Non-expert Equinox 600 review

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not a master of this detector nor do I claim to be, just my average guy’s review so far of the Equinox 600. I have had this detector out only 3 times since purchasing it back around Labor Day. I mainly hunt schoolyards, parks, and tot- lots.... for now.(I have only been using Park 1 and All Metal modes to this point)
The Good:
1. Price point. Awesome bang for the buck. Better wake up White’s,First Texas, Garrett; you are getting left behind here.
2. This thing really hits nickels well. I have been digging nickels at 5-6” with a stable TID. Dimes at 9”, no problem. Quarters at 10” so far. (Sensitivity at 20)
3. So far, no lower rod wobble problems. I know it has only been 3 times out but I have read that some owners experienced this problem right out of the box.
4. It is very lightweight and a joy to swing. Reminds of my T2SE detectors I had at one time. Ergonomics are very good. I can easily make on-the-fly adjustments with my thumb while maintaining a good grip for proper swinging.
5. The display is easy to see; I’m 52 so this is very good.:notworthy:
6. All metal mode, well it blew my mind how fast it separates all of the targets you will obviously hear in this mode and reports this back both in audio and TID.:headbang: It literally sounds like a machine gun but you can easily hear the high tones when the coil goes over good targets. It was actually fun running this thing in all metal mode with sweep speed at 3.
7. Battery life has been good. I have probably been out a total of 7-8 hours and it just dropped to 2 bars.
8. No EMI problems whatsoever; something I have always liked about Minelab.:icon_thumright:

The Not so Good:
1. Not thrilled with the headphone connection location. Yes I know I can get wireless headphones but I think about the location of this on my T2SE and quietly ask, why?
2. Battery; now I like the technology of the battery as far as its type and that it’s rechargeable but I still would like the ability to change this if I so choose. And yes, I have a portable bank charger but then this is something else to worry about keeping charged along with the integrated detector battery. Swapping AA batteries was never a problem for me. Hopefully a battery change won’t require sending the main part of the detector back to Minelab to be replaced.
3. Longer warranty. 5 years would be nice.
4. Maybe just a pet peeve here but like most detectors with the Velcro cuff strap, MAKE IT LONGER! I am only 6’ tall and my forearms are not that big but by the time you have a sweatshirt or jacket on, the Velcro cuff strap is useless.
That’s all I have for now; like I said before, this is not an expert’s review here. I just wanted to add an “average Joe’s” review.:D

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear that you are having early success with your 600. The wired headphones have good quality sound, I just wish there was a 1/4” port and the headphone had a curly cable. I tried buying an adaptor from guitar center to use my Garrett headphones, but there are problems with the Nox intermittently not detecting the headphone and reverting to the built in speaker. I’ve gone back to the Nox headphones for now.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear that you are having early success with your 600. The wired headphones have good quality sound, I just wish there was a 1/4” port and the headphone had a curly cable. I tried buying an adaptor from guitar center to use my Garrett headphones, but there are problems with the Nox intermittently not detecting the headphone and reverting to the built in speaker. I’ve gone back to the Nox headphones for now.

I wanted to let you use the wireless phones I got with my 600 purchase the last time we were out. They pair right up with the machine and once you get away from that wired setup you wonder how you got by all that time! I think you can get many different compatible wireless headphones for the EQ's now for pretty cheap.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the at max and the equinox Garret much better mote solid signals and target separation easy to use no programming hoping I have it right price lower than the minelab. Garrett has the best service ever I have been sent new headphones and a coil when mine got damaged and wasn't under warranty. All my friends Garret hands down the 800 is a good machine not as deep signals a lot more choppy . Just my opinion

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the at max and the equinox Garret much better mote solid signals and target separation easy to use no programming hoping I have it right price lower than the minelab. Garrett has the best service ever I have been sent new headphones and a coil when mine got damaged and wasn't under warranty. All my friends Garret hands down the 800 is a good machine not as deep signals a lot more choppy . Just my opinion

Sorry Tommy I disagree. The max is an AT Pro with a backlight, bigger VDI numbers and screachy tones and obnoxious iron grunts.

The EQ is as deep or deeper with stock coils and the max couldn't even come close on recovery speed. The only place I can see the advantage to using the Garrett is id'ing iron.

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might add that the display on the EQ is much easier to see and the controls are easier to access. A lot of AT Pro users were not impressed with the Max. Plus, have you seen the prices on used AT Max detectors lately? They are selling for darn near half of the cost of what they were new a year ago. :dontknow: Garrett and White's are getting left behind here. I hate to see it being that they are American based companies but when a metal detector company introduces 2 multi-frequency detectors that each retail for less than $1000, how can you not be interested? I waited for months to see if the EQ was going to be nothing more than a hype train coming to town; well, it isn't. It didn't and won't make all single frequency detectors obsolete but it sure killed single frequency used detector values.:o

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you have used Minelab service don't say garrett is better. All the detector mfg's have great service. I had a At Pro for 4 years and but not the At Max. My E-800 is a far superior and deeper machine than the At Pro. One more plus is the different settings. From park to gold. You can use the E-800 right out of the box with no adjustments other than sensitivity it you won't get 5% more out of it by tweaking it. I am no expert and not a relic hunter but I will put my E-800 up against anyone with any detector. I have had it 7 months and didn't hunt enough in Aug and Sept to hardly count but I am closing in on $500 in clad in parks and soccer fields.

vpierceiii

Aug 2, 2018
Placerville CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know much about Garret but my nox 600 has found a bunch of wheats at 10-11 inches with great signals. It also found silver dime at 9 inches. Signal was loud and vid was stable.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minelab Americas has great customer service. Had an issue with my profind 35. Brand new one was back out to me the same day mine arrived to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread