Equinox lower rod project COMPLETE (see pics). Production to begin Tuesday!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari --

Short answer -- whatever length you want them to be! I will build them custom for you. :)

Longer answer -- my "standard" rods are 26" long, as compared to 24 1/4" for the stock Minelab rods. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean you have 1 3/4" of extra "adjustment length," on my STANDARD rod. Like I said, I can build the rod to any length you want, and give you any extra amount of adjustment length you might want. BUT -- on my standard rod, the extra 1 3/4" length is BEYOND the spring button position, at the "top" of the rod. Said differently, my spring button position, and Minelab's, are IN THE SAME PLACE, relative to the bottom of the rod (i.e. 22 3/4" from the bottom of the rod -- please see the picture, below...)

steves-rod-vs-stock-annotated.jpg

Why did I include the extra 1 3/4" BEYOND the button? For a bit of extra stability; in other words, no matter WHAT extension length you choose/which button hole you use, you will have an extra 1 3/4" of lower rod remaining inside the middle rod, as compared to if you were using the Minelab lower rod. This extra length of rod remaining within the middle rod will theoretically allow a bit of extra stability -- especially if you are a person that likes to extend your rod to the maximum extension length. More lower rod left inside the middle rod = a bit more "stability."

BUT, to reiterate, I can make your rod whatever length you want, and put that spring button in any position you want. If you need a "tall man" rod, I can do that. If you want the rod EXACTLY like Minelab's rod, i.e. 24 1/4" long, with the button located 22 3/4" from the bottom of the rod, I can do that too. Custom design is no problem!

Hope that helps, and THANKS for your interest, vferrari!

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basstrackerman --

THANK YOU very much, for your interest. You are now added to the "wait list!"

I'll send you a PM with PayPal info, but don't worry about paying me yet; I make it a practice NOT to part you from your money until I have a product available to ship to you! ;) Rest assured, though, your place in line is "secure," and you will have two rods from the next batch...

THANK YOU!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty --

THANKS for your kind words! I've added you to the list, safely in position to receive a rod from this next batch, which I expect to be ready for shipping in about 1 1/2 weeks, give or take a day or two.

THANKS!

Steve

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Please add me to your list for one rod. Thanks

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
slider66,

Consider yourself added!
:icon_thumleft:

THANKS for your interest! It's much appreciated!

Steve

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI guys....I have one of the standard rods from Steve...... it's top of the line quality, you'll be very pleased with it.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan -- THANKS for the kind words/endorsement! VERY glad you like the rod!

Steve

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Steve,
I received the lower rod and all I can say is WOW! What a beautiful job. They looked great in the pics but wait until you see them in person. You are an awesome craftsman.
Great job on the packaging for shipping.

Thank you again.
Rusty

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Received mine today. I had mine made a little longer. It came wrapped in the perfect box with excellent packing. I’ll be in the water tomorrow with it and will provide feedback on how the extra length performed in the water.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Steve,
Can you add me to your waitlist for a standard sized lower rod please? Thanks!

Phil

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve-please add me to the waitlist for the standard sized lower shaft for my Equinox 600. Thanks! Tom

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Received mine today. I had mine made a little longer. It came wrapped in the perfect box with excellent packing. I’ll be in the water tomorrow with it and will provide feedback on how the extra length performed in the water.

Went detecting for the day at the beach with the Equinox using the lower rod that Steve made for me. The rod is 3 inches longer than the standard Equinox rod. It is longer in length than my Excal rods to give you an idea of how it looks. I am referring to Anderson and Plugger shafts that i use with my two Excal's. The extra length 28 inches allows me to have an extra 3 inch reach. There was no difference in balance, and no difference in swinging the Equinox in the water. The rod is well made and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a little extra reach.
Here is a few photos of my finds from the other day. Found a silver broken chain and a few junk rings.

IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phil and Tom --

THANKS for your interest! I have you both added to the list, for a "standard" rod. I'll have the rods assembled and ready to ship within the next week! I'll be in touch with you both, when I have a rod boxed up and ready for you...

slider66 --

THANKS for the kind words -- really glad you are happy with the rod, and that the extra length is working well for you! Nice finds, as well! I need to get back to the beach again! ;)

Thank you all!

Steve

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just swapped out the original rod for the new one. WOW! The slight wobble I had with the old one is gone! And the new one is really, really well made and looks awesome.

Great work Steve. Thank you!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

Thanks for the kind words -- I'm really glad that you are pleased with the rod, and that it has helped to minimize the wobble you were experiencing. I try to keep my suppliers working to very tight "tolerances," including on the outide diameters of the carbon-fiber tubes, and that in conjunction with that little bit of extra length I include on the end of my "standard" rod is intended to help out a bit with respect to "wobble" issues that some might be experiencing with their stock lower rod, at that lower twist-lock connection. I'm glad it has helped, in your case!

THANKS!

Steve

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lower rod ordered from Steve arrived today. Fit, finish and over all quality are top notch! (The glossy carbon fiber looks way cool too) Highly recommended!

If you are swinging the Equinox with the stock lower rod, you need one of these.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS for the kind words, Mark! Very much appreciated, and I'm thrilled that you are pleased!

I have both EQX and CTX shafts in stock, if anyone needs one.

Also, stay tuned over the next 1-2 weeks, for some news on the long-anticipated "complete carbon-fiber shaft" for the Equinox... ;)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread