ground composition vs target question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I think I have seen the answer to this question but cannot remember. On the Equinox 800 I think I read somewhere the tones and TID's are based on the difference between the ground and target.
So if detectorist A is hunting in ground with more mineral content than detectorist B would not a coin like and Indian head penny give different tones and TID's for each detectorist? Assuming the coin is flat and at the same depth and the both detectorist have the exact same factory settings and setup.

If this is true then you would have to take user created and posted TID charts with a grain of salt (which I do anyway).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Equinox, I have found the TIDs to be consistent regardless of whether you have a sat ground balance. Less than optimal ground balance really only affects detection depth (due to the higher ground noise) and/or TID stability on swings which is also a funtion of whether you are at the edge of detection depth.

Regardless of mode, when in Multi IQ operation, the TIDs are pretty consistent between modes. TID varies slightly if you are in single frequency, however, with TID rising slightly with higher frequencies (haven't studied this closely though because frankly I don't obsess over exact TID numbers as I focus on repeatability and stability and general trends in the indicated conductivity number all as a backup to the audio).

Here's my committed to memory TID chart:

Solid 6 or above through 10 - possible gold jewelry (though practically any number from 1 up to low 20's is fair game depending on size and composition of the target. Round juice bottle
freshness seals are a solid 7 and drive me nuts).

12 - 15 Pull Tabs

Solud 13 - Nickels (with rare variation +/-)

15 - 17 Brass Buttons

16 -19 Lead Minor Balls

20/21 - Zincolns

22/23 - Copper Pennies

24-27 - Dimes

27 - Low 30's Small Silver Jewelry

Low 30's - Quarters

Mid to High 30's - Big Silver

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V PM me those numbers. A 1/10 oz American gold eagle coin hits a a soiled 16 if your curious. IMG_0012.JPG

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that with the staples in the coin holder

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Agree with vferrari. In all the testing I’ve done with the EQX in a variety of environments here in Florida, the VDI or TID has remained constant.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread