Nox 800 Update No Good - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Nox 800 Update No Good

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3857 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's a very strange thing with my experience so far. I originally thought I was a little rusty and not pinpointing correctly since I went about a week without detecting (rare for me). Got back into the groove and there seems to be an issue with pinpointing nickels for me. High conductors are spot on and everything is good. My nickels lately are mostly in the sidewall. It's odd. Not a deal breaker but I'm picky about efficiency and moving quickly. Really don't want to be hacking and searching in the sidewall. Still finding silver in the pounded parks though. Really can't complain.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    432 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I just dig everything repeatable and stable through a 360 degree turn.

8/10 times its a good target.

Matt.
    smokeythecat likes this.

Staffydog 33 nailed it. Get picky, lose out.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / XP ORX / MI-6 /
    7516 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trokair View Post
    Just wanted to post my experience for information. My Nox 800 was great the last time out at my beach. Coins were loud, clear, and stable. I was able to find targets in the sand without using pinpoint. I had a killer day with it.

I ran the update a few days before going back to the same beach without any problems but the results were rather terrible. I worked in Beach 1 in the dry sand and Beach 2 down by the tide line/wet sand, all stock settings as before and the Nox was a mess on targets.

Pennies were running 16-22, Quarters 20-30, nickles all the way down to 6. I even dropped a quarter directly on the sand and it still bounced 20 through 30. Last time out coins were within a tight window and now they are all over the scale. That is when they even get seen. The dropped quarter on the sand was very unsure if there was a target or not. It sounded like half of the signal was being canceled mid swing. Did the same thing on an air test with no interference. I spent better than five minutes digging up a matchbox car at 5 inches because of how uncertain the Nox was on where the target actually was. I probably dug 10 false signals on a very clean beach. I turned the sensitivity down to 15 where I was running 20-22 last time. Not that that was the issue. The background was incredibly stable but when there was a target there it was a mess of different signals. I ran a factory reset in the middle of the day to try to get the device right and that did nothing. I cycled through the programs and they were all like that. Tried adjusting swing speed, ground balance, noise cancel, all with no effect.

A quick search showed me that reverting the update should be very easy to do and I plan to do some air tests tonight and then roll it back. I am hoping to get the old functionality back. It was a really great detector and I took care to clean and stow the Nox last time so I don't think it is some kind of damage or anything like that. The only thing I can point to is this update. I am going to test, roll back, and test again to see if that was it and I will update the thread with my results.
    I went to the beach today and what you posted above was the exact result I had after the update. I found 1 Nickel, 1 Quarter, 1 Dime and a zinc penny. I found a ton of beer caps and pull tabs. With the confusing signals, I think i'll return to the original operating system. Did you roll it back yet?

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

ca
    Steve

Jan 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft. Equinox 600
    97 times
    Both mine and the wife's 600 will also be getting rolled back, our last 2 trip to the Atlantic beaches were frustrating, false signals, in beach 1 and 2, and pinpoint way off, and wading in, up to the control box even with the sensitivity down to 16, it was acting like an at pro.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3857 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Staffydog 33 nailed it. Get picky, lose out.
    How is your experience with the new update? I thought you unloaded your 600?

dk
    Jan

Dec 2014
    Minelab 705
    241 times
    Metal Detecting
    My experience with the update is. Before update I could use field 1 and 2, on my roman field. But I would get good tones when I hit iron at the edge of the coil, and that irritated me. I had to stop and check the target out every time, I only use pinpoint on deep targets. The pinpoint was way off, sometimes pinpointing at the edge of the coil, not in the middle. So I tried park 1, at my roman field, and it was quiet as a church mouse and felt really good and stable, and wasn't reacting to iron as field 1 and 2.
    Well then I ran the update, now I can't use park 1 or 2, and field 1 and 2. Because the detector react to almost every stone in the area, the ground in Denmark isn't that hot, but it's like the detector is way to sensitive now. I hunt in stock mode most of the time. Hope this make sense to you guys, it's easy for me to explain it in Danish but a bit hard for me in English. I will role back the update as fast as possible.
    Wiganer and dirtlooter like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12588 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    So, from what I am reading, if you previously had problems or issues with various things with the EQ, the update probably helped in at least some of those areas. my 600 occasionally pinpoints very quietly or faintly but then is loud the next time (shallow or deep targets). The update may correct this or at least I hope so. The fact that you are able to uninstall it so easily is very nice. at this point, it may be a while before I get to use my machine again. it is amazing that there is so many variations of problems within a product and yet some performing just fine. so is it a component or a glitch? I guess one has to do the upgrade and then compare what is gained and or lost to decide what their machine actually performs best with.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

May 2017
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yes even more reasons to be glad I bought the Deus!
    basstrackerman and A2coins like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7455 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by rx8driver View Post
    Yes even more reasons to be glad I bought the Deus!
    Like they didn't have problems with upgrades.....
    A2coins likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok so at this point I can only assume they resolved some issues with the firmware but in doing so target id ranges have changed. This may not be a bad thing, it may just mean re-learning the ID ranges.
    A2coins likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    640 times
    Guess what? Multifrequency is hard.

There is a reason ML did nothing truly new since the first ML multifreakers, until the NOx. It’s really, really difficult.

There is a reason Fisher never has fielded a multifreaker successor to the CZ series - same problem...

There is a reason XP doesn’t have a multifreaker, likewise Nokia/Makro/whatever they call it next...

There is a reason that Whites V3i was so powerful and flexible, but somehow still not quite right....

IT’S DANGED HARD. Now, besides the difficult problems of signal processing, there are the mysteries of programs with the s of thousands of lines of code and making changes to them - especially if they weren’t well documented.

The easy stuff was done decades ago.
    A2coins likes this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    3857 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    Guess what? Multifrequency is hard.

There is a reason ML did nothing truly new since the first ML multifreakers, until the NOx. It’s really, really difficult.

There is a reason Fisher never has fielded a multifreaker successor to the CZ series - same problem...

There is a reason XP doesn’t have a multifreaker, likewise Nokia/Makro/whatever they call it next...

There is a reason that Whites V3i was so powerful and flexible, but somehow still not quite right....

IT’S DANGED HARD. Now, besides the difficult problems of signal processing, there are the mysteries of programs with the s of thousands of lines of code and making changes to them - especially if they weren’t well documented.

The easy stuff was done decades ago.
    A few months and Nokta/Makro will offer a multifreaker.
    Jacza and A2coins like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1004 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    I agree with Rick K that an update on a multi frequency equinox will be more complex than an update on a single frequency or changeable frequency like the deus. Itís Ok Uninstall the update if you feel it worked better than after the update. Itís ok to compare and decide later after using it for more time. I donít think it will be all that long before another upgrade is issued. I love the fact that the equinox is likely to improve over time.

Nov 2015
    304 times
    I installed the update on my 800 this weekend, worked like a charm. Dug several deep high conductive targets in our nasty pacific NW soil and the soil is still bone dry.
    Ironfeathers likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links