TESTING THE NOX ON A GOLD COIN

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things a Beast!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mode were you in calabash, and I think I like your soil more than mine out here, and your yard would be a dandy one to get permission to hunt, just saying......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I'd like to know which mode he was in too......and how his other detectors did in the test. Deus? F75? CTX? E-trac?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After digging some deep old nickels with the 800 this comes as no surprise!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
park 2

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most often use Field 2, any real difference between the two of them?, say in a parking strip or yard.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm the only one who stuck with park 1! lol.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most often use Field 2, any real difference between the two of them?, say in a parking strip or yard.

I've been trying to figure that out myself. I personally prefer Field 2, also, as it seems less "harsh" to my ear. Not sure if the different ferrous tone break (2 vs. 0 for Park 2) or ferrous volume (4 vs. 12 for Park 2) make a difference. Only a slight difference in recovery speed (7 vs. 6 for Park 2). I'll have to run some tests with Park 2 and Field 2 set up identically.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Park 1 for coin shooting and Field 2 for Relic hunting.

For copper and milled silver coins, I would agree. For gold coins and hammered silver, I think Field 2 and maybe Gold 1/2 should be better. Hammered silver coins read a lot lower than milled silver coins do as a rule. I'll find out next week, as I will be trying both of those modes (along with some others) in the fields of England.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your other tests, it looks like the Deus hits it fine too. Any other comparisons coming soon? Maybe continue to bury the coin a little deeper and see which one fails to hit on it first?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From your other tests, it looks like the Deus hits it fine too. Any other comparisons coming soon? Maybe continue to bury the coin a little deeper and see which one fails to hit on it first?

Looks like he's got a multi Kruzer on the way. Should be interesting to see how that machine does in the garden.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ONLY a thought fella's, but as far as hitting on a gold coin, or any gold item in general, if you have the 800 in hand, try it in the 20Khz only just to see how it goes?, for general hunting of course the Multi with the EQ, or the Multi Kruzer or other machines, if there's one there, (a gold coin or other gold item) you would hope to find it, but the main reason I bought the EQ was having that option of running in Multi Freq's OR a single one as I'm detecting. Again, only a thought. By all accounts, the Kruzer sounds like a dandy machine, but it IS still a one Freq. at a time I believe. They are all good, and of course it's all up to the operator as to what he/she likes. Wanted to add that on salt water beaches all bets are off with single Freq.'s.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Park 1 for coin shooting and Field 2 for Relic hunting.

Pretty much the only reason I use Park or Field 2, is that in parks around here, chances of old coins are pretty slim, I go there really because I just want to swing a coil for awhile, and HOPE for something in gold, and I'm thinking the #2 modes give a little bit of an edge, knowing the whole time, that they also will not miss any silver rings etc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much the only reason I use Park or Field 2, is that in parks around here, chances of old coins are pretty slim, I go there really because I just want to swing a coil for awhile, and HOPE for something in gold, and I'm thinking the #2 modes give a little bit of an edge, knowing the whole time, that they also will not miss any silver rings etc.

In my testing and use, there's nothing wrong with using Field 2 for old/deep coins. I just got back from England and found Roman bronze and hammered English silver coins using Field 2, 24 sensitivity, iron bias 3. Except for the Gold programs (which work the best), Field 2 seems to be the best for small gold. Park 2 is the next best, but, not near as good as Field 2. Larger gold can be found easily in all modes.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my testing and use, there's nothing wrong with using Field 2 for old/deep coins. I just got back from England and found Roman bronze and hammered English silver coins using Field 2, 24 sensitivity, iron bias 3. Except for the Gold programs (which work the best), Field 2 seems to be the best for small gold. Park 2 is the next best, but, not near as good as Field 2. Larger gold can be found easily in all modes.

Field 2 should work great for the coin types you described (Roman bronze and hammered silver, gold) as those are all mid conductive targets vs. "modern" minted copper and fine silver coinage for which Park 1, Field 1, Beach modes would be optimal modes.

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more and more like I'll be getting an 800 when the motorcycle sells...Thanks Calabash for the vids and comparisons. I really miss Calabash seafood, Wrightsville Beach and Shallotte oysters. I grew up on the intracoastal on Masonboro Sound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread