Equinox picks through the trash

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 2BAD6294-C070-428C-8954-BAF66DE92D44.jpeg
    2BAD6294-C070-428C-8954-BAF66DE92D44.jpeg
    982.4 KB · Views: 109

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul. Congrats! looks like you have the nox tuned just right.

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 600. I hunt in Park 1 with the sensitivity at 18, 5 tones, and swing speed at 2. Even with the sensitivity at 18, the Equinox goes plenty deep in my soil around here.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ta go.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Niiice, this is why I think I'll end up with the 800 when I sell the motorcycle...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice clad shooting. The EQ is a coin magnet.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a local high school with a couple of baseball diamonds behind it for a couple of hours on Sunday . There was a ton of trashy targets but the Equinox picked out the good stuff, no problem. Can’t wait till I can get that 6” coil.

You cleaned it up! Must be a good school to hunt! The Minelab Equinox amazes me every time I use it. Hard to not use it 24-7.

I still have not use my Equinox 6" smart coil very much. Have not needed to as the the stock coil is so good!

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cleaned it up! Must be a good school to hunt! The Minelab Equinox amazes me every time I use it. Hard to not use it 24-7.

I still have not use my Equinox 6" smart coil very much. Have not needed to as the the stock coil is so good!

Thanks Bart; I have you to thank for giving me the killer deal on the Equinox 600:notworthy:. Yes, the stock coil does very well for its size, probably one of the better stock coils on a detector in that price range. I can’t help but think that the 6” coil would be a laser in trash-filled areas. Thanks again for the great deal; when I am ready for the 6” coil, you will be the first to know.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice clad run, congratulations! :occasion14:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 600. I hunt in Park 1 with the sensitivity at 18, 5 tones, and swing speed at 2. Even with the sensitivity at 18, the Equinox goes plenty deep in my soil around here.

You do not vary sensitivity for any reason? Are you limited to 18 vice the default of 20 due to EMI or for some other reason?

I pretty much vary sensitivity on a site-by-site basis depending on the targets of interest (depth), trash density, and what the EMI conditions will allow. 18 does still give good depth, but I have found it drops off pretty quickly if you lower it to 15 or below so I try to keep it as high as EMI will allow unless I need to lower it due to thick trash.

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do not vary sensitivity for any reason? Are you limited to 18 vice the default of 20 due to EMI or for some other reason?

I pretty much vary sensitivity on a site-by-site basis depending on the targets of interest (depth), trash density, and what the EMI conditions will allow. 18 does still give good depth, but I have found it drops off pretty quickly if you lower it to 15 or below so I try to keep it as high as EMI will allow unless I need to lower it due to thick trash.

A lot of the parks I hunt frequently aren’t very old so depth isn’t an issue. When sorting through the multiple targets at these parks, I hear better target separation with the sensitivity dialed back. Maybe it’s just me but I can hear better separation at 16-18 versus 21-22. The Equinox seems to be very sensitive by nature and hunting at 18 sensitivity has still managed to hit quarters at 6-8” easily.
If I am hunting an old park/site, I will adjust sensitivity accordingly while watching/listening for EMI. I look at it like turning up the TV at home. You can go to full volume and back it off just until the distortion goes away which may still be too loud or start at the low side and turn it up until it is comfortable. Obviously, when detecting, soil type and condition play a big role in sensitivity settings as well.:icon_thumright:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the parks I hunt frequently aren’t very old so depth isn’t an issue. When sorting through the multiple targets at these parks, I hear better target separation with the sensitivity dialed back. Maybe it’s just me but I can hear better separation at 16-18 versus 21-22. The Equinox seems to be very sensitive by nature and hunting at 18 sensitivity has still managed to hit quarters at 6-8” easily.
If I am hunting an old park/site, I will adjust sensitivity accordingly while watching/listening for EMI. I look at it like turning up the TV at home. You can go to full volume and back it off just until the distortion goes away which may still be too loud or start at the low side and turn it up until it is comfortable. Obviously, when detecting, soil type and condition play a big role in sensitivity settings as well.:icon_thumright:

Thanks. And I agree that you should only use as much sensitivity as you need to and lowering sensitivity in high trash situations is advantageous even if you don't need to do it purely due to EMI. I was just surprised to see such a specific number because my site conditions vary significantly in terms of trash and EMI that sensitivity is my third adjustment right after noise cancelling and ground balancing.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You WILL like that 6" coil a lot. I have it, I use it, I like it. (When the hunting area calls for it of course)

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many hours on the Nox and here in Iron 18 is great much less iron falsing and depth testing diff in minimal if any. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread