Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys I’m tired on the Equinox wobble and I’m ready to bit the carbon fiber bullet. No looking to have to do anything like drilling my own holes etc. I went to Kellyco but I just don’t like the idea of paying for shipping because I’m ordering some other stuff as well. Hey I’m in the spending mood. Just checking to see if there’s any places I may not be aware off, if not I’ll just pay the shipping. Thanks

I think this Amazon Prime 2 day free delivery ruined me along time ago.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search the internet for valid free shipping or order discount coupon codes for Kellyco to reduce or eliminate the shipping cost. There are usually some valid discount coupons( $5 off or free shipping) codes that are out there that can be used. Overall the shipping cost is not too outrageous if you do have to bite the bullet, but I too am spoiled by Prime.

Also, if you go to the Anderson website, they list all the MD vendors that carry their products. There are TNET sponsored and other vendors on the list besides KCO that may offer shipping at lower cost (have not verified this).

Finally, Plugger makes CF shafts but only sells via ebay and tacks on shipping fee (as do MD storefronts on ebay that sell Anderson shafts).

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search the internet for valid free shipping or order discount coupon codes for Kellyco to reduce or eliminate the shipping cost. There are usually some valid discount coupons( $5 off or free shipping) codes that are out there that can be used. Overall the shipping cost is not too outrageous if you do have to bite the bullet, but I too am spoiled by Prime.

Also, if you go to the Anderson website, they list all the MD vendors that carry their products. There are TNET sponsored and other vendors on the list besides KCO that may offer shipping at lower cost (have not verified this).

Finally, Plugger makes CF shafts but only sells via ebay and tacks on shipping fee (as do MD storefronts on ebay that sell Anderson shafts).

HTH

Hey V I bit the bullet and just went to Kellyco. I wanted it for Sunday’s hunt, so I went from wanting it free to paying $28 for 2 day shipping.

Life’s too short lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. You will like that shaft. I recently got a 600 to back up my 800 and to be used as a dedicated salt water machine. Unlike my 800, the 600 had shaft wobble. Not a biggie, but I bit the bullet and got an Anderson shaft which is really designed for water hunting and am happy with it. So much so, I am considering a second for my 800. One thing I like about it is that there are two mounting points for the control head and multiple points for the arm rest, so I can mount the control head as close as possible to the armrest to put less stress on my forearm. Enjoy.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own but looked at Anderson and pluggers before i did. They both get great reveiws. That wiggle drove me crazy, didn't effect anything but my aggravation:laughing9:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nagant --

What did you do to "make your own?" I am thinking about building Equinox shafts -- first for myself, and then maybe for others. I think I'll first start out with just a simple lower rod -- that will fit into the Equinox middle rod. In other words, carbon fiber, but similar otherwise to the Minelab lower rod. From there, once that "works," I may look to branch out into something a bit more elaborate. I'm curious as to what you built...

Steve

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a 36" C/F tube and just copied the hole locations on the EQ upper and middle shafts. So mine is one piece, easy & cheap.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The factory lower fits in the c/f shaft the same as factory, so it's a 2 piece.

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
I got a pluggers shaft and it works and looks great. I like that it uses the stock lower shaft. If they ever release spare lower shafts then I am going to buy one for the 6 inch.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed. You will like that shaft. I recently got a 600 to back up my 800 and to be used as a dedicated salt water machine. Unlike my 800, the 600 had shaft wobble. Not a biggie, but I bit the bullet and got an Anderson shaft which is really designed for water hunting and am happy with it. So much so, I am considering a second for my 800. One thing I like about it is that there are two mounting points for the control head and multiple points for the arm rest, so I can mount the control head as close as possible to the armrest to put less stress on my forearm. Enjoy.

Hugh,

Have you ever tried the Plugger shaft? If so, how do / did you like it compared to the Anderson shaft?

"D"

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nagant --

What did you do to "make your own?" I am thinking about building Equinox shafts -- first for myself, and then maybe for others. I think I'll first start out with just a simple lower rod -- that will fit into the Equinox middle rod. In other words, carbon fiber, but similar otherwise to the Minelab lower rod. From there, once that "works," I may look to branch out into something a bit more elaborate. I'm curious as to what you built...

Steve

Steve,

Text me if you decide to make the Nox shafts. I'd love the lower shafts you made for my CTX and I'd really like to have an upper and lower carbon shaft for my Nox . Especially one built with "Cam-Locks" like on the CTX , instead of the "Pin-Lock" and "Tension" twist type design it has now. Also, if there built with the same quality as the CTX lowers you build, I'm definitely in..

"D"

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh,

Have you ever tried the Plugger shaft? If so, how do / did you like it compared to the Anderson shaft?

"D"

I did not because it requires you to re-use the ML lower shaft and I wanted to repurpose that for my 6" coil so I could simply shift lower rods on the 800 when switching coils (since I retained the OEM stem and shaft for the 800). I noticed that when doing that, the repurposed 600 lower shaft wiggled a little on my 800 (just as it had on the 600) but it was not really noticeable because of the smaller 6" coil weight.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone --

I am not sure where my endeavor into building these Equinox shafts will end up, but for now, I'm thinking of starting with simply building a carbon-fiber lower shaft, that will have the spring clip on it just like the Minelab lower shaft. Essentially, it will be a Minelab-like lower shaft, but made of carbon fiber (and of course, I had to design that lower piece that the coil fits onto -- which is what I'm just now finishing up now, the design and engineering diagrams for that lower piece, which I've sent off to my CNC-machined parts supplier for a quote... so that lower piece will look different than Minelab's).

Anyway, I may look into additional things later...building a middle rod also, along with some type of clamping system between the middle and lower...also possibly a one-piece lower and middle, that would fit into the Minelab upper...etc. BUT, for now, it would just be a lower shaft, to get me started.

It sounds like there are a couple of folks who would be interested in a carbon-fiber lower shaft, maybe? Maybe to have in addition to the factory lower rod -- to simply keep always attached to a 6" coil, or the eventual 12" x 15" coil?

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possumcop -- THANKS for the very kind words! I am pretty sure I AM going to start building Equinox rods...you suggested this to me a LONG time ago, and I've had numerous people ask if I could do an Equinox rod, and my answer has always been "no." But it's kept me thinking. I'm just about there, in terms of being able to build a lower rod, that will fit into the Minelab middle rod. Going beyond that, will still take some more "engineering/design!" LOL!

Steve

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked your website out Steve and your products look really well made, i'd take a eq lower too.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why thanks, nagant! Very much appreciate the kind words! If/when I get this project to the "Production" stage, I will let you know (I will make a post here). If your one-piece middle/upper rod that you made accepts the Minelab lower rod, then it will accept the one I'm planning to make...

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why thanks, nagant! Very much appreciate the kind words! If/when I get this project to the "Production" stage, I will let you know (I will make a post here). If your one-piece middle/upper rod that you made accepts the Minelab lower rod, then it will accept the one I'm planning to make...

Steve

Count me in, Steve. I will take 2 if you decide to go through with this idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread