Equinox complete carbon-fiber shaft design project NEARLY COMPLETE...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all;

Just wanted to give a heads-up that while lower rod sales continue at a brisk pace, I'm also nearing completion on the design of the complete carbon-fiber shaft system (that I've hinted about before). I will have two prototypes (using two similar, but slightly different clamping cam-lock systems) built in about 2 weeks (parts are in production now), and then, after some final testing, I'll be ready to ramp up to production mode.

I think these will be really nice shafts; my main focus over the past couple of months has been the cam lock system -- specifically the strength/security/stability of the cam lock. The goals are two-fold -- 1.) to eliminate ALL wobble issues experienced by some users with the factory shaft, and 2.) to HOPEFULLY eliminate the spring button/button hole design.

While I will continue to offer my lower shafts WITH the spring button (so that my lower rods will remain compatible with Minelab's middle shaft), my expectation is that the clamping cam locks on my shaft will meet the design spec for strength/stability -- which would mean NO BUTTON HOLES REQUIRED in the shaft. The intent of the design has been with an eye toward the final result being somewhat akin to the CTX 3030 type of shaft -- i.e. a secure cam lock, permitting "universal" adjustment lengths for the lower rod.

Anyway, I expect to have these shafts ready soon; shortly thereafter, I expect to have a rather unique counter-balancing system available as an optional add-on accessary, to achieve perfect balance for the machine (through the availability of several different weights, each one appropriate for each of the different coils, and for different lower rod adjustment lengths). Finally, a custom arm cuff may also become an optional add-on accessory in the not-too-distant future.

I'll offer more information later -- once I have the prototypes assembled and can take some pictures.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hopefully your cam locks will not suffer from the shortfalls of other mechanisms in dealing with salt, sand and dirt.
In specific the excessive amount of maintenance and/or disassembly needed in cleaning to prevent binding of parts and the breaking of nylon/plastic bolts. Interesting project, good luck.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great news, Steve!

When you do get a list going I'd like to get on it ASAP.

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear Steve! I just sent a message regarding lower rod. I'm still on the list for the complete shaft?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI and Indiana Mark --

Thanks for the kind words; you are both on the list for a complete shaft when they are ready to do!

WaterWalker --

Salt/sand can cause fits for our equipment, as you well know. There is not a real easy way around that, aside from maintaining use of high-quality parts and pieces -- down to the screws, etc. However, given that some sand/salt issues are probably inevitable if you are a beach/surf hunter, and you use your equipment heavily enough/long enough (especially if you don't do a little basic rinsing/cleaning after use), it has been a LARGE focus of mine during the design process that I use REPLACEABLE cam locks. While most cam locks utilized for detector shafts are of the type where the upper portion is permanently fused to the upper rod -- I wanted to avoid that with my design. That way, if any issues should ever arise with someone's cam lock (especially those who use them heavily in salt water/sand applications), allowing the cam to be replaced entirely seems to be the more ideal/sensible approach. So that's an integral part of my design -- a very secure cam-locking system, but one that is easily replaceable for my customers, in the event that should ever become necessary. And yes, I will sell them separately, as a replacement part.

Thanks all!

Steve

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add me to the list also Steve! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cygnus —

You got it! :). Thanks for the interest!

More details will be forthcoming as soon as get the prototypes built...

Steve

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, please ADD me to your list, would like to get a lower carbon rod right now to mount a 6" coil on, but very interested in the overall cam-lock system as I really want a unit I can compress and fit in a backpack without taking everything apart. PM me on how I go about getting the lower rod. Thank you !

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ctdirtdigger --

THANKS for your interest!

Sending you a PM momentarily...

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WaterWalker --

I thought of one other thing I wanted to mention, based on your post where you stated concerns about the effects of salt water and sand on "nylon/plastic bolts." I wanted to let you know that while the "body" of my clamping cam lock will be made of injection-molded plastic, all the metal components of my lock (the lever pivot pin, the adjustment and attachment screws, etc.) will be made of stainless steel, not plastic/nylon -- specifically with the intent to provide better performance in salt-water environments.

Thanks!

Steve

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if you could make a "travel" shaft with no piece longer than 20"? Fit easily in a small backpack or carry on bag? The metal spring buttons keep the shafts aligned easily, will your cam locks and shafts have any way to line them up easily? Thanks! Your product looks very nice!!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gunsil --

Thanks for your interest, and your kind words.

I'll see if I can give you the answers you are looking for.

First, I plan to make the "complete" shafts either way -- WITHOUT button holes (standard shaft), or WITH button holes (custom shaft), depending upon the desires of the individual. The lower rod portion would come with a spring button installed by default (so as to be compatible with Minelab's middle shaft), but the standard "upper" shaft would not have button holes -- as it seems most users prefer the flexibility of "universal adjustment," as opposed to the "fixed" adjustment positions dictated by the button/button hole design. Again, though, one of the "custom" options for the shaft would be to include the button holes, for anyone who so desires.

On the "standard" shaft (the one without button holes), there would not be any type of "easy alignment" feature -- a knob, cam, etc. -- built into the shaft. On the other hand, if you choose the custom option WITH the button holes, obviously there would be that "built-in alignment" as allowed by the button holes.

In terms of the "travel shaft," I could certainly consider building a "three-piece" shaft, i.e. a "travel-type" shaft, as a custom design for anyone interested. One limitation is that the upper two sections of the rod could not be "telescopic," for several reasons -- one of which being the protrusions into the upper shaft from the "nipple" on bottom of the control-box handle, and from the "through bolt" that secures the arm cuff. So, to connect the two upper shaft sections, it would require use of a non-telescopic type of connector, such as a threaded coupling. But, it could certainly be done.

As for length of the individual sections, I'm not sure if you could get the overall extension length you need, if all pieces had to be 20" or less. It would be VERY close -- and likely TOO short, for some users-- as the maximum shaft length you could achieve if limited to a maximum of 20" for the shaft sections, would only be about 58". Again, though, if that shaft extension length limitation is not an issue for an individual user, I could certainly build such a shaft. That's one of the things I hope is a benefit to my customers -- the ability to have things "customized" to their liking, when the "standard" design is not 100% optimal.

Again, thanks for your interest; please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick update...

Parts shipments were delayed a bit (blamed on the Holiday, LOL), but parts from two different suppliers -- including two VERY simillar but slightly different clamping cam locks -- are now en route, with tracking. The parts will allow me to build two prototype complete shafts, for final testing/evaluation. By the middle to end of next week, I hope (assuming no remaining "bugs" in the design) to make a selection, in terms of which company I will contract with as the parts supplier, based on this evaluation/testing. Production of the shafts would then likely follow within a few weeks thereafter.

I plan to put up a thread on the prototypes, with pictures, as soon as the prototypes are built...

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take one

Can you add me to the list as well?

Thanks,
-Bill

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

I sure can! Consider it done!

Thanks for your interest!

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah, you are in Norman! Are you with BBH?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wallrat --

I AM in Norman, yes!

No, I am not "with" BBH; I'm an independent small business. But, Bart is a friend, and BBH customers can purchase my rods through BBH; they are for sale through the BBH website.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ed,

You got it, sir! I've added you -- and will let you know that parts are now in production for the first batch of shafts; I am currently expecting about mid-January for the first ones to be ready for sale.

THANK YOU (and thanks for your service!)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread