Equinox Coil Question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here is my limited understanding of coils.

Concentric coil search pattern is cone shaped with the point being at the deepest.
They are good for pinpointing deep targets.
But it seems that if you have a coin at the point of the cone and trash in the wider upper coin you have a problem with separation of the trash and good coins.

double d coil search pattern is a narrow wall like shape from front to back of coil about 1-2" wide. (not sure of the width)

so on targets in clean trash free fields which same sized coil will find the deepest target (ignoring the fact that double d's will cover more ground quicker)

which is better at picking targets among trashy areas? I know this depends on the depth and location of the target and trash. with trash more close to the surface I think the double d would beat the concentric.

(note I use the word think, meaning it is an educated guess not actual knowledge.)

With this in mind do you think that minelab will come out with a concentric coil for the Equinox series?

or do they rely on fast recovery speed to find targets in trash?

on the concentric coil is the coil pattern like a cone designed in by the engineers or just the nature of the coil?

Minelab has their six inch coil as a double D not a concentric. Why?

thanks, just curious about these things. Hmm, I wonder what Minelab customer service would say if I ask them these questions?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil basics: https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet_en.aspx

Why is the 6” coil not concentric? Anybody’s guess, but some detectors are not compatible with concentrics (e.g., the Teknetics T2). ML has gotten away from providing anything other than DD coils of late, for whatever reason. Most detectorists expect DD coils these days as they are considered “newer” tech but as you can see from the link, both coil types have their advantages and disadvantages.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he said. Plus, you have to sometimes dig the junk. I dug my honey site for six months or so before I found my first good relic there. Maybe I zigged when I should have zagged. THEN the goodies started popping up. You gotta dig iffy signals.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
if you were selling metal detectors wouldn't you want to match the coil to the detector for optimum performance, why did i pay 200 dollars to gain another inch of ground.:BangHead:

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I have used detectors with DD coils and had a tough time pinpointing with them, that's why I liked the concentric coils pinpointing is a breeze but my Equinox 11"coil pinpoints like it's a concentric coil I don't even use the pinpoint button dead on center of the 11 DD coil I was amazed that it pinpointed so well. I have read on other detecting sites where people said their Equinox pinpointed to the left or right of center of the coil that to me would be unacceptable. I don't think a 6",5" or any small coil matters if it DD or concentric when it comes to pinpointing hell it's only 6" how hard is that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread