Is field 2 or much for 6" COIL in Heavy Iron,, I am getting serious falseing,

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I noticed that on videos too, that you had to be basically touching the object to get the disc tone. My Garret's on the fritz, so time for something new anyways.

Bummer. Not sure I will keep it in the long run. I dunno. I went from digging 1 or 2 nails per hunt with the stock to ~25% nails with the 6". It's almost absurd, really, but I love the weight, balance, and depth.

The other new annoyance of the 6" is that it hits certain hot rocks as good high tones at my salt beaches. GB or not. Luckily they have a very short/crisp tone so I can usually tell. But it slows me down. Stock coil never did that.

It's almost like the 6" coil needs its own dedicated program, tailored for its size. Not sure that would ever happen, but maybe another update will resolve the crazy falsing.

I have not had a chance to test the 6" coil in a nasty situation yet. I also have not had the chance to a side-by-side comparison of before/after update performance with either coil.

As far as the 6" is concerned, I think it has its uses in tight spots, and I have used it successfully in those sitiuations. But, yeah, I would like to see it unmask in thick iron but also not false all over the place either.

I do think ML will continue to tweak the SW further and may focus on some tweaks that will mitigate small coil falsing. I think ML will continue to support with future updates. This update did fix a known interface bug that truly annoying (loss of custom settings when shutting down from the user profile mode) so I am not inclined to roll back and I know it fixed edge-on high conductor performance, but at what cost. I am hearing a lot of complaints now about pull tabs now converging on TDI 13 (nickels) whereas they used to scatter around 13 (typically 12, 14, or 15) so you had pretty good confidence 13 was a nickel. Something seems to have happened with mid conductor performance, or at least IDs and who knows if that is a result of the edge-on silver fix. I really was not a fan of tweaking the software to fix an a really rare situation because of other potential unintended consequences to more mainstream performance attributes. Now here we are.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put, V. My experience with detectors and the way they work is that, if you "improve" one detail, another detail usually suffers. It's a push-pull interaction between all parameters and the rules of mathematics. I am certainly willing to give it time and have faith that ML will find a good balance in their software. Regardless, the Nox is giving me the best year of my detecting career, and for that I am a very grateful and happy user.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put, V. My experience with detectors and the way they work is that, if you "improve" one detail, another detail usually suffers. It's a push-pull interaction between all parameters and the rules of mathematics. I am certainly willing to give it time and have faith that ML will find a good balance in their software. Regardless, the Nox is giving me the best year of my detecting career, and for that I am a very grateful and happy user.

Same here frankly. Some amazing bucket listers with the Equinox this year for me.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , sold my 6 inch coil. Gonna try another brand with a small coil to fit that part of my detecting. Thought I had it covered with the Nox 11 ,6 and Deus 9 hf coils but the 6 was disappointment .

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a love/hate relationship with the 6" coil at the moment. I love that it is a deep laser beam, but hate that my nails have increased dramatically. I've tried to mitigate this with iron bias, sens, balance, and all other settings, but there's just no way around it. I'm being very picky too, but these are solid, consistent, repeatable VIDS in all directions... I've had my Nox since February and use it regularly, so I know my machine very well. It's enough of an annoyance that I am replacing my ProPointer with a Profind 35 in hopes of taking advantage of the pinpointer's iron disc. Otherwise, curious to hear other's experiences in regards to the 6" and nails.

I have the current update and only used the 6" once pre-update, and didn't dig any nails on that pre-update outing. I'm wondering if the update has made the 6" a nail magnet. The weird thing is that the nails I'm digging aren't just your typical falsing nails (bent 90's, square head, etc). They are ALL types including small 1" straight pieces. I am mostly a park1 one hunter, but have tested it across all park/field modes.

having exact same experience

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it worked cleaner on nail sites before update
I had a great time and found items on a site I over hunted with 11”

Now after update when I take it to similar sites 90% good 2 way signals nails and tiny iron fragments

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A really big issue with the signals produced by those repeatable high tones from nails is that those are also where many colonial coppers and even spanish silver vdi's will beep. When I hunt for "modern" silver it's not a big issue. Those zinc numbers I pass on but at an old spot I can't let those signals stay in the ground!

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the same issues . The update helped some areas like tones, depth meter, pinpoint mostly but it's not near as good in iron as it was.. the last week I did some testing with a buddy and wow I dug alot of amazing sounding nails. Solid tones both ways. Most were side by side with deus with deus calling all of them iron.the one exception was the equinox hit on what was thought to be another bent nail or small straight nail like all the rest, but instead while running Deus over target got a solid 91-92 and it was a wheaty.. also my nickel Id is off or beaver tail id is off lol. Also some dimes and memorial pennies are hitting as high as 39.. mostly 35-38 with flashes of 39. Dug a 1964 silver quarter the other day that had numbers from 38 to -4 and did not sound very good but I checked it with buddies deus and was a solid unchanging 97 with a sweet tone.. so I'm not sure what is going on but I will be swinging my deus again til something changes...

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the same issues . The update helped some areas like tones, depth meter, pinpoint mostly but it's not near as good in iron as it was.. the last week I did some testing with a buddy and wow I dug alot of amazing sounding nails. Solid tones both ways. Most were side by side with deus with deus calling all of them iron.the one exception was the equinox hit on what was thought to be another bent nail or small straight nail like all the rest, but instead while running Deus over target got a solid 91-92 and it was a wheaty.. also my nickel Id is off or beaver tail id is off lol. Also some dimes and memorial pennies are hitting as high as 39.. mostly 35-38 with flashes of 39. Dug a 1964 silver quarter the other day that had numbers from 38 to -4 and did not sound very good but I checked it with buddies deus and was a solid unchanging 97 with a sweet tone.. so I'm not sure what is going on but I will be swinging my deus again til something changes...

Are you using the 6" or was this with the stock?

I am also getting copper pennies that ring high in the 30's (with both coils). In fact, it's been a while since I've seen a copper penny ring in the 24 range.

To be honest, I am probably going to roll the update back. I was doing just fine pre-update and had great confidence. My confidence has waned in the last couple weeks and that's not a good feeling when you're detecting.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is using stock 11" coil. I did not use the nox much before the update due to being so chatty. No matter where I took it the chatter was crazy.. the update did help that although it's still not as quiet as my deus with new x35 coils. Maybe another update with some adjustments will come out soon. ;)

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would make a good comparison video

go over iron bed at colonial site with 6" before and after downloading Firmware update, to show the differences/ improvements etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread