Nox 800 Update No Good
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Nox 800 Update No Good

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Commodore Scotch

Mar 2010
    Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
    96 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nox 800 Update No Good

Just wanted to post my experience for information. My Nox 800 was great the last time out at my beach. Coins were loud, clear, and stable. I was able to find targets in the sand without using pinpoint. I had a killer day with it.

I ran the update a few days before going back to the same beach without any problems but the results were rather terrible. I worked in Beach 1 in the dry sand and Beach 2 down by the tide line/wet sand, all stock settings as before and the Nox was a mess on targets.

Pennies were running 16-22, Quarters 20-30, nickles all the way down to 6. I even dropped a quarter directly on the sand and it still bounced 20 through 30. Last time out coins were within a tight window and now they are all over the scale. That is when they even get seen. The dropped quarter on the sand was very unsure if there was a target or not. It sounded like half of the signal was being canceled mid swing. Did the same thing on an air test with no interference. I spent better than five minutes digging up a matchbox car at 5 inches because of how uncertain the Nox was on where the target actually was. I probably dug 10 false signals on a very clean beach. I turned the sensitivity down to 15 where I was running 20-22 last time. Not that that was the issue. The background was incredibly stable but when there was a target there it was a mess of different signals. I ran a factory reset in the middle of the day to try to get the device right and that did nothing. I cycled through the programs and they were all like that. Tried adjusting swing speed, ground balance, noise cancel, all with no effect.

A quick search showed me that reverting the update should be very easy to do and I plan to do some air tests tonight and then roll it back. I am hoping to get the old functionality back. It was a really great detector and I took care to clean and stow the Nox last time so I don't think it is some kind of damage or anything like that. The only thing I can point to is this update. I am going to test, roll back, and test again to see if that was it and I will update the thread with my results.
    RustyGold, sprailroad and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    1327 times
    Very interesting... That may answer some questions I didn't know I had. Like why the only silver coin I found Sat sounded so terrible and rang in at 18 Targets all sounded like they were in with iron and were bouncy unclean signals. Hmm that would suck if the update were a downgrade in performance. Keep us posted. I may do some preliminary air tests. I am running the 600 myself.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Norman, OK
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
    905 times
    Metal Detecting
    Strange, Trokair. Sorry you had such bad results. I've only hunted with it for a short while since the update, but my results were the opposite of yours -- very good, with a few minor improvements noted, at least so far.

Something doesn't sound right...

Steve
    Possum and Agent Green like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    TreasureTerrain.com
    NOX 800
    299 times
    I would have to see the 6 on a nickle mine rang 13 all day long.
    If you are getting a 6 something else would have to be in the ground besides the nickle.
    Last edited by GreenMeanie; Sep 17, 2018 at 07:02 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / XP ORX / MI-6 /
    7453 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I didn’t think the update improved TID for me either. I’ll use it a few more times and may roll it back myself.
    sprailroad likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2972 times
    Well, I feel ALITTLE vindicated here. I somehow also felt that things were slightly better before the upgrade? On Truth's thread, "Has anyone seen a difference since updating?" on Sept 8th, I did state that I was not so sure that it was, I did add that perhaps it was just me, and not the machine or the update itself, "Staffydog" was sure it was "just me". Perhaps not?
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18301 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I've not updated my 800 yet, perhaps lazy or just waiting to see the results of others. Mine works fine as is.

I'd say Minelab will introduce a 2nd update?
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Sep 18, 2018 at 07:35 AM.
    sprailroad and RustyGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    dirt sniffer

Apr 2017
    iowa
    Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
    503 times
    My situation is crowns are ringing 13 and ive haven't dug a nickle since i loaded 10.4. Also extremely sensitive to EMI and pinpoint sounds off in the air at times. Did a factory reset again and will test again.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    My situation is crowns are ringing 13 and ive haven't dug a nickle since i loaded 10.4. Also extremely sensitive to EMI and pinpoint sounds off in the air at times. Did a factory reset again and will test again.
    10.4?
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2056 times
    Sounds like you have a bad unit, you should trade with me for my used F75.........lol. Wish I could afford one, but have to just settle with my Etrac.

ca
    Oct 2016
    Canadian Eh
    Current:T2, Compadre, Vaquero, and 300i. Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
    310 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just like what I experience with MS updates. Maybe why I may wait and read more on the forumns before purchasing. Again why I like analog vs digital, not always good to update unless your forced too.
    RustyGold and treasuresalvor like this.

ca
    Oct 2016
    Canadian Eh
    Current:T2, Compadre, Vaquero, and 300i. Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
    310 times
    Metal Detecting
    Curious and maybe a stupid question does factory reset flush the firmware update back to the original firmware?

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    8997 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Dug a deep Buffalo the other day. VDI 11-12-13 just like before update. Really dont notice any difference on anything so far
    Favorite finds
    Colonial Silver Pomander-Cut Pine Tree Shilling-Louis XIV 4 Sols-13 Spanish Cobs-17th century buckles-Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink-1827 & 1831 Mexico 1 reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-1853 O Gold $1-52 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-6 Gold Rings

Not all updates are created equal. I can't tell what's going on, but if the old version worked better for you, I'd either revert to the old version or reload the new one. It may be the new version of turning the aluminum foil on the old TV antennae for better reception.

I have a Deus and have not and probably will not upgrade it. It works just fine like it is.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Sep 19, 2018 at 05:15 AM.
    nagant, sprailroad and Possum like this.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    8997 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Not all updates are created equal. I can't tell what's going on, but if the old version worked better for you, I'd either revert to the old version or reload the new one. It may be the new version of turning the aluminum foil on the old TV antennae for better reception.

I have a Deus as have not and probably will not upgrade it. It works just fine like it is.
    Im am so tuned in with full tones zero disc on my deus that I will likely never update from v3.2.
    Indiana Mark likes this.
    Favorite finds
    Colonial Silver Pomander-Cut Pine Tree Shilling-Louis XIV 4 Sols-13 Spanish Cobs-17th century buckles-Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink-1827 & 1831 Mexico 1 reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-1853 O Gold $1-52 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-6 Gold Rings

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links