doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HH with your new toy, Im sure you will have fun and experince what others have out of the Nox.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE!! It's like Christmas morning, eh?

Steve

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hoping good luck to you.:icon_thumright:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy yourself, its a fun machine.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Nox 800 and Nokta pinpointer in today. Now I am very impatiently awaiting the weekend and some cooler temps.

Ah, you have more patience then I. I went out in 102 degree heat with thick smoke in the air from forest fires, because I just HAD to experiment with this thing. Never said I was the sharpest tack in the box******Great good luck with it "thekevin".

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temps here are supposed to drop almost 30 degrees on Saturday to mid 60s for the high. We have a couple of miles of old railroad lines that run across our property so I will probably just be spending the day digging spikes but I figure it will be good to get to know the machine. We have pulled some old tools and signs out of the ground there too so no telling what I may find.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temps here are supposed to drop almost 30 degrees on Saturday to mid 60s for the high. We have a couple of miles of old railroad lines that run across our property so I will probably just be spending the day digging spikes but I figure it will be good to get to know the machine. We have pulled some old tools and signs out of the ground there too so no telling what I may find.

Your discussion of those big railroadvtype targets made me think of a few new Equinox user tips I can pass on.

The Equinox tends to not overload or overmodulate on large and/or shallow targets (a crushed aluminum can can sound the same as a quarter), so use pinpoint as a means to judge size and depth of the target. Stick with one mode (typically Park 1) and the default settings to learn the machine before experinentingbwithsettings and modes. Park 1 is a good all around mode and the default settings are good for most common detecting situations. Remember to noise cancel after you turn on the machine and select a mode. Lower sensitivity as necessary if you still hear chatter after noise cancelling. Ground balance as necessary after noise cancelling and sensitivity adjustment per the instructions and swing away. Though you will be dependent on the visual target ID for awhile, pay attention to the audio so you can correlate the sounds with the target types. Also, give all metal a go (use the horseshoe button) which removes iron discrimination, so you can learn what iron targets sound like and ID. Have fun.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips. I really do like digging the big iron stuff.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I spent 3 hours today out with the Nox. I went to a spot of land we have that is an 80 acre rectangle that had railroad tracks and a creek running down the middle of it. We have owned the property for just over 100 years. There were two homes on it that we know of, the newest being built in 1902. I worked about 1/3 of the creek today, you couldnt swing more than 2 foot in any direction without getting an iron signal. I purposely went to the spot that I figured would yield the least while I was learning the detector. I definitely liked park1 the best. On field1 every piece of 100 year old barbed wire about blew my ears off. I was a little nervous switching from the AT Pro but I am very pleased with the Nox so far. The deepest target I dug today was about 10 inches. I kept a few of the larger pieces. I have the horseshoe soaking right now, but I think it is more modern than the rest of the stuff. I am hoping that the large square nut with the broken bolt in it cleans up well. I plan on keeping it for a paper weight.

On the upper edge of the property is the dump site and my great great grandpa had a blacksmith shop there that has been gone since the 1930's so I will be slowly working my way that direction as the weather keeps getting cooler. Today was full of spiders and mosquitos.

unnamed (1) (Medium).jpg unnamed (2) (Medium).jpg unnamed (Medium).jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the stuff you are showing in the pic, the horseshoe actually looks the least modern of bunch.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so too at first but after looking closer at the holes I don’t know. I’ll get it cleaned up and post a pic to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread