pain now LOL. I have a very high pain tolerance but after a while, it does get very old.

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
Totally agree.. when I first got the machine, had exactly the same problem. As it stands at the moment I have moved the grip up by 1.5 inches, shortened the stem considerably and added a 4 oz sinker to the inside of the shaft end above the elbow. Also crucial was the positioning of the arm rest, mine is in the 4th hole down.

This does not solve, but greatly helps the problem. The term ergonomics has been missed out, the centre of gravity is way off. Coil pulls down remarkably heavily. The answer is an s shaft in centre section, but those available are under diameter requiring more solutions, then the lower shaft of my 800 is obviously over diameter. It appears not to bother some users, but I am darn well bothered like yourself....

But after all that, I love the machine, it's great.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I had no problems with the Nox weight or the arm cuff, I guess I should consider my self lucky at my age to not have any problems I'm 71 and hunted 6 hours on Saturday and 3 hours yesterday (Sunday) with no arm pains or pains in any part of my body. I only started using the cuff strap on the Nox I never used the strap on my Garrets.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree.. when I first got the machine, had exactly the same problem. As it stands at the moment I have moved the grip up by 1.5 inches, shortened the stem considerably and added a 4 oz sinker to the inside of the shaft end above the elbow. Also crucial was the positioning of the arm rest, mine is in the 4th hole down.

This does not solve, but greatly helps the problem. The term ergonomics has been missed out, the centre of gravity is way off. Coil pulls down remarkably heavily. The answer is an s shaft in centre section, but those available are under diameter requiring more solutions, then the lower shaft of my 800 is obviously over diameter. It appears not to bother some users, but I am darn well bothered like yourself....

But after all that, I love the machine, it's great.

That's a good point, and not something I considered... that the positioned where the cuff is mounted may also be part of the problem. I'm also now question if even moving it, as well as losing the strap, will be enough for it to feel good enough for me to want to swing. I wonder if buying an Anderson shaft would be a good idea, or would just be a distinction without a difference.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has the deus spoiled you? it has me and I got very used to the lack of weight. I am older with various health issues and so my muscle memory lacks a lot these days. I don't like using a strap either and my arm does flop around quite a bit unless I mentally force myself to tighten everything up in my grip etc. But then I catch myself creeping up higher on the grip to the unit. I have considered exactly what you are thinking, just don't have the access to anything right now as we are packed up and ready to move. sometimes little things make a world of a difference like moving the cuff to a better spot for you plus padding etc. sure hope it gets worked out for you. When asked if I am allergic to anything, I tell them pain now LOL. I have a very high pain tolerance but after a while, it does get very old.

Yes, the Deus has spoiled me for sure, but not related to this as the weight is not the issue.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I had no problems with the Nox weight or the arm cuff, I guess I should consider my self lucky at my age to not have any problems I'm 71 and hunted 6 hours on Saturday and 3 hours yesterday (Sunday) with no arm pains or pains in any part of my body. I only started using the cuff strap on the Nox I never used the strap on my Garrets.

Must be just one of those things where many are ok and it's just not suited for others. If it was going to be my main detector and I started swinging it a lot, I'm sure one of two things would happen... I'd either get used to it, or it would make my elbow very bad very fast. I'm not really interested in testing to make that determination, and thankfully don't have to being my back up detector. That said, it would be sort of dumb to keep a detector that doesn't agree with you. Sort of like buying a watch that's very uncomfortable on the wrist, but keeping it because you like the look. The Equinox 600 is what I wanted in a back up to my Deus, so hopefully some small changed will help.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only had my 800 out one time and that was for testing. As soon as it is cooler here I'll be using it a lot, not looking at putting it in the water anytime soon.

When I tested it out I felt the weight! The reason I sold my Etrac was that it was an elbow cranker. I'll be following this thread looking for at least partial solutions.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must be just one of those things where many are ok and it's just not suited for others. If it was going to be my main detector and I started swinging it a lot, I'm sure one of two things would happen... I'd either get used to it, or it would make my elbow very bad very fast. I'm not really interested in testing to make that determination, and thankfully don't have to being my back up detector. That said, it would be sort of dumb to keep a detector that doesn't agree with you. Sort of like buying a watch that's very uncomfortable on the wrist, but keeping it because you like the look. The Equinox 600 is what I wanted in a back up to my Deus, so hopefully some small changed will help.

I'm trying to think where I have my cuff mounted to the shaft, if not mistaken I have it in the center set of holes, I will look tonight when I get home to see, that could be a factor in the fatigue issue.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I now believe my issue is almost certainly from the cuff being mounted too high. I just picked up my Deus and the cuff fits into my upper forearm, where as the Equinox is much higher - up at my elbow. Good to see this because it should be an easy solution providing moving it down will be low enough. Unfortunately I'll have to buy a new cuff (or shaft) as I bought this detector used and the original owner stripped the thread and drove 3 screws into the shaft permanently fastening it.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now. :thumbsup:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now. :thumbsup:

Heating the cuff makes a huge difference. You can probably dunk it in boiling water if you don't have a heat gun. I lowered my cuff down to my forearm, and then heated it with a heat gun until my arm fit snug but not tight. I use the strap, but I keep it somewhat loose. It's only to keep the machine from slapping my arm when I swing fast.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bingo! So much better having the cuff positioned lower and it closed in. I just need some foam and it will be a perfect fit.

What I did is I used twine to tie it into the position I wanted, and then held it over the burner on the range until it started to smoke. Did that on each side, maybe 20 seconds and done.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20180813_161638.jpg
    thumbnail_20180813_161638.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 127
  • thumbnail_20180813_161818.jpg
    thumbnail_20180813_161818.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 112
  • thumbnail_20180813_161904.jpg
    thumbnail_20180813_161904.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 102

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
First thing I did was adjust the arm cuff to fit. Good luck IP.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was easy.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun. Works great.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, that was.. no it wasn't. :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope you can get it comfortable. I take the control off my Deus and it's like swinging a Bear switch.:laughing7:

Ironfeathers

Greenie
Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I managed to get my mess of an arm cuff to the lower position. This puts it in a much better place on my forearm, and I'll now lose the strap and either heat the cuff and bend it, or build it up on the sides to fit my arm a little better. Think I should be ok now. [emoji106]
I picked up rubber knee pad at the Dollar Store and cut it to fit in the arm cuff. Makes a nice soft fit for my arm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread