Ground Balance Question on Nox 800

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This question could be directed at both the 600 and the 800. I checked my ground balance setting yesterday and noted that it was showing 53. I have not made any changes to the factor setting, which I understand is zero, so I did a factor reset afterwards it was showing zero. Went out today turned the unit on and checked the GB it was 53, at 53 it seems to have no effect on the detector at all seems to be just as good at 53 as at zero no change in volume etc. So I thought I try experiment turned the unit off and back on and the ground balance was 53, coil cover is clean, no water and debris between cover and coil. I also tried turning off and back on without cover get the same thing defaults to 53. Anyone else having issue like this? I plan on contacting Minelab but thought I see if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive noticed this as well and can only guess its doing some sort of averaging between the 2....as you said, never caused a problem so i just forgot about it.....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your problem but a few observations. i have not noticed what you are describing myself:

First: GB is mode specific. Each mode is individually ground balanced and each mode may show a different number on the same patch of ground. So it is important to specify the mode you were in when reading the GB number.

Second: I would expect the GB number to go to zero upon factory reset as you expected, but to have it change without you doing a a manual, automatic, or have the GB in tracking (make sure this is not the case) is odd. The Gold Modes do default to tracking GB so I would expect their numbers to be different every time you turn on the detector and swing the coil.

Third: What is not strange is for the GB number to NOT change by simply turning the machine off and on. If you do nothing, the GB should will stick to the last number generated from the last GB unless you do a manual or auto GB again. If the unit is in tracking (which it should not be after a factory reset) then you could see it adjusting and defaulting to the same number on the same patch of ground, but that would be a low probability it would be the same number every time.

Fourth: You never said what happens when you actually attempt to change the GB by doing a manual or auto GB. Does it respond as expected or is it stuck at that number?

I would definitely call ML, but you probably need to give them a little more information about the modes (does it do this in every mode) and GB settings (manual, automatic, and tracking).

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive noticed this as well and can only guess its doing some sort of averaging between the 2....as you said, never caused a problem so i just forgot about it.....

Between what 2? It is not supposed to change on its own unless you are in tracking. What modes have you observed do this (just looking for more specifics)?

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what the OP is saying is that when you toggle between manual GB and pumping GB there is a 53 point difference, manual being 0 and pumping being 53? Thats what i noticed anyway....say if you pump GB it sets at 53, then you toggle to manual it shows 0.....why doesnt manual GB also show 53?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your problem but a few observations. i have not noticed what you are describing myself:

First: GB is mode specific. Each mode is individually ground balanced and each mode may show a different number on the same patch of ground. So it is important to specify the mode you were in when reading the GB number.

Second: I would expect the GB number to go to zero upon factory reset as you expected, but to have it change without you doing a a manual, automatic, or have the GB in tracking (make sure this is not the case) is odd. The Gold Modes do default to tracking GB so I would expect their numbers to be different every time you turn on the detector and swing the coil.

Third: What is not strange is for the GB number to NOT change by simply turning the machine off and on. If you do nothing, the GB should will stick to the last number generated from the last GB unless you do a manual or auto GB again. If the unit is in tracking (which it should not be after a factory reset) then you could see it adjusting and defaulting to the same number on the same patch of ground, but that would be a low probability it would be the same number every time.

Foruth: You never said what happens when you actually attempt to change the GB by doing a manual or auto GB. Does it respond as expected or is it stuck at that number?

I would definitely call ML, but you probably need to give them a little more information about the modes (does it do this in every mode) and GB settings (manual, automatic, and tracking).

The only mode this happens in is Park 1, non of the other modes are affected they all show zero on factory reset. Ground tracking is not on, if I pump the coil it will change maybe 5 points down from 53 to 48, I can press the minus key and it will go to zero, but if I turn off and on again it defaults to 53 in park 1 only.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, thanks for the additional info. Def strange behavior that warrants a call to minelab.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found that if you have the coil resting on the ground an activate GB it will immediately give you a reading other than zero indicating the amount mineralization or other factors in the ground relative to your location. I'm no where's as smart as VF and some others and I'd never doubt what they're saying. You may have a defective machine, I'm just passing along what I've observed with my 800... "D"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that if you have the coil resting on the ground an activate GB it will immediately give you a reading other than zero indicating the amount mineralization or other factors in the ground relative to your location. I'm no where's as smart as VF and some others and I'd never doubt what they're saying. You may have a defective machine, I'm just passing along what I've observed with my 800... "D"

At this point I don’t make a move without reading VF’s comments. #truth

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on my Nox 800. I emailed Minelab with a detail listing of what was happing to the ground balance setting in Park 1 and the rest of the modes. The problem I was having was in mode park 1 only, when in park one the GB number was 53, you could do a manual ground balance and lower the number to zero but as soon as turned off and back on the GB number would show 53. I could do a auto GB and the numbers would move down maybe 5 points, auto tracking was not one during any of these problems. Another thing the coil was not resting on the ground and it did not matter if the coil was on the ground or in the air, plus could do a factory reset and coil would default to GB 53 the same if turned the detector of and back on again.

OK that is a description of what was going on with the detector. Minelab is as perplex as I am as to what was causing this they said they have never seen or experienced this happing. I thought before I send the detector in I try one last time to get the detector to clear and act correct. I did a factor reset checked GB still 53, did auto GB and instantly the numbers went down to around 18 before would only move about 5 points down. Did a manual GB to get to Zero pressed the settings button to get out of GB mode, turned off and back on GB was zero, did factory reset GB zero. Over the next two hours turned the detector on and off each time GB was zero just as it should be, did couple FP checked GB it was zero. GB was zero in all modes. I gave Minelab the serial number and ask if it would be ok that I not return the detector at this time seeing it was working fine. I ask if they could set up a file that if it happens again it would be noted that there was a problem in the past with this detector or if they find that other detectors are having the same problem I would be notified that there is a problem, Minelab said that was fine and if it happens any time in the future to just contact them to return. Could not ask for more than that any company.

Sorry for the long update maybe the problem I had will help someone else, the detector continues to work fine thanks for everyone comments especially vferrari thanks.

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that it looks like Hal's machine is acting up if it is doing that after a true factory reset. ML should be called.

See there Hugh, told ya I wasn't a smart as y'all and thanks Hal for the update, here all this time I was thinking the detector was instantly reading the ground mineralization. That's why I love visiting this forum, you learn so much that's extremely helpful, and as I've often learned, a little knowledge is dangerous as my post above proved... Lol

"D"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on my Nox 800. I emailed Minelab with a detail listing of what was happing to the ground balance setting in Park 1 and the rest of the modes. The problem I was having was in mode park 1 only, when in park one the GB number was 53, you could do a manual ground balance and lower the number to zero but as soon as turned off and back on the GB number would show 53. I could do a auto GB and the numbers would move down maybe 5 points, auto tracking was not one during any of these problems. Another thing the coil was not resting on the ground and it did not matter if the coil was on the ground or in the air, plus could do a factory reset and coil would default to GB 53 the same if turned the detector of and back on again.

OK that is a description of what was going on with the detector. Minelab is as perplex as I am as to what was causing this they said they have never seen or experienced this happing. I thought before I send the detector in I try one last time to get the detector to clear and act correct. I did a factor reset checked GB still 53, did auto GB and instantly the numbers went down to around 18 before would only move about 5 points down. Did a manual GB to get to Zero pressed the settings button to get out of GB mode, turned off and back on GB was zero, did factory reset GB zero. Over the next two hours turned the detector on and off each time GB was zero just as it should be, did couple FP checked GB it was zero. GB was zero in all modes. I gave Minelab the serial number and ask if it would be ok that I not return the detector at this time seeing it was working fine. I ask if they could set up a file that if it happens again it would be noted that there was a problem in the past with this detector or if they find that other detectors are having the same problem I would be notified that there is a problem, Minelab said that was fine and if it happens any time in the future to just contact them to return. Could not ask for more than that any company.

Sorry for the long update maybe the problem I had will help someone else, the detector continues to work fine thanks for everyone comments especially vferrari thanks.

That's good news, Hal. With a 3 year warranty and ML willing to make it right but be flexible, you can have some peace of mind that if it acts up again you can ship it out and if not, then you are good to go. Keep us posted if it acts up again so we can be on the lookout for similar quirks.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only mode this happens in is Park 1, non of the other modes are affected they all show zero on factory reset. Ground tracking is not on, if I pump the coil it will change maybe 5 points down from 53 to 48, I can press the minus key and it will go to zero, but if I turn off and on again it defaults to 53 in park 1 only.

I recommend you do a full factory reset.
If this doesn’t correct. Do 2 full factory resets in a row.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread