Question About 6 Inch Coil

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning, while I realize that this might be a difficult question to answer; I was wondering, can anyone give me an idea (if possible) as to exactly how much better the 6 inch coil separates than the factory coil? I am finding the factory coil to be extremely impressive, so much so that I couldn't imagine anything else as being much better. I realize that there are always factors such as ground materialization that need to be considered, but if anyone could share their experiences with me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Mike

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Good morning, while I realize that this might be a difficult question to answer; I was wondering, can anyone give me an idea (if possible) as to exactly how much better the 6 inch coil separates than the factory coil? I am finding the factory coil to be extremely impressive, so much so that I couldn't imagine anything else as being much better. I realize that there are always factors such as ground materialization that need to be considered, but if anyone could share their experiences with me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Mike

I ran the 11" coil in my "old" spots after getting the Nox, and was amazed when finding missed finds, even silver coins. It opened up another world with the new 6" coil. You would think that such a small coil would make you work way slower due to it's size. Not the case in my opinion. You can run the 6" hotter and get an expanded area of coverage.

Having said that, I would love an 8" option.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The high recovery speed of the Equinox is what really controls its ability to separate targets when the active "center spine" section of the DD coil passes over multiple targets. That is why you get great separation from the the 11" coil. Coil geometry is really a lesser player when it comes to target separation. Even the smaller 6" coil only has a slightly thinner center section compared to the 11" which only slightly affects side-to-side target separation and it obviously has a shorter length. However, the main geometric advantage to the smaller coil is that its footprint simply allows for fewer targets to be present under the coil (including the less sensitive coil edges) at any one time vs. a larger coil. That means the the Equinox is dealing with fewer simultaneous targets which is perceived as greater separation in areas where target density is high. Also, the smaller form factor allows for the ability to physically swing the coil in space constrained areas which allows for target detection in areas where the larger coil cannot be swung (other than in pinpoint mode, target detection requires coil motion). Obviously, too, the 6" coil is lighter. All these advantages are countered by the lower detection depth (2 to 5" less than the 11" depending on the target and local conditions) and the much ground swing coverage afforded by the 6" coil (in open space, I feel like I am tiptoeing when using the 6" coil).

My experience is the coil works great around restricted areas like playground equipment, fence lines, in corn stubble. But does it separate better in thick trash/iron? Perhaps, but really just less targets are sounding off, which is helpful in some circumstances. I really did not get it for separation but for detecting in areas where I can't properly swing the 11" coil. In wide open spaces like fields and beach give me the larger coil regardless of the trash and target density situation unless I want to precisely and slowly cover a postage stamp sized area in that field or beach for some reason.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all of my hunts that I've compared the two, I am not noticing any significant separation advantage with the 6". I can easily counter trash and the need for separation by simply upping the recovery with the 11". Then, when I hear a high tone in the mix, I'll simply increase swing speed (FAST!) and be able to locate the high tone accurately and precisely with the 11". It's incredible what you can hear when you swing the 11 fast and at high recovery.

I've found some nice silver with the 6", but I can't handle the constant nail falsing. Iron Bias or not, it happens too frequently with it. So I had to ask myself, what am I really gaining with the 6"? The only positive for me is the phenomenally light weight and balance. All else, the stock coil seems to separate near equally when adjustments are made to recovery and swing speed. Also, I have to swing twice as much to cover the same ground with the 6. So I've decided to ditch the 6". I wanted to like the coil so badly, but it's been mostly a $180 nail finder for me. YMMV.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6”coil imo favors heavy modern trash better than even heavy nails.
Less dense iron Stock coil does well with correct settings.

Areas with big iron small coil gives some advantage.

Ergo wise small coils best combo I have ever handled and used.

In modern trash areas, both stock and small coil may indeed hit a target (good one) but ID wise odds of ore correct ID goes to smaller coil.

Higher Emi areas, even small coil can be run hot and remain stable.

I won’t be getting rid of my small equinox coil.

Mdpartner

Sep 8, 2018
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites XLT with three coils. I almost never use the factory coil unless I'm in a plowed field or open ground. The 6 is my standard go to with my 3.5 as my trash talker. I have repeatedly found dimes, pennies and even nickles amongst pull tabs and bottle caps near picnic benches.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the great answers guys! I think that I’ll stick with the factory coil as it seems to separate extremely well. I can always purchase the smaller coil if I feel that I am passing over coins.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pre up grade
I found the 6" great when I got it on Iron filled colonial cellar sites , I had already hunted out with 11"

it did as it promised find smaller good items amongst iron that I did not detect with multiple visits with 11" in many different modes and settings

now after the up grade, it falses badly on iron and sequels high pitched loudly only big iron

I seriously thinking of reversing the up-grade before using 6" on a site I hunted out with 11"

and then loading up grade when starting at a new site with 11"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The high recovery speed of the Equinox is what really controls its ability to separate targets when the active "center spine" section of the DD coil passes over multiple targets. That is why you get great separation from the the 11" coil. Coil geometry is really a lesser player when it comes to target separation. Even the smaller 6" coil only has a slightly thinner center section compared to the 11" which only slightly affects side-to-side target separation and it obviously has a shorter length. However, the main geometric advantage to the smaller coil is that its footprint simply allows for fewer targets to be present under the coil (including the less sensitive coil edges) at any one time vs. a larger coil. That means the the Equinox is dealing with fewer simultaneous targets which is perceived as greater separation in areas where target density is high. Also, the smaller form factor allows for the ability to physically swing the coil in space constrained areas which allows for target detection in areas where the larger coil cannot be swung (other than in pinpoint mode, target detection requires coil motion). Obviously, too, the 6" coil is lighter. All these advantages are countered by the lower detection depth (2 to 5" less than the 11" depending on the target and local conditions) and the much ground swing coverage afforded by the 6" coil (in open space, I feel like I am tiptoeing when using the 6" coil).

My experience is the coil works great around restricted areas like playground equipment, fence lines, in corn stubble. But does it separate better in thick trash/iron? Perhaps, but really just less targets are sounding off, which is helpful in some circumstances. I really did not get it for separation but for detecting in areas where I can't properly swing the 11" coil. In wide open spaces like fields and beach give me the larger coil regardless of the trash and target density situation unless I want to precisely and slowly cover a postage stamp sized area in that field or beach for some reason.

I agree with 100% of what you said. I appreciate having my 6” in our constricting woods and trashy parks.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pre up grade
I found the 6" great when I got it on Iron filled colonial cellar sites , I had already hunted out with 11"

it did as it promised find smaller good items amongst iron that I did not detect with multiple visits with 11" in many different modes and settings

now after the up grade, it falses badly on iron and sequels high pitched loudly only big iron

I seriously thinking of reversing the up-grade before using 6" on a site I hunted out with 11"

and then loading up grade when starting at a new site with 11"

Roll it back! I experienced the same with the update, that the 6" falsing was to the point of absurdity. It would also high-tone on moderately mineralized rocks. Rolling it back cut the 6" iron falsing down and elminated the rock falses completely, but it still falses on nails too frequently here in my ground. I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's almost like the 6" coil needs its own dedicated program. Not sure that is possible, but one can wish.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roll it back! I experienced the same with the update, that the 6" falsing was to the point of absurdity. It would also high-tone on moderately mineralized rocks. Rolling it back cut the 6" iron falsing down and elminated the rock falses completely, but it still falses on nails too frequently here in my ground. I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's almost like the 6" coil needs its own dedicated program. Not sure that is possible, but one can wish.

Not sure what they did with the upgrade other than fix the obvious issues, but we need another version to cure these iron problems we are now having.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do like the 6" a lot. If doing something like a parking strip? for me it IS the one to use. It's just another good tool to have on hand. Sometimes one size does not fit all.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I agree , it would be nice to have a dedicated program for 6" with upgrade

as I am very happy with 11" after upgrade,

11" definitely sharper especially when you run back over a spot you've hunted at low recovery and high sensitivity swinging slowly the smalls pop
sort of acts like a 6" should

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I agree , it would be nice to have a dedicated program for 6" with upgrade

as I am very happy with 11" after upgrade,

11" definitely sharper especially when you run back over a spot you've hunted at low recovery and high sensitivity swinging slowly the smalls pop
sort of acts like a 6" should

Agree the upgrades really help with the 11" at high sensitivity even with a normal/slightly fast sweep.

I have been hunting an old fairgrounds with little success lately. Yesterday I decided to hit it fast for a change instead of slow with low recovery. Got 2 oldies, a 1925 Buff and a 1893 IH. Only 2 coins you say, at this site that's a great hunt for me.

Park 2 sens 24, recovery 6 and IB 1. Had nickels 12-13 and everything above 17 set to high tone and these popped out very nicely. The Buff was a solid 12-13 and the IH was 19-20, both at 9"+

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a very busy last cpl of months so I haven't had time to hunt much. I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the 6" coil yet mostly because of availability but not quite ready yet anyway. I went out to a park yesterday and it was 88 degrees with the sun beating down me so I didn't hunt long. This park is about 1 acre and I have pulled over $200 out of it in the spring. Yesterday I hunted a about 200' and pulled out 2 silver and 75 cents in clan in the 200'. All that told me is I have to hunt the park again. I wasn't out there 20 minutes. I am going in the morning again just to see if I am that successful in a cpl of hours. I was pretty confident I had the park pretty well hunted out with the exception of some iffy nickel signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread