The Minelab Equinox: “An Advanced Guide”

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
DFX, GQA2, (2) 'Cuda, Excal, (1 & 2) Sov. Elite, CZ20, Surf Dual Field...
has anybody reviewed or read Clives new BOOK?

Just curious before I buy

"The Minelab Equinox: “An Advanced Guide”
Announcing: “The Minelab Equinox: An Advanced Guide.”
By Clive James Clynick
Our postal workers here in Toronto have been ordered back to work—clearing the way for me to begin a full-on book launch of the new one: ”The Minelab Equinox: An Advanced Guide.” Thanks to those who have shown interest in the couple of dozen proofs so far. What I’ve tried to do in this book is to lay out the Equinox’s strengths. These are its operating characteristics: good noise reduction, effective built in bias, good target ID at depth, good low conductor sensitivity–to begin with. The general theme of the book is how to get the most from these strengths in the field—both depth performance and accuracy. This is a detector that gives quite a lot of information–audio and meter. Understanding some basic detector theory can help to make sense of this information–what it means. This theory is very simple and has to do with the fact that the ground forms part of the signal—and that there is a ton of information to be gotten from these “ground noises”–the amount of difficulty that the machine has in separating targets from it.
I believe that the way to become more accurate with the Equinox is to have a good grasp of these basic general skills that are applicable to all situations. With this in hand—accurate, effective applications become much easier to develop. Although there are several “beach” programs detailed in the book—these are more for teaching purposes—they illustrate skills and principles that are generalizable across situations.
Years ago when I got my first Sovereign–all you had was your manual. There were a few seasoned hunters who posted methods on the Findmall forum. I cut and pasted these and read this one sheet multiple times. This gave me a good general knowledge of how this detector operated. These methods—things such as coil control target testing (the various types of target test passes), all metal signal confirming, (tone and location on the ground) for example increased my accuracy dramatically. With the Equinox’s sophisticated processing and filtering—these kinds of super quick tests are much more effective and can give you a ton of target information. So this would be one general idea that’s covered in the book—skill building and developing your accuracy by understanding what the machine is telling you.
Good Luck Detecting,
Clive
November, 2018

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
…a few more reviews…
Great 2nd book for the Equinox its full of great tips and how to use the machine in different situations. The advanced guide is not just for advanced users. All users of the EQX will find this book very useful. Clive has a wealth of knowledge and testing has gone into the book. “An Advanced Guide” should be your go to book for helping you understanding the machine!
JF
Clive has been able to show some of the best features of an incredible machine, this is an excellent read to assist in getting the most out of the equinox!
-Minelab Detexpert/YouTube personality: Red Beard Relic Hunter -DJ Dowling

I have both books now and they are awesome. I keep them close so I can study them on these cold days. Anyone one that has a Equinox needs these books.
CM

“It is definitely worth every cent. It doesn’t just tell you what it does like the manual it explains things thoroughly like no face book post or you tube video ever could.”
DS AUS

Especially in his second book he goes into more detail how to quiet down this detector using proper ground balance, noise canceling, sensitivity adjustments and recovery speed, mode and frequency selection and iron balance. All of these properly used will result in a quiet machine with little or no adverse effect on depth. In some cases with proper frequency and mode selection along with proper ground balance, noise canceling and sensitivity settings you will actually increase your depth and ability to find weaker targets.
JR

A great read, even more detailed information than the first book. Highly recommended, yes I paid for my copy received about 4 weeks ago. It’s a book that will take several reads and a bit of practical to sink in.
Thank you for your hard work Clive.
DH

This is a great source of reference material that you can go back to again and again as you learn to master the Equinox 800 + 600 on the beach…..
A book well worth the read by Clive Clynick !

Brian Mayer, Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters
Thanks guys,
cjc

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
…a few more reviews…
(haters be dammed...)

Great 2nd book for the Equinox its full of great tips and how to use the machine in different situations. The advanced guide is not just for advanced users. All users of the EQX will find this book very useful. Clive has a wealth of knowledge and testing has gone into the book. “An Advanced Guide” should be your go to book for helping you understanding the machine!
JF
Clive has been able to show some of the best features of an incredible machine, this is an excellent read to assist in getting the most out of the equinox!
-Minelab Detexpert/YouTube personality: Red Beard Relic Hunter -DJ Dowling

I have both books now and they are awesome. I keep them close so I can study them on these cold days. Anyone one that has a Equinox needs these books.
CM

“It is definitely worth every cent. It doesn’t just tell you what it does like the manual it explains things thoroughly like no face book post or you tube video ever could.”
DS AUS

Especially in his second book he goes into more detail how to quiet down this detector using proper ground balance, noise canceling, sensitivity adjustments and recovery speed, mode and frequency selection and iron balance. All of these properly used will result in a quiet machine with little or no adverse effect on depth. In some cases with proper frequency and mode selection along with proper ground balance, noise canceling and sensitivity settings you will actually increase your depth and ability to find weaker targets.
JR

A great read, even more detailed information than the first book. Highly recommended, yes I paid for my copy received about 4 weeks ago. It’s a book that will take several reads and a bit of practical to sink in.
Thank you for your hard work Clive.
DH

This is a great source of reference material that you can go back to again and again as you learn to master the Equinox 800 + 600 on the beach…..
A book well worth the read by Clive Clynick !

Brian Mayer, Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters
Thanks guys,
cjc

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Small reference books, on the thing I love to do most, is very welcome in my library. I learn about my detectors from different sources. For example: in the field using the detector. On forums like this one and printed help from experienced detectorists like Clive.
All of these “points of information” help shape my overall understanding of what my detector can do, my abilities as a user and how I can improve those capabilities.
Order is in for the latest book from Clive.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amergin,

I have Clive’s book and enjoy it. I would also recommend getting Andy Sabisch’s book “The Minelab Equinox 600 800 Metal Detector Hand Book” which is available on Amazon. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andy-Sabisch-Minelab-Equinox-Detector/dp/B07S24YMFY

Screenshot_20200313-145645~2.jpg

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully he had someone proof read it so its not filled with tons of errors like the beginner to advanced booklet

No, he didn’t.
dts

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
Hopefully all these haters can find an old guy to pester for advice and mentoring when I get tired of flogging these books. As far as a lot of new hunters are concerned--the old skills that allow you to build skill and accuracy with any detector you pick up will go with me.....
These people don't know what they don't know and when that information becomes available to them they cry because there's a typo or they can't get a PDF copy sent to their phone. Good luck with your "push button detecting."
cjc

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered his first book made a copy and gave the original copy away to someone on the forum.. I did order his new book and will do the same make a copy and give the original away if anyone is interested.

I'm interested & I'll pay the postage.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered his first book made a copy and gave the original copy away to someone on the forum.. I did order his new book and will do the same make a copy and give the original away if anyone is interested.

I'm interested & I'll pay the postage.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the same in a lot of forums though...you get the odd few muppets who can completely dismiss any aatempt you have made in replying to a post trying to help, Instead, If you have made a typo, they don't care that you have made a reply attempting to contribute or help, they Just pull you up on your typos. Geez. I hate that.

If It was a book or forum post dedicated to helping you with your English degree/exam...fair enough...but this is a metal detecting hobby so any advice in forums and books etc...typos do not matter.

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An example is my genuine typo above, which I will purposely not edit as an example.

Matt

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread