Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting serious falseing,,
and just wondering is field 2 the best seeing to coin shoot in heavy iron cellar hole site

I get a strong steady sound and similar vdi when I swing in two directions, and even relatively Solid when I test at 5-10 KHZ

when I dig 2 things happen

1. its a small nail fragment, nail, or large iron

2. strong signal steady vdi with numbers remaining same in two directions, I dig and it completely
disappears off the planet

I am running the following

6" COIL
Field 2
All metal mode on
2 tone
ferrous set to 2
sensitivity 15-18
recovery 7/8
IRon bias 1/2

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please rephrase or explain in detail "strong steady sound"

Sounds like maybe a ground balancing issue.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure Thanks for trying to help

when I focus in on target amongst iron, the tone is solid, and not too much fluctuation in length of signal and
no iron grunt or very little and vdi number positive showing no minus and in within a 4 number range like 8,9,10
or 21, 22, 24,
machine I ground balance and noise cancel at the beginning, as I am in a 40 x 40' area, I keep ground balance tracking off as the machine can get delayed up dating from one heavy iron signal to next (advice from Derek McLennan video)

now bear in mind this is with a brand new pod that just got replaced by minelab and 2 days out so far

I am thinking maybe park 1 or field 1 might be better?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks.....not sure who Dereck is but i can promise you i have had no problems using tracking GB in iron ridden cellar holes....so if i were you id switch to tracking GB, 5 tones and run park 2. Nail falsing with the NOX is a fact of life....i would also not recommend coin shooting around cellar holes....you could be leaving God only knows behind (gold in particular). I found an 1846 $ 2.5 gold dollar love token at a cellar hole...which rang up as aluminium. But if you insist on coin shooting, when you get a high tone sweeping....a coin tone should lock in with the slightest wiggle of the coil....i mean 1/2 to 1" back and forth......also smash your plug with your foot and rescan the dirt before filling the hole back in.....found a few keepers this way as well

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you
I will try your advice, sorry to mislead previously, I am searching for anything good relics , coins,

why would you recommend park 2 rather than Field 2?

also I assumed using 2 tone (British Winkeling program p-49 Clive Clynick book), would help cut down on iron chatter and Falses
but as I have learnt the grouping of many various tones into one good tone actually makes falses more prominent and convincing.?

Clive advised higher sensitivity but I choose to lower that to prevent Falses, and he also advises single frequency test which I did not try

the is disappearing good signal happened 5 times over past 2 days and its a shocker and heart breaker, as I was extra careful to do all pre dig testing and signal/VDI remained strong and consistent, open it up and nothing, just some faint iron grunt if anything,
it must just have been junk falses and when opened detector could recognize it as what it really was?

Here is Derek McLennan video, it was posted on this forum a few days ago
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cF-1Cz_sdZU

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 2, to me, seems to do better in high trash areas, if you like running 2 tones I would not do so in all metal mode - it kinda defeats the purpose of using 2 tones. Lower sensitivity makes sense to me as well (to cut down on falsing).

I'm thinking tracking GB will help you with your disappearing targets......

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had some recent luck with Field 2 around cellar holes “tone hunting”. Set up is similar to yours except 5 tone and I prefer mid speed recovery to really fast. When I go to fast recovery around cellar holes I simply get too many signals for my brain to process and they come at you like a machine gun, slowing down recovery seems to give the target tones a chance to lock in with your swing. Good luck!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Field 2, 50 tones, recovery 3(same as 6 on nox 800), iron bias 1, sensitivity around 20. Pretty much the stock field 2 program on my nox 600 is all I have ever used when hunting land. I usually run all metal though as I believe it helps decide if falsing vs non ferrous target. Im a big fan of full tones zero disc on my XP Deus as well

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
DFX, GQA2, (2) 'Cuda, Excal, (1 & 2) Sov. Elite, CZ20, Surf Dual Field...
Heavy Iron Work

Tony this is the kind of thing Im working on too . Had mine out at a site that's full of iron but produces the occaisional Victorian coin. The Winkeling program is better with the tones inverted and I like it quite a bit but the same falsing tells apply as with any detector. Check your signals in Pinpoint. This is how to tell the spikes--wide / narrow.
I did a video a while back showing F2 hitting gold right under two crossed spikes and this has prompted me to use it as a template for some TB type methods of hearing coins in iron. In the conditons I tried it in a very slow sweep speed was needed to bring up anything. These kinds of conditions are all about trial and error--testing different Gain, Bias and Rec Spd settings. As for single Fq--the low weightings are too slow for this kind of thing you are better with multi. Also try zero bias --some of the guys are getting good results this way.
good luck, clive

I am getting serious falseing,,
and just wondering is field 2 the best seeing to coin shoot in heavy iron cellar hole site

I get a strong steady sound and similar vdi when I swing in two directions, and even relatively Solid when I test at 5-10 KHZ

when I dig 2 things happen

1. its a small nail fragment, nail, or large iron

2. strong signal steady vdi with numbers remaining same in two directions, I dig and it completely
disappears off the planet

I am running the following

6" COIL
Field 2
All metal mode on
2 tone
ferrous set to 2
sensitivity 15-18
recovery 7/8
IRon bias 1/2

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had some recent luck with Field 2 around cellar holes “tone hunting”. Set up is similar to yours except 5 tone and I prefer mid speed recovery to really fast. When I go to fast recovery around cellar holes I simply get too many signals for my brain to process and they come at you like a machine gun, slowing down recovery seems to give the target tones a chance to lock in with your swing. Good luck!

Thank you I think going slow with 5 tones and 5 recovery speed is worth a try

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field 2, 50 tones, recovery 3(same as 6 on nox 800), iron bias 1, sensitivity around 20. Pretty much the stock field 2 program on my nox 600 is all I have ever used when hunting land. I usually run all metal though as I believe it helps decide if falsing vs non ferrous target. Im a big fan of full tones zero disc on my XP Deus as well

Thank you
I have yet to venture into the cocktail of sounds from 590 tones, going start practicing on my test garden period to seller holes

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Clive,
i am going to try it in the Inverted so low tone on good metal?

I have yet to add the pinpointing to my inventory and I will from tomorrow onwards

I think trial and error on each site isa must and using different modes on the one site on different visits is a good exercise

what do you mean by "some TB type methods"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thanks.....not sure who Dereck is but i can promise you i have had no problems using tracking GB in iron ridden cellar holes....so if i were you id switch to tracking GB, 5 tones and run park 2. Nail falsing with the NOX is a fact of life....i would also not recommend coin shooting around cellar holes....you could be leaving God only knows behind (gold in particular). I found an 1846 $ 2.5 gold dollar love token at a cellar hole...which rang up as aluminium. But if you insist on coin shooting, when you get a high tone sweeping....a coin tone should lock in with the slightest wiggle of the coil....i mean 1/2 to 1" back and forth......also smash your plug with your foot and rescan the dirt before filling the hole back in.....found a few keepers this way as well

I agree 100% with what Tedyoh said. And yes dig iron will unfortunately be part of the game with Equinox.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your signals are disappearing after many sweeps it could be because auto ground tracking is turned on.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a love/hate relationship with the 6" coil at the moment. I love that it is a deep laser beam, but hate that my nails have increased dramatically. I've tried to mitigate this with iron bias, sens, balance, and all other settings, but there's just no way around it. I'm being very picky too, but these are solid, consistent, repeatable VIDS in all directions... I've had my Nox since February and use it regularly, so I know my machine very well. It's enough of an annoyance that I am replacing my ProPointer with a Profind 35 in hopes of taking advantage of the pinpointer's iron disc. Otherwise, curious to hear other's experiences in regards to the 6" and nails.

I have the current update and only used the 6" once pre-update, and didn't dig any nails on that pre-update outing. I'm wondering if the update has made the 6" a nail magnet. The weird thing is that the nails I'm digging aren't just your typical falsing nails (bent 90's, square head, etc). They are ALL types including small 1" straight pieces. I am mostly a park1 one hunter, but have tested it across all park/field modes.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron tone on the pro pointer is not very sensitive from what I saw. Once you've dug the plug you've done most of the work anyway so recover your nail, spit, and move on to the next target. I wouldn't bother with it just for the iron tone gimmick. Decent general purpose PP, though if you really need another one.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it was before the update too.. I tested the coil in my garden and it did well. Iron loaded sites had me chasing iron more than normal.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, you dumped your 6" coil, right?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having a love/hate relationship with the 6" coil at the moment. I love that it is a deep laser beam, but hate that my nails have increased dramatically. I've tried to mitigate this with iron bias, sens, balance, and all other settings, but there's just no way around it. I'm being very picky too, but these are solid, consistent, repeatable VIDS in all directions... I've had my Nox since February and use it regularly, so I know my machine very well. It's enough of an annoyance that I am replacing my ProPointer with a Profind 35 in hopes of taking advantage of the pinpointer's iron disc. Otherwise, curious to hear other's experiences in regards to the 6" and nails.

I have the current update and only used the 6" once pre-update, and didn't dig any nails on that pre-update outing. I'm wondering if the update has made the 6" a nail magnet. The weird thing is that the nails I'm digging aren't just your typical falsing nails (bent 90's, square head, etc). They are ALL types including small 1" straight pieces. I am mostly a park1 one hunter, but have tested it across all park/field modes.

My 6" coil was a nail magnet before the update. It's just it's nature. I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. Was frustrating. I tend to find more with the 11" in dense iron. Still need to put more time on the 6 though and try to play around with settings to see if there's a sweet spot on the setup.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron tone on the pro pointer is not very sensitive from what I saw. Once you've dug the plug you've done most of the work anyway so recover your nail, spit, and move on to the next target. I wouldn't bother with it just for the iron tone gimmick. Decent general purpose PP, though if you really need another one.

Thanks for the input. I noticed that on videos too, that you had to be basically touching the object to get the disc tone. My Garret's on the fritz, so time for something new anyways.

No it was before the update too.. I tested the coil in my garden and it did well. Iron loaded sites had me chasing iron more than normal.

Bummer. Not sure I will keep it in the long run. I dunno. I went from digging 1 or 2 nails per hunt with the stock to ~25% nails with the 6". It's almost absurd, really, but I love the weight, balance, and depth.

The other new annoyance of the 6" is that it hits certain hot rocks as good high tones at my salt beaches. GB or not. Luckily they have a very short/crisp tone so I can usually tell. But it slows me down. Stock coil never did that.

It's almost like the 6" coil needs its own dedicated program, tailored for its size. Not sure that would ever happen, but maybe another update will resolve the crazy falsing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread