Question for advanced fresh water Equinox users

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Hi!

I have a few questions about the equinox and the right settings for it. I currently do not own this detector but I might buy one depending on the answers I get here.

Im a "pro" excalibur user, or at least I hope Im. My hunting areas in low season are lakes which are considered "hunted out". These lakes have a long history of massive swimming and currently the situation in the lakes is as follows:

- there are still many very deep targets there. Excalibur with sensitivity at 9.5-10 occasionally finds old wedding bands, signet rings etc. But a lot of hunters have visited these lakes with all kinds of VLF detectors. There is also quite a lot of iron in these lakes. Nails, screws etc.

The question is: knowing all this, do you think its worth getting equinox? There *is* lots of fine gold in these lakes, that other detectors can not find. + lots of very deep stuff + some iron.

If you think I should buy this detector: what are the "pro" settings for this type of lakes on the detector?

I do realize Id probably end up digging a lot but that doesnt necessarily scare me off.

Im looking for the most advanced settings to find fine gold. Digging up occasional iron is perfectly fine for me.

The lakes are fresh water lakes with no/low mineralization.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Park 2. The only controls I might adjust are the sensitivity, as the environment dictates. And then, when I get more time on the detector in fresh water, I will want to decrease the number of tones. I can not distinguish the 50 tones due to my hearing and not using my hearing aids while water detecting.

Why I will not wear the HA in the water...First day detecting with the HA in my ears I took my waterproof headphones off which pulled a HA out of my ear. I almost lost the HA in the water and at $3,000 a HA, I can not afford to loose one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fresh water, I would give Gold mode a try (provided you go for the full featured 800 model). It has true threshold, so you can possibly get some deep squeakers based on threshold disturbances. Gold mode is the hottest mode on the machine, but often gets overlooked by water hunters in general because it is unusable in saltwater. Fresh water, however, it can be killer.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
In fresh water, I would give Gold mode a try (provided you go for the full featured 800 model). It has true threshold, so you can possibly get some deep squeakers based on threshold disturbances. Gold mode is the hottest mode on the machine, but often gets overlooked by water hunters in general because it is unusable in saltwater. Fresh water, however, it can be killer.

Is there a universal "pro" mode which grants you access to every possible setting? Tweaking the detector to being "what I want it to be" is quite important to me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tweak all user adjustable settings in each mode. The only universal settings are sensitivity, volume, and backlight. Otherwise, each mode can vibe customized independently from the other modes. Think of each mode as a separate detector.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
You can tweak all user adjustable settings in each mode. The only universal settings are sensitivity, volume, and backlight. Otherwise, each mode can vibe customized independently from the other modes. Think of each mode as a separate detector.

Thats the kind of an answer I was looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread