Has anyone seen a difference since updating?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Biggest thing I noticed was how stable the machine is now in high EMI areas. Spots I would have to dial back to 16-17 were hunted at 22-23 sens. Now. Of course, these spots always hold the deep coins! Lol.

I haven't used mine in the field yet since the update (will tonight), but I did set sensitivity (for my indoor EMI environment) right before updating, and 18 is where it needed to be to mitigate the EMI; after the update, with the machine in the exact same place as before the update, 22 sensitivity seemed to be the "mitigate the EMI" setting.

Sounds very similar to what you found to be the case, HighVDI.

Steve

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried mine on the beach yesterday, it seemed very stable and found lots of small foil some very deep. Pinpointer was more correct on solid sinkers and when it seemed to move around target was loose foil. I am happy with the update.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the depth is still kind of goofy. a penny on the surface indicated 1 bar. a dime at 3 inches indicated 4 bars. I really don't mind. I think of it as a "more depth" or "less depth" indicator. The pinpointing for me was good before update and also good after update. My target is pretty much always where the shaft meets the stock coil. On the 6" coil don't really need to pinpoint. When I find a target i first use my minelab pro find 35 to get a general outline size if it is within the pro finds max depth capability.

There are so many variables with the 800 it is hard to say what has changed or has not changed.

I notice pretty much the same thing, meaning I do not see any real change, VDI's still seem a bit jumpy, depth gauge is so so, and no change in the pinpointing. Reading everything on T-Net about the better results, I thought perhaps I did "something" wrong in the download thing, (I do admit I'm somewhat, "Tech" challenged), so I hooked up again a couple of days later, and it did say that my machine has been updated, so.....in fact, I'm kind of thinking it was better before the up date. It may be my 800, or most likely just me.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice pretty much the same thing, meaning I do not see any real change, VDI's still seem a bit jumpy, depth gauge is so so, and no change in the pinpointing. Reading everything on T-Net about the better results, I thought perhaps I did "something" wrong in the download thing, (I do admit I'm somewhat, "Tech" challenged), so I hooked up again a couple of days later, and it did say that my machine has been updated, so.....in fact, I'm kind of thinking it was better before the up date. It may be my 800, or most likely just me.
Just you....try a silver coin on edge before update....then after.

Matt.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to hunt for about 1 1/2 hours last night with the update. WAY to short to give many definite conclusions, but I definitely noticed a slightly different "personality" to the machine -- all in a GOOD way. Here are a few tentative points/first impressions...

1. Definitely quieter/less chatter. You can run sensitivity higher now, with less EMI.

2. Depth meter is improved. Still need more time to say exactly "how much," but I definitely noticed more accuracy.

3. I'm still trying to figure out if I notice more "modulation," on deep targets; I didn't hit the deep targets last night that I need to hit, to figure out if I can discern whether the tones are quieter on the deep ones. But, I DO think I noticed it being louder on large/shallow targets, which is a definite plus. Still need more time to conclude whether I notice any appreciable "louder on large/shallow stuff, and quieter on the smaller/deeper stuff" modulation improvement, that some have noted.

4. ID seems, as a first impression, to be more stable/accurate.

5. The tones seem to be a little more, I don't know, "descriptive," maybe? This is the hardest thing which I noticed last night to describe, in terms of "quantifying." I felt that tones were "tighter" maybe, i.e. allowing a more clear indication as to exactly what was under the coil. In other words, it "spoke" better, to my ears, in terms of allowing me to know what I was hearing. I didn't have to "work as hard," mentally, to decipher what was in the ground. Again, very hard to describe and quantify, but it feels more "refined," tonally.

6. It MAY be a bit deeper, though I need to dig many more targets to know for sure. I didn't dig any particularly deep coins, but I did dig a small- to medium-sized crushed aluminum screw cap RIDICULOUSLY deep (estimated over 10" deep, I didn't measure), that sounded solid. That definitely seemed to be a "deeper than normal" dig, but since it's the only target I dug to base anything off of, I will withhold judgement until I do some more hunting and testing.

OVERALL, BIG-time kudos to Minelab. The update process could not have been any simpler or faster, IMO, and there are definite improvements to be had with the update, to an already super machine (for my style of hunting, in my type of dirt).

THANKS, Minelab! Please continue the great work!

Steve

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just used it today on a fresh water sand beach I've hit several times. Seemed slightly erratic, falsing on end of swing. Had to lower sensitivity at times, pinpoint had a mind of its own a few times, actually could hold it in the air and it was still sounding off once. Ground balanced several times and it did settle down. Found less clad then usual but 2 were deep. 8 inch quarter and dime.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, how are you going to get that update, man. Be careful if that laptop is not up to date. PM me if you need help.

I updated it for him VF, I have window's 10 and it updated without issues... "D"

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just used it today on a fresh water sand beach I've hit several times. Seemed slightly erratic, falsing on end of swing. Had to lower sensitivity at times, pinpoint had a mind of its own a few times, actually could hold it in the air and it was still sounding off once. Ground balanced several times and it did settle down. Found less clad then usual but 2 were deep. 8 inch quarter and dime.

Nagant,

I was having similar problems and it turned out it had a defective coil / coil cable. I've sent my coil back to Minelab and awaiting my new replacement coil..."D"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nagant,

I was having similar problems and it turned out it had a defective coil / coil cable. I've sent my coil back to Minelab and awaiting my new replacement coil..."D"

"D" - Did you see what I wrote here. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/588063-update-game-changer-me.html#post5930004

Dunno how bad your bump sensitivity was, but I had that issue and it was NOT the coil.

Yeah, Truth told us you were going to update it for him. Glad he took my suggestion to have you do it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's like vferrari wrote about in the (game changer) thread. I was switching between P2 & F2 so was in the hotter modes, ground balanced twice when it got bad and that along with lowering sensitivity helped. I'm always bumping sensitivity up as i go, but this spot is completely EMI free and had no problems before. If it keeps up i might try uninstalling update and start over. Still not able to dig in dirt for long, gotta get one like Calabash's long handled shovel:)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you tell’em!! :laughing

Well he went to ML directly and didn't post about it beforehand that I could see so I chimed in as soon as I heard but the coil was already on its way back in. I couldn't really gage from what he posted whether his situation was off the charts bad (indicating a likely coil failure) or more like mine which was just a hot detector setting. Well at least he IS getting a new coil out of it so that's good, just wanted him to check it out with the new coil to make sure it was really a coil problem so he doesn't get into an infinite coil return situation. Lol.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After logging some decent hours I like most about the update. I feel the machine is a tad deeper....perhaps because it runs a little more quiet now? At any rate, the pinpoint still is subpar IMO for actually pinpointing objects. I do use it for the audio clues though. Definitely a useful tool there. Grabbed 3 silvers from a spot I had been over recently....one of them being a 43 walker half.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well he went to ML directly and didn't post about it beforehand that I could see so I chimed in as soon as I heard but the coil was already on its way back in. I couldn't really gage from what he posted whether his situation was off the charts bad (indicating a likely coil failure) or more like mine which was just a hot detector setting. Well at least he IS getting a new coil out of it so that's good, just wanted him to check it out with the new coil to make sure it was really a coil problem so he doesn't get into an infinite coil return situation. Lol.

I was just playing but yes he IS getting a new one.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After logging some decent hours I like most about the update. I feel the machine is a tad deeper....perhaps because it runs a little more quiet now? At any rate, the pinpoint still is subpar IMO for actually pinpointing objects. I do use it for the audio clues though. Definitely a useful tool there. Grabbed 3 silvers from a spot I had been over recently....one of them being a 43 walker half.

I totally agree with it being deeper even if it’s a inch, inch 1/2.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife said that inch, inch and a half made a big difference.................................

With her 600.

Last edited:

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not seeing any improvements over depth, sensitivity or anything else noticeable. But the one thing the upgrade has improved upon is the "depth meter". This is where my main complaint was, if I had any at all. Target depth levels and the meter are now in sync, pretty much....give or take an inch. I'm pleased about this!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread