Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess what? Multifrequency is hard.

There is a reason ML did nothing truly new since the first ML multifreakers, until the NOx. It’s really, really difficult.

There is a reason Fisher never has fielded a multifreaker successor to the CZ series - same problem...

There is a reason XP doesn’t have a multifreaker, likewise Nokia/Makro/whatever they call it next...

There is a reason that Whites V3i was so powerful and flexible, but somehow still not quite right....

IT’S DANGED HARD. Now, besides the difficult problems of signal processing, there are the mysteries of programs with the s of thousands of lines of code and making changes to them - especially if they weren’t well documented.

The easy stuff was done decades ago.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess what? Multifrequency is hard.

There is a reason ML did nothing truly new since the first ML multifreakers, until the NOx. It’s really, really difficult.

There is a reason Fisher never has fielded a multifreaker successor to the CZ series - same problem...

There is a reason XP doesn’t have a multifreaker, likewise Nokia/Makro/whatever they call it next...

There is a reason that Whites V3i was so powerful and flexible, but somehow still not quite right....

IT’S DANGED HARD. Now, besides the difficult problems of signal processing, there are the mysteries of programs with the s of thousands of lines of code and making changes to them - especially if they weren’t well documented.

The easy stuff was done decades ago.

A few months and Nokta/Makro will offer a multifreaker.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Rick K that an update on a multi frequency equinox will be more complex than an update on a single frequency or changeable frequency like the deus. It’s Ok Uninstall the update if you feel it worked better than after the update. It’s ok to compare and decide later after using it for more time. I don’t think it will be all that long before another upgrade is issued. I love the fact that the equinox is likely to improve over time.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I installed the update on my 800 this weekend, worked like a charm. Dug several deep high conductive targets in our nasty pacific NW soil and the soil is still bone dry.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am having major issues with my Equinox since the update. My pinpoint is way off now and the numbers are off too. I am going to look for the old software and go back to it. I don't like the update and it has made my detector act up. Anyone else having pinpoint issues?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am having major issues with my Equinox since the update. My pinpoint is way off now and the numbers are off too. I am going to look for the old software and go back to it. I don't like the update and it has made my detector act up. Anyone else having pinpoint issues?

Pinpoint on low conductors seems off for me. High conductors are spot on.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You don't have to look for it, it's part of the update package. Click on the three dots in the lower right hand side of the update box that says you have the latest software and then you will be given the choice if rolling it back.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to post my experience for information. My Nox 800 was great the last time out at my beach. Coins were loud, clear, and stable. I was able to find targets in the sand without using pinpoint. I had a killer day with it.

I ran the update a few days before going back to the same beach without any problems but the results were rather terrible. I worked in Beach 1 in the dry sand and Beach 2 down by the tide line/wet sand, all stock settings as before and the Nox was a mess on targets.

Pennies were running 16-22, Quarters 20-30, nickles all the way down to 6. I even dropped a quarter directly on the sand and it still bounced 20 through 30. Last time out coins were within a tight window and now they are all over the scale. That is when they even get seen. The dropped quarter on the sand was very unsure if there was a target or not. It sounded like half of the signal was being canceled mid swing. Did the same thing on an air test with no interference. I spent better than five minutes digging up a matchbox car at 5 inches because of how uncertain the Nox was on where the target actually was. I probably dug 10 false signals on a very clean beach. I turned the sensitivity down to 15 where I was running 20-22 last time. Not that that was the issue. The background was incredibly stable but when there was a target there it was a mess of different signals. I ran a factory reset in the middle of the day to try to get the device right and that did nothing. I cycled through the programs and they were all like that. Tried adjusting swing speed, ground balance, noise cancel, all with no effect.

A quick search showed me that reverting the update should be very easy to do and I plan to do some air tests tonight and then roll it back. I am hoping to get the old functionality back. It was a really great detector and I took care to clean and stow the Nox last time so I don't think it is some kind of damage or anything like that. The only thing I can point to is this update. I am going to test, roll back, and test again to see if that was it and I will update the thread with my results.

Thank you for posting this and doing tests before and after update, and am considering rolling back just to test the old performance on 6" coil in iron.

I experienced twice unusual VDI readings like you described, the first time I had quarters reading in the teens to to single digits was after rain and dirt got in between my coil and removable cover, I cleaned it and it worked fine again, I now clean after every hunt especially if mucky or sandy situations

second time I have a ground balance issue with machine and had to send it back to ML

otherwise except for increased falsing on iron especially with 6" coil, I found my machine running crisp and cleaner with 11" in the woods

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I rolled back to the old version of the software and went detecting. I had not been finding much since the upgrade.

Yesterday the nox was more stable. I had a lot more clad finds and found three rings, a chain and a 22k Turkish Moore gold coin.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here slider, stable and can pick through the trash again. Found a nickle and 2 penny's in my trash laden yard i use to keep my ear in the game. this was in field 2 all metal factory settings. I will try the new version again later. Wonder if a factory reset before upgrade makes a difference.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Same here slider, stable and can pick through the trash again. Found a nickle and 2 penny's in my trash laden yard i use to keep my ear in the game. this was in field 2 all metal factory settings. I will try the new version again later. Wonder if a factory reset before upgrade makes a difference.

Great question. I did not do a factory reset. I am going to stay with the first software. I definitely found more with the first software. I am going detecting tomorrow again and will see how I do tomorrow.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...my father got the update and 2 days ago found his first gold ring.

22ct.

Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to roll back the update too. I just preferred the TID more in ver. 1.5.
As long as i hear a good repeatable tone on at leat 2 turns and the numbers are 1 or above....i dig it.

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a way...we are all being spoilt by Minelab...which is a rare and good thing.

Like a lot of manufacturers, they could have just put the Equinox out with the initial firmware it was shipped with and thats it.

But, at least they are reading the forums and watching the youtube videos and IMHO are are actually listening to customers and pushing out updates to try and help out.

This is a very good thing.

Especially giving us all the simplicity of being able to roll back to a previous software/firmware update if some of us don't like it.

I personally think this is only the start of goid times ahead...coz in 12 months times....there will probably be a few more updates and users can roll back/update to whatever version they prefer suits them best.

Kudos to Minelab.

Matt.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rolled the update back after losing confidence with the new one. I dug only one single falsing nail this weekend with the stock program vs. dozens with the update. Also, my pinpointing was back to being dead center under coil and the tones seemed to have more character. For example, brass bullet shells had "softer" tones and were easy to distinguish from other targets with the same VID range. With the update, the shells were crisp, like most everything else, and impossible to distinguish from other targets in the same VID. I think maybe this crisp lock-on with the update initially gave me a false sense that is was somehow better because everything sounded so good. For the time being, the stock software definitely seems a better option for me. I think it is a good idea for others to roll back and test it yourself. Maybe you go back to the update, maybe you don't.

Voldetector

Sep 21, 2018
TN
Detector(s) used
F75+, NOX600, BHLRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has done excellent, at the beach and on land with the update. Something doesnt seem right on your machine. You can always go back to the previous software as I'm sure it's been mentioned. Also I can trust my depth meter more now. Jist my 2cents on the update. Hope you fig it out.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rolled the update back after losing confidence with the new one. I dug only one single falsing nail this weekend with the stock program vs. dozens with the update. Also, my pinpointing was back to being dead center under coil and the tones seemed to have more character. For example, brass bullet shells had "softer" tones and were easy to distinguish from other targets with the same VID range. With the update, the shells were crisp, like most everything else, and impossible to distinguish from other targets in the same VID. I think maybe this crisp lock-on with the update initially gave me a false sense that is was somehow better because everything sounded so good. For the time being, the stock software definitely seems a better option for me. I think it is a good idea for others to roll back and test it yourself. Maybe you go back to the update, maybe you don't.

I have done the same thing, I went back to the 1.5, somehow, It seems to be doing better, can't explain it, just SEEMS to be. I'll run it this way for awhile, paying more attention, and at a later date, "re-upgrade", and run again paying more attention, then decide what SEEMS to work best for me.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also lost confidence in the update and have rolled back.

My father however, who is on the update found his first ever gold ring... 22ct..and is staying on the update.

Matt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread