Best PinPointer ?? Which one to buy?

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As many of you know, I am getting ready to buy an Equinox 800. There are many deals out here with all sorts of bundles and add on components - many of which I think are probably not worth the money.

Anyway, several of the bundle deals have a Minelab Pro-Find 35 Pin Pointer for $129.

Is the Minelab pointer a good unit? Is it worth the money?

I have been reading lots of reviews and it seems the Garrett AT Pro Pointer gets better ratings and is about half the cost.

What do you use and which would you recommend?

Thanks

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wil get varying opinions on this but you get what you pay for with pinpointers. I love the Whites TRX so thats my vote , I have 2 of them . One thing to consider is whether you want it to pinpont on the tip only or on the tip and sides , I like the tip only so it dosent pick up stuff all over the hole if it is a deep target but that is just me. Good luck on whichever you decide.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used and have a Garrett carrot, TRX and fisher f pulse. The f pulse feels the best in your hand. The Garrett carrot is one of those ones you can't go wrong with and the TRX is a falsing, chirping mess.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to start a huge debate here
surrender.gif
but look at the Makro pinpointer. All I used in the past were the Garretts, from the original black pointers to the Carrots. They worked good but the tip wears until a hole is formed and some had falsing issues. I acquired a Makro and a Whites TRX from a member on another popular forum; both were like new and I used both in a comparison.
The Makro comes with very durable tip protectors, one smooth and one with a very well defined scraper edge.(These tip protectors can also be purchased separately as needed) Some of us use our pinpointers to scrape when we are in the heat of the moment recovering what we hope to be a great find. In doing this though, it will wear on the tip of the pinpointer. I sold the TRX but I have had my Makro now for 2 years and have experienced ZERO problems and the tip of the pinpointer still looks like new.
Just something to consider.
We all work or worked(retired guys/gals) hard for our money and we want to get the best bang for the buck, especially since MD'ing is our hobby/passion. Just my $.02

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like my Garrett pin pointer been using the Garrett right from the first day they came out ...And never had any problem with them..

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
F-Pulse or Garrett Propointer AT. I love side detection, but I do own and carry a Whites TRX in tandem with my F-Pulse. I used to carry the Garretts with the TRX, and still would if I didn't own the F-Pulse. TRX is good but makes you "wander" the tip a lot in a pile of dirt. Tip only detection is tedious! Cool for pre dig though, before digging a 3-4" detected target. Yea, the F-Pulse, or Garretts, in that order.

Pro Find 35 pointers are for sale for 129 at many places, every day, no special.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Propointer - can't go wrong!:occasion14:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve tried a number of pin pointers over the years and the Pro Find 35 is my choice hands down.
It’s waterproof, simple to adjust and can discriminate iron.

The Garrett’s are a popular choice, especially the Carrot which is water proof, but can’t discriminate.

The TRX on the other hand is much more complex to adjust, doesn’t discriminate and can false more so than any other I’ve used.

Just my experience...other’s mileage may vary.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve tried a number of pin pointers over the years and the Pro Find 35 is my choice hands down.
It’s waterproof, simple to adjust and can discriminate iron.

The Garrett’s are a popular choice, especially the Carrot which is water proof, but can’t discriminate.

The TRX on the other hand is much more complex to adjust, doesn’t discriminate and can false more so than any other I’ve used.

Just my experience...other’s mileage may vary.

I have the Garrett's and the Minelab 35. True, the minilab is VERY easy to adj. depth, but the ferrous/non-ferrous feature? It only works if you are within about one inch from a small target, which is somewhat useless, if your that close, your not going to stop because it says, "Iron", otherwise, a really good pinpointer, however, after buying and using it, I went back to the Garretts. I think almost any pinpointer will do you well, I do not want to go back to hunting without one. EVER!

hunt2day

Greenie
Jun 22, 2012
Lake County Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2
Tesoro SandShark
Garrett AT
Minelab Equinox
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my two Garrett's. Never any problems and I use them each and every time I detect, cannot imagine digging without one !!!!!!!!!!!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fpoint works well and I appreciate the “hey don’t leave me here” beep feature, Would have saved me some anxious moments when I have had to search for a left on the ground pp in the past.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
You wil get varying opinions on this but you get what you pay for with pinpointers. I love the Whites TRX so thats my vote , I have 2 of them . One thing to consider is whether you want it to pinpont on the tip only or on the tip and sides , I like the tip only so it dosent pick up stuff all over the hole if it is a deep target but that is just me. Good luck on whichever you decide.

I've used the TRX for several years and I like it very much. Just an aside, last year at the end of my hunt, I was crossing a well used state road where the cars travel at 50+mph. I was on somewhat of a curve with limited line of sight, so I ran (and I use that term VERY loosely - picture Grumpy with a bad knee and back) across the road in order to avoid joining the various road-kills already adorning the macadam. As I got to my car on the opposite shoulder, I realized that my TRX had fallen out of my pouch when I hobbled/high-stepped across the road. I looked over just in time to see a pickup run it over at an estimated ground speed of just below Mach 1. The TRX went about 3 feet into the air and clattered to the asphalt. You can imagine my thought (unprintable in this forum) and I risked life and limb to play "Frogger" once more and pick up the pieces. To my amazement, the TRX wasn't broken and in fact, still works today. By the way, this is the same TRX I dropped on a beach in New Hampshire early one summer morning a couple years back and was able to find around 11am with beach-goers all around within 25' of it. I guess no one recognized a $100+ pinpointer, cause it sure as heck wouldn't have been there if they had. Maybe my TRX is trying to tell me something?

Anyway, I find it to be reliable. The biggest drawback is that it isn't waterproof. Like MDs, there are a lot of different models out there and many will fit your needs and budget. Hint: If you "run" across roadways, don't leave your pinpointer sitting in your open finds pouch.

HH
dts

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garrett carrot and love it. I can offer one piece of advice, don't go cheap with one of the off market pointers, there not worth the plastic they are made of.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have to add...I never had real issues with any of my Garretts, like I did with the F-Pulse. The F-pulse had to go back, and the unit I have now, DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME STELLAR DEPTH! Fisher techs, even the quality engineer, says my average depth detection I am living with now, is within specs.

Anybody tells you that they pinpoint pre-digs on 4" signals, are lucky. Fisher made me lose confidence in how they ended my whole situation by saying, "It is operating within specifications." I felt that answer was an "easy out" and I will always miss that first F-Pulse. It did hit 4 inches, even 5+ on nickels. Fisher support wouldn't admit that the first iteration was a lot deeper.

I don't like that type of support. All in all though, I just live with it, but a Garrett AT Pro pinpointer gets the same depth, plus none of mine have given me the trouble that the F-Pulse has, beginning within 2 weeks.

Garretts service is outstanding! Never had one question after their service.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newest TRX pin pointers ARE waterproof.....not just water resistant. I've had mine underwater many times. Any of the major detector companies have a good pin pointer. I'd get one that truly is waterproof. Other than that, check out the features you like best. Personally, I like one that has a silent mode (vibrator), waterproof, brightly colored, a tether ring, tip only detection, and feels good in my hand. You can deal with tip wear on any of them. Most have tip protectors available, or, do like I've done a few times, dip the tip in Epoxy when needed to protect the end.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have three I like...Deteknix X-Pointer, Makro and a Carrot. I've had very good luck and performance from all of them. The X-Pointer is the best bargain...if money's a factor.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-pointer is cheapest and best i have ever used.

It's a PI pointer...doesnt false like my old Garretts.

Matt.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Profind 35. Discriminates. Ive had a bunch and i would exclude the fpulse if your using the nox or ctx. Makes them go nuts because it is a PI. Profind 35 and Garrett are great to use with the Nox.

jdiggs_treasure

Jan 12, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Xp deus 11"x35/9"HF roundl/Mi6
Minelab equinox 800 11"& 6" coils
Killer b wasp headphones
Whites prostars
garrett carrot
Predator ranger shovel/raptor digger
Lesche t handle/ hand digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the black Garrett for about 2 years before it started to false pretty bad.. now I'm using the Garrett Carrot with the equinox and my mi6 with my deus..

Had my Garrett Carrot for 2 years now and it's still going strong..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread