Best PinPointer ?? Which one to buy?

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Found a Tek-Point on sale for 78 bucks. I like it so far. The green color is not the best, wrapped the end with floro tape. Thing goes deep and just feels well built. The 800 can cancel out the interference as well.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used and have a Garrett carrot, TRX and fisher f pulse. The f pulse feels the best in your hand. The Garrett carrot is one of those ones you can't go wrong with and the TRX is a falsing, chirping mess.

I have a Garret PP but I have used the Whites TRX for 5 years or hard relic hunting & 'tho it may be HighVDI 's Unit' mine has worked very well & I don't recall ever having to change the batteries , ( I just did after a long time ) , the only issue is one that is my fault , I can never easily remember how to go from beep to Vibe . Most I know use the Garret & i'd have no issue using either . 'Half the price of a Minelab PP ' I don't know about that but def , less $ for the garret.
Good Luck my 'home town ' friend & welcome to the T-net site.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newest TRX pin pointers ARE waterproof.....not just water resistant. I've had mine underwater many times. Any of the major detector companies have a good pin pointer. I'd get one that truly is waterproof. Other than that, check out the features you like best. Personally, I like one that has a silent mode (vibrator), waterproof, brightly colored, a tether ring, tip only detection, and feels good in my hand. You can deal with tip wear on any of them. Most have tip protectors available, or, do like I've done a few times, dip the tip in Epoxy when needed to protect the end.

I have also used mine 'TRX' in water but never submerged it for more than a second or 2 , (the speaker hole has tape over it ) & it's gotten very wet plenty times , & I have dipped the tip in that liquid rubber stuff "Plasti Dip" 2 years ago & it's about time for another dip. ???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks... I've never had a problem with my MI-6, but carry my Garrett pro with me just in case.

This statement says a-lot.
Good Luck & Merry Christmas

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeepers, I'm on my 4th garrett pro pointer and had no idea the price dropped that much! I paid $127 for each of mine. I hunt almost everyday and they last about 3 years before they start to wack out on you. I thought about the minelab because they advertised discrimination but from the vids I've seen it doesn't work that well. Right now I'd definitely go with the $40 garrett...but I keep saying the person who can produce a truly discriminating pinpointer will die a rich woman or man!

$40 Really ???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should invest in a lanyard. It would be a bummer after hunting all day and find it gone again, but the battery could run down before you get back to the area it was dropped or lost in so no come find me beeping with a dead battery. It doesn't necessarily need to be at the last place you hunted either as it could drop anywhere.

I've actually used only my carrot to detect on the sly or stealth like. I have found stuff using only the carrot. That's says loads of it's ability.

??? ???? ??? ???? ???.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 35 controls are perfect for me, with the carrot i waste a lot of time on the settings. But they both work fine. 35 is big and the discrimination is not reason enough alone to buy it and the garrett seems tougher due to the one piece body but it came down to ease of use for me.

I'm in agreement here in my own way. I do have the Garrett Black, and the Garrett "carrot". I have bought the Minelab "35" because of it's claim of ferrous/non-ferrous discrim ability. Well, again it was not what I thought it would be, in that as pointed out before that feature kicks in when your about 1/2 to 1" from the target, so..what I DO really like about the 35 is it is SO easy to adjust the sensitivity on it, (4 levels) from max to min. back and forth. But to me, the pinpointer itself it is a tiny bit cumbersome, and when I reach for it from it's holster, I need to look for the button. Minor items but, OK, I'm spoiled. What I have been doing for awhile, (and this works for me) is that I have both Garretts on my belt, reason, the "carrot" is a sensitive pointer along the entire shaft, and when in the hole of a small plug, it's difficult to find just where the target might be if in the sidewall of the hole, and for me it's a "process" to scroll thru the "settings" back and forth, so....I leave the carrot set on max, and use it that way, then if needed I return it to it's holster and pull out the black Garrett (pretty much tip only) and zero in. So yes, I carry two pointers and work it that way, and with the Garretts I can "feel" where the on/off button is, and not look for it. This all reads far more complicated then it really is, but again this works well for me. I would add though, no matter what brand/type of pointer you buy, I see no point buying one that is NOT waterproof. Sometimes we might end up in wet/muddy conditions etc. Just a good feature no matter what brand. Bottom line, would no longer detect without one, as I had for years beforehand.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deteknix Xpointer is best and most reliable robust punpointer I've ever used...and I've used them all.

Trust me...if anyone gets a Deteknix Xpointer....they will not be disappointed!

Matt.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt

I haven't tried the Xpointer, but the new Xpointer Pro waterproof was s big disappointment in sensitivity and responsiveness. Instant return. Have you tried the Pro?

Voyager32

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Vancouver B.C.
Detector(s) used
ScubaTector
Equinox 600
Harbor freight
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the XPointer pro and love it, 4 sensitivity settings and waterproof to 200 ft, never a problem.
Deteknix Xpointer is best and most reliable robust punpointer I've ever used...and I've used them all.

Trust me...if anyone gets a Deteknix Xpointer....they will not be disappointed!

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt

I haven't tried the Xpointer, but the new Xpointer Pro waterproof was s big disappointment in sensitivity and responsiveness. Instant return. Have you tried the Pro?

Nah, only ever had the original one, takes the 9v square battery.

Love it.

Matt

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As many of you know, I am getting ready to buy an Equinox 800. There are many deals out here with all sorts of bundles and add on components - many of which I think are probably not worth the money.

Anyway, several of the bundle deals have a Minelab Pro-Find 35 Pin Pointer for $129.

Is the Minelab pointer a good unit? Is it worth the money?

I have been reading lots of reviews and it seems the Garrett AT Pro Pointer gets better ratings and is about half the cost.

What do you use and which would you recommend?

Thanks

I have only used two. First was Garrett Carrot for three years. Ok pointer, main gripe was pain in rear to cycle through all the modes each time to change the sensitivity. Waste of time.
Now have Minelab Pro-find 35. Their method of cycling through the sensitivity settings is what you would expect. two buttons one for + and one for -. Other than that the Carrot was a good detector. Get one that is water proof.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A have collected pinpointers, like some women buy shoes, and out of all of mine, the $89 X-Pointer remains as solid in use as it was on day1. For the money, it is a great pointer. I can't remember one time that it failed to satisfy.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used two. First was Garrett Carrot for three years. Ok pointer, main gripe was pain in rear to cycle through all the modes each time to change the sensitivity. Waste of time.
Now have Minelab Pro-find 35. Their method of cycling through the sensitivity settings is what you would expect. two buttons one for + and one for -. Other than that the Carrot was a good detector. Get one that is water proof.

There is really never any real need to fool around with the sensitivity settings on the Garrett. Just keep it at max sensitivity to start and then progressive single button pushes (which effectively change the ground balance but has the real effect of lower sensitivity) lowers sensitivity as you zero in on the target in the hole. Works great.

El_Cid_2000

Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got a Garrett AT Pro for Christmas and it's been a game changer! Most any pin pointer will make item recovery quicker, easier, and more enjoyable; you almost can't go wrong.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeepers, I'm on my 4th garrett pro pointer and had no idea the price dropped that much! I paid $127 for each of mine. I hunt almost everyday and they last about 3 years before they start to wack out on you. I thought about the minelab because they advertised discrimination but from the vids I've seen it doesn't work that well. Right now I'd definitely go with the $40 garrett...but I keep saying the person who can produce a truly discriminating pinpointer will die a rich woman or man!

I love the Minelab Profind-35 vs he Garrett Carrot. the Carrot version of having to cycle one way thru all sensitivity audible and silent settings just to change them was a pain. The Profind-35 seems easier. simple + and - buttons to go back and forth.

as far as profind-35 iron discrim? tired it, never found it useful. Heck, I swung my detector coil, dug the hole and am in the hole with m pinpointer just pull out each target responding in the hole. Not that to difficult and fun to see what was co-located in the hole with the target. Plus you pull out some iron trash rather than leave it in the hole to mess you and others up on subsequent hunts.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have almost all of them and I think the TRX is the best; it's deep. I don't have the newest Minelab that discriminates though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Minelab Profind-35 vs he Garrett Carrot. the Carrot version of having to cycle one way thru all sensitivity audible and silent settings just to change them was a pain. The Profind-35 seems easier. simple + and - buttons to go back and forth.

as far as profind-35 iron discrim? tired it, never found it useful. Heck, I swung my detector coil, dug the hole and am in the hole with m pinpointer just pull out each target responding in the hole. Not that to difficult and fun to see what was co-located in the hole with the target. Plus you pull out some iron trash rather than leave it in the hole to mess you and others up on subsequent hunts.

Again, you should never ever have to cycle through the sensitivity settings if you properly use the push button to single press and ratchet down sensitivity during recovery. If you want to shift between vibrate or tone, then yeah PITA, but I never mess with that.

Disc on the ML PF 35 is a useless gimmick in practice: if ferrous and non ferrous are colocated you never know which it is and you end up not trusting it and confirming its sounding off on the nail by recovering the nail. No time saved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread