After nox update...

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some testing after my update. I like! Pinpoint seems completely fixed and the way it should be... Depth seems accurate in both detecting mode and pinpoint mode. Seems more stable and smooth to me. I would normally run recovery speed 5 for best test garden results but now setting of 4 was giving best info for depth, numbers and tone. What is everyone else's feelings?

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing great results with this update! Can't believe they got it out this fast. My ctx has already been collecting dust but now it may get forgotten.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No waiting list for update? sorry. I had to.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The update worked flawlessly. Took 1 minute. Now I just have to get out and try it.

goldtooth

May 14, 2007
central valley in california
Detector(s) used
EXII,Sovereign gt,1266X,,Excalibur 1000,Tigershark,F75,F2
I never had a problem with the coin on its side like some folks did. After update I still don't. But I did have problems with inaccurate depth meter. after update its still the same ,showing target about 2" deeper than it actually is. I also did not have a problem with the pinpointing but now it seems that I do. It seems that the coin is also being pinpointed on the edge of the coil. including the center of the coil. that's no good.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am excited to see if it helps pinpoint in the water. I don't even try to use pinpoint in saltwater its too frustrating. My machine just screams once the water starts moving over the coil so its useless to pinpoint with. I hope this helps.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took her out for a spin with the new update and 6" coil. Ran smooth and quiet and I ended up bagging a merc at about 4" (showed 3 bars). Solid 25/26 VID. Depth gauge is definitely improved. Pinpoint seems a little "tighter" and more intuitive. One thing I also noticed, and I don't know if this was part of the update or just my imagination, but depth audio modulation seems better to me. Did anyone else notice this? It's certainly a welcome change if they tuned it.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am checking 11 different coins. More of an airtest comparing the 2 versions.
5y4tab.jpg

Settings
Park 2
0 GB
Noise cancel channel 1
Speed 6
Iron bias 0
50 tones
Sensitivty 22

n30zk3.jpg

Alright these coins swept real close, ID of these is what I am curious about.

These results below are with NEW version update installed.

Clad Quarter.............29
Clad dime.................25
Copper penny 1964...25
Zincoln.....................20/21
Clad nickle.................13

Standing Liberty Quarter....31
Half dime.........................21
Seated dime.....................25
Merc dime........................26
Barber dime......................25
Buffalo nickel....................12

Next data below same settings using OLDER version software.

Old version results sweeping exact same coins above.

Clad Quarter.............29/30
Copper penny 1964...25

Clad Quarter showed a little difference. Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean maybe newer version is doing something in the ground or at greater distances depthnwise the older version isn’t.

Will try to do a few actual head to heads for ID airtest of coins for meter readings and see what happens and post.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a problem with the coin on its side like some folks did. After update I still don't. But I did have problems with inaccurate depth meter. after update its still the same ,showing target about 2" deeper than it actually is. I also did not have a problem with the pinpointing but now it seems that I do. It seems that the coin is also being pinpointed on the edge of the coil. including the center of the coil. that's no good.

Because there is always going to be someone who hates the update, ML made it so you can roll it back easy if you don't like it. Click on the three dots on the lower right hand corner of the "you are updated to the latest version" screen and the version roll back utility will pop up. HTH.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am checking 11 different coins. More of an airtest comparing the 2 versions.
5y4tab.jpg

Settings
Park 2
0 GB
Noise cancel channel 1
Speed 6
Iron bias 0
50 tones
Sensitivty 22

n30zk3.jpg

Alright these coins swept real close, ID of these is what I am curious about.

These results below are with NEW version update installed.

Clad Quarter.............29
Copper penny 1964...25

Next data below same settings using OLDER version software.

Old version results sweeping exact same coins above.

Clad Quarter.............29/30
Copper penny 1964...25

Clad Quarter showed a little difference. Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean maybe newer version is doing something in the ground or at greater distances depthnwise the older version isn’t.

Will try to do a few actual head to heads for ID airtest of coins for meter readings and see what happens and post.

Clad Quarters, I suspect when they are at odd angles to the coil, have occasionally given me flutey/fluctuating tones and IDs.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried my 800 after the update with couple sliver quarters, clad quarters, dimes and nickels. Buried at different depths and varying angles from standing up right to flat. The Nox found all with a strong signal even standing on end. Also found what looks like an old brass lapel pin that was down about 7", the pinpoint works much better after the update. Looking forward to seeing how it does this weekend. The pin was found in my yard that I swear has been hunted out but still find things.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the update without incident, and used it today for about 6 hours at the beach. Not a beach I regularly detect, so, I'm not going to draw any conclusions yet, but, these are the observations so far. The pin point bug on mine remains. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes I get the silent treatment. Overall depth seemed to be better. I dug some stuff at greater depths than I normally remember doing. It also seemed a bit more sensitive today for whatever reason. Some areas I could run it in 22 sensitivity with only minor chatter, other areas I had to turn it down to 18. I didn't really look at the depth meter (I rarely do at the beach), so, I don't know if the depth meter is more accurate or not. I got about the same readings and sounds as I have in the past, and dug just as many bottle caps and deep tent stakes as before, but, they seemed to sound a bit better today (darn it!) I ran both B1 and B2, stock settings, except for recovery speed, which I ran at 4. I'll know more once I hit some of my regular spots and get a few more hours in to compare with. I just got the 6" coil today, so, I have more things to test! :icon_thumright:

goldtooth

May 14, 2007
central valley in california
Detector(s) used
EXII,Sovereign gt,1266X,,Excalibur 1000,Tigershark,F75,F2
Because there is always going to be someone who hates the update, ML made it so you can roll it back easy if you don't like it. Click on the three dots on the lower right hand corner of the "you are updated to the latest version" screen and the version roll back utility will pop up. HTH.

thank you vferrari. I will roll back my update and check the pinpointing again. I never did this test on pinpointing to see if the pinpointing was any better before the update. now that I can go back I will test again hopefully its not my coil. anybody check to see if a coin on the outside of the coil pinpoints a coin as if it was dead center?

Just rolled back update and tested the coin pinpointing the edge of the coil and it did not even beep until I got the coin closer to the center of coil as it should. I think I will stay with the 1.5 ver

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you vferrari. I will roll back my update and check the pinpointing again. I never did this test on pinpointing to see if the pinpointing was any better before the update. now that I can go back I will test again hopefully its not my coil. anybody check to see if a coin on the outside of the coil pinpoints a coin as if it was dead center?

Just rolled back update and tested the coin pinpointing the edge of the coil and it did not even beep until I got the coin closer to the center of coil as it should. I think I will stay with the 1.5 ver

I will say your experience seems to be an outlier (most appear to love what the update has brought to the table), but one person's bug might be another person's feature, plus updates can always introduce new undesirable behavior. If the Equinox was working for you well before the update, it's good ML provided the easy rollback option, for the if it ain't broke don't fix it crowd, but still allows you to try it out without risk. When I get a chance I will try your pinpointing experiment, but since the Equinox displays significant coil edge sensitivity on surface/shallow targets in general (double beeps), I am not surprised by what you have noticed. You may have found an unwanted side effect of the pinpointing "fix".

OP
OP
basstrackerman

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a 2 hour park hunt after my update.. mine is alot less chatty. Seems to lock on better and less fluctuation on ID numbers. Pinpoint was almost 100% fixed as I did have one quick almost silent pinpoint. The rest were really nice .. seems modulation is working better as it was easier to tell deeper targets from shallow and those aluminum cans sounded louder than before. Usually the large aluminum chunks or cans sounded normal until pinpoint mode then would scream , but now pinpoint still screams but the tone is alot louder before I use pinpoint. My detector may have had some bugs in it before the update because I just could not bring myself to use it over my deus due to chatter, numbers were jumpy and pinpoint was a mess and it took a while to get my headphones to pair up. I did several factory resets but it didn't help.. now all seems so much better even Bluetooth paired right up.. not sure if that was part of the update or what, but it was a joy to use..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread