Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to lack of real success in heavy Iron

I think I am going to go back a a few steps at Cellar holes and do my first round with discrimination on.

I know there is a chance I may mask out targets, but the orchestra of sounds and bleeps and no success is driving me nuts

I just feel this machine is just too sensitive for wide open at iron invested sites

I just watched a video of an MX sport (single 13.75 frequency) user in full discrimination, and High trash setting, clearly hearing and grabbing coins left right and center in the nails

any comments welcome

Currently
I go over area's a few times different settings, but haven't had great success

I run field 2 all metal, recovery 6 sensitivity 22

i do this again and dig all deep targets with the slightest good number/sound

then try 16-18 sensitivity

then try 16-18 sensitivity with recovery 3 for deep targets

Then I put on 6" run field 2 all metal, recovery 6 sensitivity 18

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to lack of real success in heavy Iron

I think I am going to go back a a few steps at Cellar holes and do my first round with discrimination on.

I know there is a chance I may mask out targets, but the orchestra of sounds and bleeps and no success is driving me nuts

I just feel this machine is just too sensitive for wide open at iron invested sites

I just watched a video of an MX sport (single 13.75 frequency) user in full discrimination, and High trash setting, clearly hearing and grabbing coins left right and center in the nails

any comments welcome

Currently
I go over area's a few times different settings, but haven't had great success

I run field 2 all metal, recovery 6 sensitivity 22

i do this again and dig all deep targets with the slightest good number/sound

then try 16-18 sensitivity

then try 16-18 sensitivity with recovery 3 for deep targets

Then I put on 6" run field 2 all metal, recovery 6 sensitivity 18

So I use the mx sport now I have nox. Turn your iron bias down, and your sensitivity down. Turn your recovery speed up to 8 or so. try that and see if it helps. I have seen a definite advantage with the nox over my sport in some areas. Though with out the smaller coil for the nox i don't get up close to the cellars, simply because the coil is too big, The mx sport I rock a 7 inch dd near the cellars and iron infested sites. Also be sure to ground balance and noise cancel.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, glad to hear from you especially that you run both machines, Great Advice for Nox ,

as my Buddy runs the MX sport and is in need of advice do you run with discrimination on?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, glad to hear from you especially that you run both machines, Great Advice for Nox ,

as my Buddy runs the MX sport and is in need of advice do you run with discrimination on?

I run my mx in all metal mode wide open, unless I'm too tired to distinguish all those sounds(it will be soooo noisy it will blow your mind at first). If tired or lazy, I run it in all metal with everything up to 0 or 10 notched out I also keep my sat low/mid range so I can swing slowly, your swing speed and sat speed much "match". no swinging fast with a low sat speed and no swinging slow with a high sat speed. MOST important on the sport is to not run the sens too high, it will cause problems with masking in trashy sites if you run it high. Super hot machine and often running sens at 4-6 is plenty for iron infested sites, while still able to grab deep targets. the reason i use all metal in trashy sites is so i can easily distinguish between a good target and a false reading from a big piece of iron to the side of my coil. Also makes it easier to hone in on a target in between other targets, as you can hear everything and adjust your swing to isolate the target that interests you. Very important also is not to have it tracking but to clear a spot of signals and ground balance and lock it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also forgot to mention with the sport, is be very cautious of trusting the iron grunt in iron infested sites. A piece of iron near a good target can give you an iron grunt with the signal. So if you like the sound of the signal ignore that grunt in the trashy areas.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great, I can tell you have been through the wars,
I will pass on to my buddy, in fact, I will set it up for him

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great, I can tell you have been through the wars,
I will pass on to my buddy, in fact, I will set it up for him

Well worth the battle to learn your detector in those iron infested sites. Goodies pop up that others are too lazy to find or don't know how to find. I'm looking forward to getting a better handle on my nox, as I believe it will out perform my sport once I learn it well enough. Especially once I get the smaller coil for the nox.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would lower sensitivity down to 15, (18 does not work for me in iron) run recovery in the middle, no discrimination. (Keep other settings you described)

This should still pull targets the size of cuff buttons 4” deep. You need to go pretty slow and select areas around the hole that are smooth. (Meaning not high grass or briars and the ground should be solid not mushy)

I only dig signals that lock in through the iron background. I pass if they are too bouncy or beep in concert with iron grunt. I also look for ones that are at least 2 notches deep and pinpoint small and clean.

This has worked great in 7 of my last 10 cellar hole sites. The 3 that failed were too mushy and had high grass.(assuming targets were too deep and thus under too much iron)

Good luck

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would lower sensitivity down to 15, (18 does not work for me in iron) run recovery in the middle, no discrimination. (Keep other settings you described)

This should still pull targets the size of cuff buttons 4” deep. You need to go pretty slow and select areas around the hole that are smooth. (Meaning not high grass or briars and the ground should be solid not mushy)

I only dig signals that lock in through the iron background. I pass if they are too bouncy or beep in concert with iron grunt. I also look for ones that are at least 2 notches deep and pinpoint small and clean.

This has worked great in 7 of my last 10 cellar hole sites. The 3 that failed were too mushy and had high grass.(assuming targets were too deep and thus under too much iron)

Good luck

Would you run that in a 2-tone mode?

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.... will put what you describe into practice this weekend

Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions