Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now guys I have to admit I put a rosie in a plastic coin protector and put it at a 90 degree angle at about 5” and some wasn’t evening hitting it. I told my buddy Possumcop who was with me he was in Park 1. I told he you want be to blow you mind? I have it to him and said dig it. He took it buried it probably 4” and plugging it back up and NOTHING. Lol Needless to say in blew his mine. Well I just saw this video any thoughts?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this guy seems to be very anti equinox and pro other detectors. Is he for real, a stickler for details and accuracy or just a shill for some other metal detecting manufacturer? You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lewis1141951/videos

But i notice he is pretty much is consistently anti-equinox even to the point in some videos putting gauze around the equinox grip and cable ties on the arm rest implying they are faulty.

is he fudging the setting of the equinox off camera to make the mode 1 positions to not see silver setting on the edge? anyone with good video editing software and some skill can stop and restart a video giving him a chance to alter the settings.

what do I really think? I honestly don't know and until someone duplicates his test and gets the same results we won't know. I am really surprised that with the numbers of equinox users at this point in time,that others would have discovered this supposed glitch and posted it all over the various MD forums. He did a very similar video on a cache of silver coins claiming the equinox could not see the cache of silver coins.

Very good negative marketing efforts similar to this can hurt sales of a product in the market by a competitor. IBM invented this type of marketing in the 1950-60's. It is called planting fear, uncertainty and doubt in the mind of competitors prospective customers causing them not to buy a product or service from a competitor.

if you have looked at his videos, give us your opinion on where he is coming from? A competitor shill or just an honest gadfly?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I know what Truth has found with this machine. Some border line banner finds. This video is to help people not discourage them from buying the Nox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I stop making finds with my Equinox then I'll worry about my Equinox. I don't really pay much attention to one off air tests, quirky singular coin target issues, edge on targets, or disappearing silver hoard videos. I might pay attention to test garden videos for detector comparisons like what Calabash does, but I can't worry about one off quirks. I have a dime in my test garden thast is not very deep (<6"), no iron or trash around it that I can detect, but barely rings up on my Deus and Equinox but rings up ok on my venerable F75. Time to trash my Deus and Equinox? I think not because I have deep high conductive and mid conductive targets that EQ and Deus hit hard and F75 not so much, and that is the more typical situation, so my Go To detectors are...take a big guess. Still holding on to my F75 too, though, because I like concentric coils in certain situations and because the F75 was the best of its era, especially with regards to ergonomics.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just to make it clear, I am not questioning truth1253 in the least. He is simply pointing out the video this guy lewis1141951 made and asking others opinion about the video. This is the only way to undercover some suspicious posts or youtube videos about any detector. It is important to uncover posts and videos that may not be true to keep this and other MD forums informative and truthful for all members. The only guy i am very skeptical of is this lewis1141941 person on youtube for a variety of reasons listed in my reply post.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok, was out doing some testing of my Equinox 800 with the 5 tone breaks settings on cw bullets. When that was finished I decided to duplicate what lewis1141951 was claiming in his so called proof that the equinox cannot see sliver coins on their edge. so set up in field two mode and stood up a silver quarter and morgan dollar and silver 50 cent piece. got rock solid tones and tid reading on each one with sensitivity about 20. But funny thing happened when I lowered the sensitivity down to 5 and you get exactly the type of reading that lewis1141951 is showing in his youtube video. eg no or broken tones and no tid.

so I am convinced 100% he is not an honest gadfly, but a shill for some other manufacturer or just seems to have a huge grudge against Minelab. as far as I am concerned this is the truth about the matter. Thanks to truth1253 for bringing to our attention this bogus (my opinion) video that is just like his other bogus video showing the Equinox cannot find a cache of silver coins video. You get the same bogus results if you turn the sensitivity way low. It is a shame that someone will try to mislead others who are trying hard to learn the art and science of metal detecting. I am thank full there are guys here like truth1253, calabash and vferrari and many others who educated us with real facts about our hobby.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am not a fan of lewis' videos. He tries almost too hard to make it seem like he is doing everything on the up and up yet shows stuff that is easily debunked by others. I have said it before, it is a lot easier to set up a machine such that it shows terrible performance than it is to fake actual good performance from a machine. I have called him out on several "issues" I have seen on his videos. For example, you never see him sweep the ground before he places his test target to show folks that there is not some interfering buried object that can mess with the settings. He does not noise cancel each mode he uses in his test, only the first mode he uses indicating, at best a lack of knowledge of how the machine operates. He never does a ground balance nor shows us what the ground conditions at his test bed are before he conducts his testing, he doesn't realize that when he tests the Equinox in single frequency he does not need to cycle through all the Park and Field modes because single frequency negates the differences between those modes (which is primarily determined by the MultiIQ profile), and I can go on and on. Ironically, the one video he uploaded where I could actually reproduce the results (three quarters lying on edge pressed into the surface of the ground, resulting in an odd TDI in Multi but a clear Quarter TDI at 5 khz) he took down for some reason. But, again, I really didn't care about that odd situation because I would never encounter it in real life. Not sure if he does have a grudge against ML, is a charlatan, or just thinks of himself as some kind of super sleuth when it comes to odd behavior from the Equinox for unrealistic detecting scenarios. He keeps saying he has called ML to "alert them" to these issues and they promise him they are working on fixes. But frankly, I would rather ML not work on these ridiculous "issues" for fear of them screwing up something that actually works and that I care about. Oh well, best of luck to his faithful followers. He should really get out and do some detecting rather than thinking of wacky Equinox take down videos AFAIC.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this guy seems to be very anti equinox and pro other detectors. Is he for real, a stickler for details and accuracy or just a shill for some other metal detecting manufacturer? You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lewis1141951/videos

But i notice he is pretty much is consistently anti-equinox even to the point in some videos putting gauze around the equinox grip and cable ties on the arm rest implying they are faulty.

is he fudging the setting of the equinox off camera to make the mode 1 positions to not see silver setting on the edge? anyone with good video editing software and some skill can stop and restart a video giving him a chance to alter the settings.

what do I really think? I honestly don't know and until someone duplicates his test and gets the same results we won't know. I am really surprised that with the numbers of equinox users at this point in time,that others would have discovered this supposed glitch and posted it all over the various MD forums. He did a very similar video on a cache of silver coins claiming the equinox could not see the cache of silver coins.

Very good negative marketing efforts similar to this can hurt sales of a product in the market by a competitor. IBM invented this type of marketing in the 1950-60's. It is called planting fear, uncertainty and doubt in the mind of competitors prospective customers causing them not to buy a product or service from a competitor.

if you have looked at his videos, give us your opinion on where he is coming from? A competitor shill or just an honest gadfly?

I actually got that same feeling. I was just try to figure out how he did it or is it true. Haven’t had a chance to test.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am not a fan of lewis' videos. He tries almost too hard to make it seem like he is doing everything on the up and up yet shows stuff that is easily debunked by others. I have said it before, it is a lot easier to set up a machine such that it shows terrible performance than it is to fake actual good performance from a machine. I have called him out on several "issues" I have seen on his videos. For example, you never see him sweep the ground before he places his test target to show folks that there is not some interfering buried object that can mess with the settings. He does not noise cancel each mode he uses in his test, only the first mode he uses indicating, at best a lack of knowledge of how the machine operates. He never does a ground balance nor shows us what the ground conditions at his test bed are before he conducts his testing, he doesn't realize that when he tests the Equinox in single frequency he does not need to cycle through all the Park and Field modes because single frequency negates the differences between those modes (which is primarily determined by the MultiIQ profile), and I can go on and on. Ironically, the one video he uploaded where I could actually reproduce the results (three quarters lying on edge pressed into the surface of the ground, resulting in an odd TDI in Multi but a clear Quarter TDI at 5 khz) he took down for some reason. But, again, I really didn't care about that odd situation because I would never encounter it in real life. Not sure if he does have a grudge against ML, is a charlatan, or just thinks of himself as some kind of super sleuth when it comes to odd behavior from the Equinox for unrealistic detecting scenarios. He keeps saying he has called ML to "alert them" to these issues and they promise him they are working on fixes. But frankly, I would rather ML not work on these ridiculous "issues" for fear of them screwing up something that actually works and that I care about. Oh well, best of luck to his faithful followers. He should really get out and do some detecting rather than thinking of wacky Equinox take down videos AFAIC.

V once again you hit it out the park.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

V, I am glad you feel the same way I do about Lewis. I will just chalk him up to being an odd character. I do hope people considering the Nox see some of our comments on his videos so they don't get the wrong opinion of the nox. Yes there are some quirks to the nox that honest brokers of information here on these forums have pointed out. And it is important to be aware of some of these quirks. But lewis's videos show supposed shortcomings that would never come from Minelab design engineers.

I represent a typical detectorist coming to Minelab for the first time. I come from using the AT Pro for three years. a darn good machine. But the 800 forced me to learn more about metal detecting theory and techniques than any detector that I ever owned. And this is good because I now have more technical skills and confidence than I had five months ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread