South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been hitting some old cellar hole sites with Field2, recovery speed in the middle, iron on and power around 20, otherwise stock. I’ve had some luck over my last 4 hunts with some nice old coins and relics, but I would like to reduce the quantity of plugs that end up being square nails. (Some rust encrusted, some large 4”, some small nails, some nail frags or balls of rust)

I usually start by digging any target that bounces into high numbers (examples 16-17 or 24-25 or 32-33) with a tight tone at least in one direction and pinpoints accurate and small. If I start digging too many nails, I start hunting for these signals but looking for ones that stay consistent in all directions. Lately I’m digging a ton of nails with this set up and technique.

My 600 has the software update. Should I revert back to the original software? Should I mess with the iron bias settings. Looks like Field2 is stock at 0. My ears are starting to hear the slight difference between a falsing high tone and a good high tone. (Clearer signal, only bounces one number, with the iron on you don’t hear the more muted iron signal transform into a high tone)

Any advice appreciated. (I realize no detector will totally disc iron correctly 100% of the time, but with my typical 45 min max hunt time I need to be as efficient as possible with my target selections)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next time try flipping over into 5 or 10 kh and see if the vdi numbers jump way up i've found that most of the time iron signals jump higher, haven't tried it yet with square nails that have copper content though.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
next time try flipping over into 5 or 10 kh and see if the vdi numbers jump way up i've found that most of the time iron signals jump higher, haven't tried it yet with square nails that have copper content though.

Thx! I’ll give it try. Sounds like a super quick way to ID an iffy high tone as falsing iron.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try breaking the halo then swiping the target again instead of removing it all together. This helps often on falsing iron.

That's if you're suspecting a false signal

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using AM and listening for accompanying iron tones? Not a fan of iron bias, you run the risk of masking a keeper non-ferrous that is in the proximity of iron.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try breaking the halo then swiping the target again instead of removing it all together. This helps often on falsing iron.

I’ve experienced that. Getting a good hightone signal, digging a quick scoop and it dropping to 15 or iron or not consistent anymore.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using AM and listening for accompanying iron tones? Not a fan of iron bias, you run the risk of masking a keeper non-ferrous that is in the proximity of iron.

Yes, I’m engaging the horseshoe button when at this type of site. The iron tones and what pinpointing reveal give clues. More hours on the nox will help translate a forced high tone from a true high tone.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve experienced that. Getting a good hightone signal, digging a quick scoop and it dropping to 15 or iron or not consistent anymore.

Yeah, if I suspect iron I'll stick my shovel in the ground and give little pull then re swipe. Definitely a time saver, lol!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats actually a really good idea, how have I never thought of that ? Thank you

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, if I suspect iron I'll stick my shovel in the ground and give little pull then re swipe. Definitely a time saver, lol!

High-V, what is your dig not dig criteria when you get a potential silver dime signal at the old trashy parks you hit? Consistent specific numbers? Depth? Tone? Other?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High-V, what is your dig not dig criteria when you get a potential silver dime signal at the old trashy parks you hit? Consistent specific numbers? Depth? Tone? Other?

Depends on how much time I have at the site. It is really a case by case thing with me and is heavily driven by how my day is going. By that I mean what I have dug at that site that day. I'll dig all partial (e.g., one way) high tones at first then adjust as my brain adapts to the sound quality and it becomes clear that I have a a high probability nail based on the 10 or so I have already dug. I focus on the concentration of keepers and then go low and slow in that particular area until the signals dry up. So it is hard to give a generic dig-no dig checklist. Hope that makes sense. Not trying to be vague.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For me personally, it's a combined tone, VDI sequence (which seems consistent on the EQ) and most importantly is how the target pinpoints vs the actual signal response. If the target is a faint high tone and it pinpoints strong you can be certain that's a nail that is being detected and definitely more shallow than it seems. I dig a ton of iron still even if I suspect it to be so simply because I am still learning the EQ. I'm usually right on my guesses though lately. To me, it's the only way to learn.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends on how much time I have at the site. It is really a case by case thing with me and is heavily driven by how my day is going. By that I mean what I have dug at that site that day. I'll dig all partial (e.g., one way) high tones at first then adjust as my brain adapts to the sound quality and it becomes clear that I have a a high probability nail based on the 10 or so I have already dug. I focus on the concentration of keepers and then go low and slow in that particular area until the signals dry up. So it is hard to give a generic dig-no dig checklist. Hope that makes sense. Not trying to be vague.
V,
I would never characterize your info-packed postings as vague, and I NEVER pass up ANY of them,

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I just want everyone to have as much fun as I am detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread