If you were hunting a shallow Creek which one would you use?

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the 11" today in shallow water and was fine, a little drag to it but not bad. No brush or roots just sand bottom.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m going to a small creek tomorrow that has a broken pottery and bottles and I was wondering should I use the 11 inch of the 6”? I’m not used to water hunting and I’ve never hunted a creek. Thanks

if you are looking for gold and there is bed rock, I would suggest the 6". If it is mostly gravel and sand then the 11" would be my choice. Look for the drop line, which is the edges of gravel banks and about 10" out from the gravel bank edge into the water along the center of the creek. Of course this is a curved line that changes some after a heavy rain but this is where most object get dropped after a heavy rain. also check along the bottom of the eroded sides of the creek bank where any relics at the top of the bank layers might have gotten washed down into the creek bed. Good luck, watch for snakes and glass in the creek. Two dangers to be aware of.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are looking for gold and there is bed rock, I would suggest the 6". If it is mostly gravel and sand then the 11" would be my choice. Look for the drop line, which is the edges of gravel banks and about 10" out from the gravel bank edge into the water along the center of the creek. Of course this is a curved line that changes some after a heavy rain but this is where most object get dropped after a heavy rain. also check along the bottom of the eroded sides of the creek bank where any relics at the top of the bank layers might have gotten washed down into the creek bed. Good luck, watch for snakes and glass in the creek. Two dangers to be aware of.

Thanks pulltab great advice. Unfortunately this particular stream has Louisiana clay banks slick as hell. I did go this morning didn’t find much but I did find I’ll post later. Coin hunt in deep gravel is harder then it looks, although I did forget my Stealth Scoop lol

P.S. water hunting is ALOT cooler should have done this months ago!!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes lake hunting in Atlanta in August especially when you out there chest deep is much cooler than hunting out in the open sun. I have found my sand scoop not terribly useful in gravel. I just use my shovel and dig like a badger to keep the walls of the hole from collapsing which is almost impossible in some of the creeks in and around metro Atlanta.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes lake hunting in Atlanta in August especially when you out there chest deep is much cooler than hunting out in the open sun. I have found my sand scoop not terribly useful in gravel. I just use my shovel and dig like a badger to keep the walls of the hole from collapsing which is almost impossible in some of the creeks in and around metro Atlanta.

Gotcha. That was the problem the hole collapses. So the trick is to just start digging like a madman then check the spoils?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, just check the hole and around the hole to see if target moved. I use the pinpointer to locate my scoop area and use a sturdy plastic dog food scoop 2" x 4" once I have dug enough of the hole and see the target has moved. I just pass the scoop full of sand and gravel over the coils and discard if no signal and repeat the process. Kind of like desert metal detectorist do recovering targets in dry dusty sand and gravel. Warning don't use your bare hand in creeks, too much hidden glass and fish hooks at least here in Atlanta. I don't even do that with gloves on since it is too risky. Nothing to derail your detecting than a nasty cut that can get infected in nasty creek water. Lots of creek water may look clear, but it is full of nasty stuff to infect even a slight cut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep, just check the hole and around the hole to see if target moved. I use the pinpointer to locate my scoop area and use a sturdy plastic dog food scoop 2" x 4" once I have dug enough of the hole and see the target has moved. I just pass the scoop full of sand and gravel over the coils and discard if no signal and repeat the process. Kind of like desert metal detectorist do recovering targets in dry dusty sand and gravel. Warning don't use your bare hand in creeks, too much hidden glass at least here in Atlanta. I don't even do that with gloves on since it is too risky. Nothing to derail your detecting than a nasty cut that can get infected in nasty creek water. Lots of creek water may look clear, but it is full of nasty stuff to infect even a slight cut.

Thanks for the pointers and the large dog scoop is the way to go because the small gravel seems pretty deep.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
actually I now use this fiskars scoop now

I kind of wore out my dogfood scoop I bought at the pet store. I found that this fiskars.com - "FiberComp Soil scoop is much better for my metal detecting purposes. It is a very sturdy plastic that does not bend at all like most cheap dog food scoops. it also floats because it has a hollow handle.

fiskarsscoop.JPG

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like that scoop, kellyco has that scoop with sifting holes. I think they have them drilled cuz cant find them anywhere else. Might get one and drill it, be handy wading.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got one of those fibercomp scoops with holes and like it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread