NOX 800 in Freshwater ?

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a new member of the group and recently got an Equinox 800. I haven't had it in the water yet and have spent most of my time getting used to it in Park 1, but suspect I will be using it primarily in freshwater lakes & ponds (swimming areas). What is everyone's favorite mode & settings given this scenario ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forum.

As far as Equinox is concerned, it is a very capable detector out of the box in ANY mode and at that mode's default settings. So while learning the detector and what it is trying to tell you about what is underneath it's coil, I recommend sticking with Park 1 and getting used to the detector without mode hopping or tweaking settings other than doing the noise cancel procedure and ground balancing as necessary.

That being said, in fresh water Park 1 if your focus is on high conductors (silver/clad coins, copper, and silver jewelry) Park 2/Field 2 if your focus is on mid conductors like nickels, relics, or gold jewelry. If you find 50 Tones overwhelming you can back off to 5 Tones.

Since you are not just limited to the optimal targets in the Park and Field modes (i.e., Park 1 though optimized for high conductors will still hit on gold just as Park/Field 2 will hit on silver/coins, though they are optimized for mid-conductive jewelry/relics, respectively), I would keep it simple and just go with Park 1 in the water if you feel comfortable playing around with it on land.

Beach modes compromise salt beach stability for a slight hit on depth, so no need to go to beach mode if fresh water hunting.

HTH.

Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park1 and field 2, F2 is great to get used to 50 tones in the water becuase usually less targets better seperation. Runs quiet and very stable while wading.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park1 and field 2, F2 is great to get used to 50 tones in the water becuase usually less targets better seperation. Runs quiet and very stable while wading.

I'm also a fan of Field 2 in fresh water due to the better stability. It's very smooth allowing me to crank the sens to 23-24 in less target rich areas.
You will of course have to lower sens when dealing with fresh water iron like in the shallows.

I hope you got a good scoop!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread