Best PinPointer ?? Which one to buy?

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned the carrot and love it. I have another I don't even remember the name of that I just don't bother with, but keep it just in case this one ever fails. There have also been discussions on protecting the tip and you can look around for those discussions no matter what pin pointer you decide on. Look it up, read up on it, and check out you tube videos on it and others before you decide. BTW, it's just my opinion, but discrimination on a pin pointer isn't needed as your main detector will do that, but once in a hole go for all that ring up in it.

Where's my manners? WELCOME TO TNET.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was also wondering about taping the first inch of the pro pointer AT then scuffing up and spraying it with some rattle can bed liner.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a tek point.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Profind 35. Discriminates. Ive had a bunch and i would exclude the fpulse if your using the nox or ctx. Makes them go nuts because it is a PI. Profind 35 and Garrett are great to use with the Nox.

You can cancel out the noise from the Fpulse on the Nox by doing a noise cancel with the fpulse turned on. That being said, I've tried the f pulse and a couple other standalone PPs and always go back to the carrot. PP discrimination is a gimmick where I find myself digging out the nail anyway if I am in the hole, just to be sure. Lol.

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I was also wondering about taping the first inch of the pro pointer AT then scuffing up and spraying it with some rattle can bed liner.

I just wrap medical tape around the tip and it works fine for me. When the tape wears down, just take off the rest of it and re-wrap it with more tape. Medical tape is a cloth-like tape and I guess one could use a non-metallic duct tape too. Why risk permanent encasement on it when that could wear out and can be far more expensive than tape? BTW, would the spray react badly with the carrot's plastic? Why risk it?

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wrap medical tape around the tip and it works fine for me. When the tape wears down, just take off the rest of it and re-wrap it with more tape. Medical tape is a cloth-like tape and I guess one could use a non-metallic duct tape too. Why risk permanent encasement on it when that could wear out and can be far more expensive than tape? BTW, would the spray react badly with the carrot's plastic? Why risk it?

Honestly, I have no idea. I know they have paint made specifically for plastic but who knows what is out there. The tape idea sounds good too. Cheap for sure.

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love the TRX. I have owed two Garrett's they won't hold a candle next to the TRX. I recently had my TRX quit working I got it when they first came out so it was out of warranty. I called White's the mail me out a brand new TRX. All I had to do was send in my old one they shipped out a new TRX free of charge.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was sorting through some Mding equipment last night and gathered my pinpointers all up. Honestly, the TRX feels like a toy after holding the Garrett carrot and f-pulse.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 35 controls are perfect for me, with the carrot i waste a lot of time on the settings. But they both work fine. 35 is big and the discrimination is not reason enough alone to buy it and the garrett seems tougher due to the one piece body but it came down to ease of use for me.

Arky 1

Oct 1, 2006
I bought a XP MI 4 a few months back charged it, played with it in the front yard to see how it works which was fine a friend of mine wants to go metal detecting over the Christmas Holiday started getting my stuff ready pulled out the XP it wouldn't do anything had it on the charger for 24 hours still won't do anything moral of the story don't buy one!

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks... I've never had a problem with my MI-6, but carry my Garrett pro with me just in case.

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeepers, I'm on my 4th garrett pro pointer and had no idea the price dropped that much! I paid $127 for each of mine. I hunt almost everyday and they last about 3 years before they start to wack out on you. I thought about the minelab because they advertised discrimination but from the vids I've seen it doesn't work that well. Right now I'd definitely go with the $40 garrett...but I keep saying the person who can produce a truly discriminating pinpointer will die a rich woman or man!

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bang for the buck : Deteknix Xpointer
I also have the Garrett Pro pointer and the Makro pointer.

Deteknix Xpointer: Cheap, relaible, deep
Garrett Pro pointer : not very relaible (had problems with 2 of them)
Makro pointer : Relaible, takes more time to put on and off, not so deep as Garrett or Deteknix

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Peter said! ⬆ I have the same 3 and rank them: XPointer, Makro, Garrett.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
The Garrett pro-pointer and pro-pointer AT are 2 different animals and wouldn't be fair to lump all Garrett Pro-pointers together.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett pro-pointer and pro-pointer AT are 2 different animals and wouldn't be fair to lump all Garrett Pro-pointers together.

Very true! My original black Garrett pinpointer was not the same quality as the new ones. Mainly the on off switch. Had it replaced a couple times.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno about the older Xpointer, but I got the new waterproof Xpointer pro and was less than impressed with the sensitivity and responsiveness compared to my Garrett carrot and XP MI6 pinpointers. Returned it the next day.

Digger Pop

Mar 10, 2018
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like my carrot. It has held up well. Also I Got back to my truck last time out and it was gone. Walked backed towards my last hole and it was there chirping its come find me signal. Nice feature for sure.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I like my carrot. It has held up well. Also I Got back to my truck last time out and it was gone. Walked backed towards my last hole and it was there chirping its come find me signal. Nice feature for sure.

Maybe you should invest in a lanyard. It would be a bummer after hunting all day and find it gone again, but the battery could run down before you get back to the area it was dropped or lost in so no come find me beeping with a dead battery. It doesn't necessarily need to be at the last place you hunted either as it could drop anywhere.

I've actually used only my carrot to detect on the sly or stealth like. I have found stuff using only the carrot. That's says loads of it's ability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions