Ground balancing the 800

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. It will adjust on the fly as soon as you start swinging the coil. Just set it and forget it. I would not use tracking in places where there is low mineralization such as white sand beaches, otherwise, I have seen little downside to using it, especially in highly mineralized ground that causes swings in ground phase over relatively small distances.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. It will adjust on the fly as soon as you start swinging the coil. Just set it and forget it. I would not use tracking in places where there is low mineralization such as white sand beaches, otherwise, I have seen little downside to using it, especially in highly mineralized ground that causes swings in ground phase over relatively small distances.

I love you vferrsri ♥️

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love you vferrsri ♥️

Hey Truth, you may not love me so much after this. After some discussion with some other folks, one thing I did not consider is where you may have GB set from the last time you hunted. If that GB setting already in the machine is 50 or more points away from the actual site GB reading, it is probably prudent to do a manual GB first so you can initialize the GB setting "in the ballpark" at the start of the hunt so the tracking algorithm can take it from there, otherwise it is possible that your GB is still off for several swings until the tracking algorithm zeroes in on the right number. It will get there eventually if you don't do a manual/auto GB first, but it may take awhile longer. So it just makes sense to take the couple of seconds do that manual/auto GB first, then switch it into tracking.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Truth, you may not love me so much after this. After some discussion with some other folks, one thing I did not consider is where you may have GB set from the last time you hunted. If that GB setting already in the machine is 50 or more points away from the actual site GB reading, it is probably prudent to do a manual GB first so you can initialize the GB setting "in the ballpark" at the start of the hunt so the tracking algorithm can take it from there, otherwise it is possible that your GB is still off for several swings until the tracking algorithm zeroes in on the right number. It will get there eventually if you don't do a manual/auto GB first, but it may take awhile longer. So it just makes sense to take the couple of seconds do that manual/auto GB first, then switch it into tracking.

That makes a lot of good sense. I hadn't considered that before but I will add that to my settings check list. Thanks.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

see that is the thing about Vferrari - his concern is always getting the facts about things to us, not just an opinion.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very good observations. The Equinox remembers the last detecting mode and settings used when you turn it off. If now you go to another detecting area where the ground conditions may be different than in the last place you detected, the ground balance and some of the other settings may not be the best. In this case it would be best to adjust the settings for this new detecting area.

Anyway, on page 12 of the manual there are instructions to reset an individual Search mode or profile, instead of doing a factory reset. In this case only the local settings, which include ground balance, will be reset to factory mode. Just navigate to the search Mode you want to reset, and press/hold the Detect button for 5 seconds. This won't affect the volume level, and probably the threshold.

Keep in mind that I am not as experienced as you are with the Equinox. I have only used about four times up to two weeks ago, and since winter has already arrived I have put it away until the next summer. I do spend a lot of time reading the manual and learning about the Equinox from those like you who have a vast knowledge of this detector.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I love you even more. Thanks bro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread