🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1534961632.351038.jpg
I got permission to MD one of the oldest standing homes in my town this coming Saturday.

Up til now I have spent time refining Park 1 for super trashy old parks and also time on Field 2 (pretty much stock) for cellar hole sites. I have a 600 and Park 1 and Field 2 have similar tones. Sort of how I have landed on these 2.

Would you go Field 2 because all the mid and high tones are audible or Park 1 and cherry pick. I have 3 hours on this 1.5 acre site. Not sure if I will get repeat permission. May be a one shot deal.

I’m sure there will be layers of modern junk and clad over any oldies that are still there.

Thx

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 hours.... cherry pick! There will be trash there don't waste time chasing it. If you get to go back then you might change your stratigy . Cherry pick is my vote.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another cherry pick vote. Largies and old silver come in high. Along with some buttons and bigger relics.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes for only 3hrs.cherry pick. If you get a chance to go back use field 2 and clean up all the relics. Congrats on the permission.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, thx all. I will start out with my Park 1 cherry picker (high trash disc), and if pickins are slim I’ll open it up with the Field2 and start digging mid tones.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, thx all. I will start out with my Park 1 cherry picker (high trash disc), and if pickins are slim I’ll open it up with the Field2 and start digging mid tones.

Hopefully you pull something good out of there. Looks like a good spot!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did a test run with my Park1 high disc setting. Looks like I will be missing Shield Nickels, 3 Cent Nickels, fatty IHP’s, anything gold, suspender clips, miners tags, and small flat buttons. I am debating on adding 15 back in as this is where War Nickels are signaling. I think the trade off with disc on all of these numbers should reduce the trash holes at this short permission.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a lot of non-ferrou, mid-conductive trash, then consider going single frequency at 5 khz to focus on the high conductors which are more easily masked by thick non-ferrous, mid-conductive trash. If ferrous junk is thick then back of on the Park 1 iron bias because you will miss masked high conductive targets with it set too high and if the iron is unbearable, consider lowering sensitivity to sift the iron out. You may lose some depth, but the fact is you are trying to nab shallow to mid-depth masked targets anyway. The super deep stuff is going to get lost in all the junk noise.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535209006.055213.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535209021.422191.jpg

Ok, 11 wheat pennies, a little clad, a couple brass relics, Small crotal bell and a token. Never found so many wheat pennies in a short hunt before.

Super nice experience, the little girl and her twin brother did a lot of the pinpointer work.

I have permission to “come back any time” which is great. I had to stick to the Park1 with 6 Noise cancel and 32 ground balance, power 22. (The soil in W Pa typically does not need ground balancing.). Switching to Field2 the machine would sound off like crazy. There are at least 3 visible major overhead power lines on this property, not sure if that was the issue. I fired up my Ace 250 for the owner to try and in coin mode had to lower it to 2 sensitivity in order for it not to sound like a pinball machine, not really usable.

I may try changing frequencies as recommended next time. With 11 wheats I can’t see this property being hunted too heavily before, hard to cherry pick around wheats. There have to be some silvers in there, wish I had some more experience on the Nox, will wait until I am a bit better before going back with a different strategy.

Thx all!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1625195
View attachment 1625196

Ok, 11 wheat pennies, a little clad, a couple brass relics, Small crotal bell and a token. Never found so many wheat pennies in a short hunt before.

Super nice experience, the little girl and her twin brother did a lot of the pinpointer work.

I have permission to “come back any time” which is great. I had to stick to the Park1 with 6 Noise cancel and 32 ground balance, power 22. (The soil in W Pa typically does not need ground balancing.). Switching to Field2 the machine would sound off like crazy. There are at least 3 visible major overhead power lines on this property, not sure if that was the issue. I fired up my Ace 250 for the owner to try and in coin mode had to lower it to 2 sensitivity in order for it not to sound like a pinball machine, not really usable.

I may try changing frequencies as recommended next time. With 11 wheats I can’t see this property being hunted too heavily before, hard to cherry pick around wheats. There have to be some silvers in there, wish I had some more experience on the Nox, will wait until I am a bit better before going back with a different strategy.

Thx all!

Great finds. Is that Cafe still around? Lol.

Couple of comments. Remember that you have to noise cancel (including lowering sensitivity as needed - having to go a few points less than 20 on sensitivity is not really a game changer as far as depth is concerned) and ground balance separately for each mode. That could be why Field 2 was noisy. Unless there are a lot of mid-conductors to be had, though, I would just stick with Park 1.

Even though you feel you don't need to ground balance in PA, there is no harm in doing so, it takes just a few seconds, and if you don't want to mess with it, just use tracking GB which will work fine with no downside as long as your ground is not reading 0. That being said, the Equinox with Multi IQ is very forgiving of a less than optimal GB.

My best relic and coin finds have come in PA and the Equinox scored some great bucket listers for me in PA (including silvers), running Field 2 in plowed fields using tracking GB. So I like detecting up there. Looks like you have a great permissions with some nice finds yet to come. Congrats.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is a lot of non-ferrou, mid-conductive trash, then consider going single frequency at 5 khz to focus on the high conductors which are more easily masked by thick non-ferrous, mid-conductive trash. If ferrous junk is thick then back of on the Park 1 iron bias because you will miss masked high conductive targets with it set too high and if the iron is unbearable, consider lowering sensitivity to sift the iron out. You may lose some depth, but the fact is you are trying to nab shallow to mid-depth masked targets anyway. The super deep stuff is going to get lost in all the junk noise.

Is that the same advice you’d give in high iron high mineralized soil? I planted a Rosie 7” or so and barely got a signal in any mode.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave you my recommendations on your Rosie dilemma in the thread you started on it, Truth. Mineralized soil kills depth, period. It is not like high iron trash you can pick around with a small coil and high recovery speeds. Just a fact of life. But you should do some experiments with diffrent targets, different modes, and different settings. PA ground where I've hunted is not highly mineralized so the approach and advice I have given to the OP is different than how I would approach extremely hot ground like Culpeper, VA. I also set my expectations lower when hunting in that stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Is that Cafe still around? Lol.

Couple of comments. Remember that you have to noise cancel (including lowering sensitivity as needed - having to go a few points less than 20 on sensitivity is not really a game changer as far as depth is concerned) and ground balance separately for each mode. That could be why Field 2 was noisy. Unless there are a lot of mid-conductors to be had, though, I would just stick with Park 1.

Even though you feel you don't need to ground balance in PA, there is no harm in doing so, it takes just a few seconds, and if you don't want to mess with it, just use tracking GB which will work fine with no downside as long as your ground is not reading 0. That being said, the Equinox with Multi IQ is very forgiving of a less than optimal GB.

My best relic and coin finds have come in PA and the Equinox scored some great bucket listers for me in PA (including silvers), running Field 2 in plowed fields using tracking GB. So I like detecting up there. Looks like you have a great permissions with some nice finds yet to come. Congrats.

Thx. Next time there I’ll try lowering sensitivity, noise cancel etc in Field2. All the small keeper targets were only 2-4” deep, some garbage much deeper. I’ll try burying a silver quarter and dime 6” -8” and see if the detector sees it at this site or not. Definitely a ton of EMI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread