Nox 800 Update No Good - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Nox 800 Update No Good

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    I just don't need to bother. The old cat is getting OLD. I find plenty of stuff anytime I go, even in hunted out areas. My season will start up here pretty soon.

us
    Commodore Scotch

Mar 2010
    Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
    96 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I did some air tests prior to the roll back and I found that there is a break in the signal when any metal passes under the coil. I get a target hit, then a stutter, then another target hit. The two hits normally display another number and I was getting quarters from 19 to 29. Granted this is inside of a house so there may be some EM interference. I turned the sensitivity down to 10 for testing. Had the same stutter and similar results with a penny and dime.

Post roll back, the stutter is gone. A coin passed in the air below the coin gives a solid signal without the break. A quarter came in at 29-30. I even put it on the floor to see what it would register next to all the metal/nails in the floor and I got solid separation between nails and a very strong 29 on multiple passes. I am not in a position to test the pinpointing this evening but it appears that for my Nox at least, the original software is more stable than the update. Rolling back is as simple as running the updater and using the menu in the lower right hand corner. Took a few minutes and I feel it is back to where it was. I am planning another trip to the same beach soon so I can test it out. If a new update comes out between now and then I plan to air test after updating and to take my laptop with me to roll back on the beach if necessary.

I do not think anyone should use my experience as a reason not to get a Nox, just be aware that software updates can be finicky things sometimes. I didn't feel that my Nox *needed* an update as it was a very solid machine. I just wanted to share my experiences to add to the collective knowledge. I would personally say that if anyone installed the update and feels that their Nox is not as good as it was previously, load up the program and go to the menu on the lower right to roll back. Hopefully I will be able to update this thread with how it reacts at the beach in the next two weeks or so.
    sprailroad likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doggoneitdignit View Post
    Curious and maybe a stupid question does factory reset flush the firmware update back to the original firmware?
    The update utility lets you easily roll back to the original firmware so there is no risk to doing the update. If you don't like the new software then just roll back.

Factory reset just puts all programmable settings/customizations back to their default values.
    Last edited by vferrari; Sep 18, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3853 times
    Metal Detecting
    OP I wonder if you went back to stock then tried to update all over again. Free and only take 5 minutes to try?
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6626 times
    What I find interesting is that folks are lining up in two camps on the update - many love it and think it is a vast improvement while others hate it and think it degraded performance and want to go back. What I am not seeing is those that say it didn't make things better or worse.
    A2coins likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1325 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Trokair View Post
    Just wanted to post my experience for information. My Nox 800 was great the last time out at my beach. Coins were loud, clear, and stable. I was able to find targets in the sand without using pinpoint. I had a killer day with it.

I ran the update a few days before going back to the same beach without any problems but the results were rather terrible. I worked in Beach 1 in the dry sand and Beach 2 down by the tide line/wet sand, all stock settings as before and the Nox was a mess on targets.

Pennies were running 16-22, Quarters 20-30, nickles all the way down to 6. I even dropped a quarter directly on the sand and it still bounced 20 through 30. Last time out coins were within a tight window and now they are all over the scale. That is when they even get seen. The dropped quarter on the sand was very unsure if there was a target or not. It sounded like half of the signal was being canceled mid swing. Did the same thing on an air test with no interference. I spent better than five minutes digging up a matchbox car at 5 inches because of how uncertain the Nox was on where the target actually was. I probably dug 10 false signals on a very clean beach. I turned the sensitivity down to 15 where I was running 20-22 last time. Not that that was the issue. The background was incredibly stable but when there was a target there it was a mess of different signals. I ran a factory reset in the middle of the day to try to get the device right and that did nothing. I cycled through the programs and they were all like that. Tried adjusting swing speed, ground balance, noise cancel, all with no effect.

A quick search showed me that reverting the update should be very easy to do and I plan to do some air tests tonight and then roll it back. I am hoping to get the old functionality back. It was a really great detector and I took care to clean and stow the Nox last time so I don't think it is some kind of damage or anything like that. The only thing I can point to is this update. I am going to test, roll back, and test again to see if that was it and I will update the thread with my results.
    I noticed this also and posted about it last week... that is really not good news.
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    I noticed this also and posted about it last week... that is really not good news.
    Did you roll back then?
    A2coins likes this.

V is right it seems to be the oatmeal is just right or just wrong. Nothing in between.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2974 times
    I did say in another thread that the update did not "seem" to make any real difference for me, and wondered if it was just a little bit better beforehand. I did un-do the update, then reinstalled it, and went out to a trashy area yesterday with the 6" coil, seemed to do just fine, but really fella's I did not, and have not seen any noticeable difference as though it were a big deal. I also did not have a noticeable difference in going from good to less than good as others have. Speaking only for me, I wonder if I should leave well enough alone and not concern myself with an up-date. I've never had a detector before that had or could do that, and did just fine with them for whatever kind they were. I don't know, COULD this be a thing like when some EQ's had a wobble in the shaft, while others did not? I'm sure not, but you get my meaning. IF it's a 50/50 thing right now, I will continue to watch this thread, and MAY just exit AG (after up grade), and return to BG (before up grade).****Just a quick edit fella's (my post here is becoming way to long), before the up grade, I clearly remember that I was surprised by a number of dimes found "on edge", and I knew that because by cutting a plug, I could see the dimes stuck in the side wall of the hole, straight up and down, and thinking wow, this is really pretty neat. After up grade, only one so far, but in fairness, I am certain it's only because I have not come across any others. One thing of interest though, at home I stuck a silver dime in the ground (on top) straight up & down, and I had the 6" coil on, it hit on the dime in one direction only, which was to be expected, but what surprised me was that in "pin pointing" the center was not where the shaft meets the coil, but where the cable plug enters the coil instead, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches to the right, time after time, flatten the coin, and the pin point was right in the center again, where shaft meets coil. weird.
    Last edited by sprailroad; Sep 19, 2018 at 08:02 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6626 times
    Off center pinpoint is typical of an edge-on target before and after the update.

I have not had a chance to get any run time on the update so can't form a definitive position on it performance wise. What I do know is that the bug that erases all your custom settings if you shut down the detector from User Profile mode is fixed and a test I ran before and after update of getting a solid signal on edge-on stacked quarters (I know, a quirky unrealistic scenario) but interesting because before update Multi IQ gave a VDI of anything but a quarter in every direction and after upgrade Incoukd get a Quarter VDI in one direction.
    Will post back with my opinion after getting some run time in real life detecting scenarios .
    Possum, sprailroad and Acejeckel like this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1325 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, I went out and checked my test bed again now that the rain has subsided for a day. Numbers were closer to what was expected.

I laid some fresh clad down on the ground and all numbers were spot on and solid.

So at this point I'm thinking the update is just fine. It's likely corrosion happening in my test bed that is causing the numbers to drift.

If I can get some time, I'll go back to the old firmware and compare.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Commodore Scotch

Mar 2010
    Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
    96 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    OP I wonder if you went back to stock then tried to update all over again. Free and only take 5 minutes to try?
    I may give that a go if I have some time. Honestly if it is back to stock then I will be thrilled.

us
    Mar 2008
    Glen Mills,PA
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
    82 times
    I also updated my Nox800 and while at the beach this past weekend I also ran into some problems with the ID numbers jumping around and in all metal mode a clad quarter was sounding like iron when I swept the coil behind it. But I was able to find two rings one 10K gold and a Titanium band and a bangle bracelet and some clad. Some junk tarkets were max on depth scale but dug down TWO feet to find a can or a tire chrome rim.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2974 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Off center pinpoint is typical of an edge-on target before and after the update.

I have not had a chance to get any run time on the update so can't form a definitive position on it performance wise. What I do know is that the bug that erases all your custom settings if you shut down the detector from User Profile mode is fixed and a test I ran before and after update of getting a solid signal on edge-on stacked quarters (I know, a quirky unrealistic scenario) but interesting because before update Multi IQ gave a VDI of anything but a quarter in every direction and after upgrade Incoukd get a Quarter VDI in one direction.
    Will post back with my opinion after getting some run time in real life detecting scenarios .
    OK then, makes sense, I say that because the only reason I know the dimes were on edge, is that after cutting the plug, I could see the dimes right in the side wall of my hole right where the digging knife had sliced, which was about 2" or so off my pinpoint center. Problem? of course not, just a interesting little piece of infro. to add to my remaining few brain cells. All is good. By the way, I did "un-load" the update, then reinstalled it, everything seems just dandy.
    Last edited by sprailroad; Sep 20, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    431 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Me like update.

Here is nox 800 old software vs nox 800 with new software...

nagant, sprailroad and chub like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links