Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what it is but since the update my 6” is killing it. It’s hitting deep and hard. Today I got a 8” silver quarter and a antique padlock at 10” and it’s like waving a broomstick the whole time. I’m lovin it.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know that 6" was "walking the walk and talking the talk" Monday when we hunted!!! I wonder if Coiltek will come out with a 10 x 5 coil for the Equinox like they did for the CTX? "D"

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't walk that slow forever. If I am scanning a site for the first time or at the beach, it isn't going to be with a 6 inch coil, no matter how much I love it. Coil coverage (not just depth) is an important attribute, also, when the situation dictates.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn’t that almost the 11”?

Truth. Some basic info on the importance of round and elliptical DD coil dimensions.

Among other things, the primary attributes of coils that matter most are: depth, swing separation, swing coverage, and weight. To keep it simple, I am only referring to DD's here.

For round DD's, the depth and coverage are determined by the diameter of the coil.
Roughly, the effective depth for a round coil is approximately equal to its diameter give or take a few inches. So an 11" coil is typically effective from 9 to 13". The six inch coil roughly effective from 4 to 8" but there are many variables that can affect depth performance in a given situation.

An 11" round DD gives 11" of swing coverage and a 6" coil gives 6" of swing coverage or cuts a coverage swath 6" wide with every swing. That determines how efficiently you can cover the ground with each swing. Swing separation is a term I made up that simply illustrates that smaller diameter round coils give you greater ability to swing side-to-side in restricted areas such as in scrub brush, around corn stubble, or near man made obstacles such as fences and benches. Motion modes require swing motion to be able to pick up a target signal. So a 6" coil gives you more ability to detect a target near an obstacle than an 11" coil.

Eliiptical coils present a compromise to round coils as follows. The "long dimension" determines swing coverage and the "short dimension" roughly determines depth and swing separation.

Take the 10x5" coil example. That coil give a you 10" of swing coverage but depth performance similar but perhaps slightly better than a 5" round coil and swing separation similar to a 5" round coil with weight somewhere between a 5 and 10" round coil.

Similarly, those who are waiting for the ML Equinox 15x12" coil will get perhaps an additional inch or two of depth vs. the stock 11" coil, 15" swing coverage and 12" min of swing separation which will keep you from being able to use it in tight situations, obviously. The advantage is you will get 15" of swing coverage but at less weight than a 15" round coil.

There are other nuances to smaller vs. larger coils such as capturing fewer multiple targets under the coil for smaller coils giving you "cleaner" tones and VDI's due to less coil edge interference but they don't actually separate targets better based on size because the "active" coil region on a DD (unlike a coaxial/concentric) coil is right down the front-to-back center of the coil where the back of the two "D's" intersect. Target separation is primarily a detector vice coil driven attribuite determined by recovery speed.

HTH.

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
images0AK4ID4X.jpg

Truth, I'm glad VF could explain it, because all you'd have gotten from me would be... confused-and-unsure-smiley-emoticon.gif

"D"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth. Some basic info on the importance of round and elliptical DD coil dimensions.

Among other things, the primary attributes of coils that matter most are: depth, swing separation, swing coverage, and weight. To keep it simple, I am only referring to DD's here.

For round DD's, the depth and coverage are determined by the diameter of the coil.
Roughly, the effective depth for a round coil is approximately equal to its diameter give or take a few inches. So an 11" coil is typically effective from 9 to 13". The six inch coil roughly effective from 4 to 8" but there are many variables that can affect depth performance in a given situation.

An 11" round DD gives 11" of swing coverage and a 6" coil gives 6" of swing coverage or cuts a coverage swath 6" wide with every swing. That determines how efficiently you can cover the ground with each swing. Swing separation is a term I made up that simply illustrates that smaller diameter round coils give you greater ability to swing side-to-side in restricted areas such as in scrub brush, around corn stubble, or near man made obstacles such as fences and benches. Motion modes require swing motion to be able to pick up a target signal. So a 6" coil gives you more ability to detect a target near an obstacle than an 11" coil.

Eliiptical coils present a compromise to round coils as follows. The "long dimension" determines swing coverage and the "short dimension" roughly determines depth and swing separation.

Take the 10x5" coil example. That coil give a you 10" of swing coverage but depth performance similar but perhaps slightly better than a 5" round coil and swing separation similar to a 5" round coil with weight somewhere between a 5 and 10" round coil.

Similarly, those who are waiting for the ML Equinox 15x12" coil will get perhaps an additional inch or two of depth vs. the stock 11" coil, 15" swing coverage and 12" min of swing separation which will keep you from being able to use it in tight situations, obviously. The advantage is you will get 15" of swing coverage but at less weight than a 15" round coil.

There are other nuances to smaller vs. larger coils such as capturing fewer multiple targets under the coil for smaller coils giving you "cleaner" tones and VDI's due to less coil edge interference but they don't actually separate targets better based on size because the "active" coil region on a DD (unlike a coaxial/concentric) coil is right down the front-to-back center of the coil where the back of the two "D's" intersect. Target separation is primarily a detector vice coil driven attribuite determined by recovery speed.

HTH.

V you never disappoint with an answer. Always thorough and in my world basically brilliant. Lol

Thanks buddy for always educating

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Not sure what it is but since the update my 6” is killing it. It’s hitting deep and hard. Today I got a 8” silver quarter and a antique padlock at 10” and it’s like waving a broomstick the whole time. I’m lovin it.

Did use this coil in water? In my future plan the 6” coil use in iron infested swimming pools. I am courious it’s better than Deus HF coil.,

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my detector back from sick house testing it now
with 6" and it is killing those already gone over with 11''
finding loads of new stuff and it locks in so well now on good targets amongst iron falseing as you now can see the accurate depth difference and can tell there are good and bad in the same hole

using 2 tones with iron way down low sensitivity and high recovery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread