Lower rod twist/wiggle GONE!

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox 800 lower rod was loose out of the box, the twist lock barely had any bite on the lower rod so the coil twisted and wiggled. I applied some .003 inch brass shim stock with super glue in the area the twist lock clamps, this increased the lower rod diameter .006 inches which was perfect. With the twist lock at full unlock its a very snug interference fit, now when I lock the twist lock it has a death grip on the lower rod :icon_thumright:

shaft.jpg

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That brass piece looks like it would ring up around 25-26. I wonder if there is a nylon version available?

OP
OP
C

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA the brass piece is inside the aluminum middle shaft so not an issue.

OP
OP
C

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get the brass shim?

At my local hardware store, several sheets of various thicknesses come in a pack for a few dollars. Look for the small display of brass metals, typically small diameter round and square tubing, strips of flat stock, and packs of this shim stock. Don't go thicker than .003 inch.

Steps: You can cut .003 brass shim stock with a pair of scissors. I cut a strip about 1 inch wide and trimmed the length so that when wrapped around the lower rod there's a small gap between the ends e.g. they don't butt or overlap. Round the corners.

1. Roll the shim stock around a 1/2 diameter pin or tube to round it. I wrapped it tightly around a lawn spreader pin tightly and secured with some blue painters tape for a few minutes. When I removed the tape it held a rounded shape. Slip it onto the lower rod and position it a few inches below where you will glue it in place.

2. Look at the lower rod and find the square scuffed area where the twist lock has been clamping onto the rod. Wrap some blue painters tape around the lower rod about 3/8 inch above this. You will be sliding the brass shim up the lower rod, into the super glue, this blue painters tape is your stop.

3. Apply a few drops of super glue to the lower rod below the blue painters tape. You want to glue both ends of the brass down. You want to position the brass shim so the end gap is 90 degrees from where the twist lock cam presses against the rod, so 90 degrees to the snap pin/coil. This way its not clamping onto the gap.

5. Slide the brass shim up into the glue and against the painters tape stop. Wipe off any excess glue then wrap some painters tape tightly around the brass to clamp it until the glue dries. You don't want an edge of the brass sticking up.

Once mine dried it was a snug fit inserting to the middle shaft, I had to gently rotate the lower rod to get it started, go easy. I was surprised it was this snug, definitely should go no thicker than .003.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beer can

chub

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
simple and very clean fix no matter the material used, should last quite a while too.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice modification! :occasion14:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small (fixed) metal parts are usually not a problem around the coil...detector is looking for a shift in inductance... that requires change, ie: motion

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice mod!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding modification Charlie!!! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. That'll definitely hold me over until Steve get's his new lower rod's ready, then I'll have a workable spare thanks to you!!! "D"

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a thin layer of insulation tape anf now there id no wobble whatsoever.

Matt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions